I'm guessing there're no robes for the hot tub

RMLincoln

We'll be on Midnatsol in late October for the round-trip, 11 nights. I'm looking forward to using the hot tub and watching the stars but realizing that there are probably no robes to wear to the hot tub up top. Are there towels up there to use? Are the room towels big enough to wrap up in? Or do people just come back to their rooms dripping all the way... yuk.

Any experiences to relay would help! Thanks so much. m--

We were on the Midnatsol in December 2012 and used the hot tub every evening. We wore clothes over our swim suit and brought a towel from the room. There's an enclosed place to hang your things. It was a bit cold when we rushed over to the hot tub, but it wasn't too bad and the water was delightful. When we got out of the hot tub, we were warm and would grab our things and go inside (there's glass doors into the ship next to the hot tub area). We'd dry off inside and then just wrap the towel around us - we didn't bother putting our clothes back on. A robe would have been nice, but we didn't find it problematic to not have one. I think the suites have robes, but we stayed in a standard room.

Remember to bring a beanie/knit hat for your head while you sit in the hot tub. That way, your head stays as warm as the rest of your body in the warm water.

We loved our trip and the hot tub!

Excellent description! Thank you so, so much RSF. We live in the mountains of New Mexico at high elevation and love to use our outdoor hot tub all year, so we are used to the quick dash to the tub and then how the warmth stays with you when you get out.

Sounds like the room towels will be sufficient for our needs. I have REI microfleece(?) towels in a large size which packs down to about 6x6x 3/4" and wring out to just damp but I'd rather not have to pack even those if we can do without them. Our Hurtigruten trip will be 11 nights of a 65 night trip so I'm really packing light and multi-purpose for every item... using just a carry-on size wheeled case plus shoulder tote each. Did 30 days like that last time in Europe but this trip has more varied climates and 3 cruises (H + river cruise + transatlantic back to the states... so formal wear is getting left behind in favor of warmer layers :) But gotta have that hot tub soak! m--

Hope you enjoy the hot tub as much as we did. I reread what I wrote - although the area to hang your things is "enclosed" - it's not totally enclosed. It's a round structure with a roof, and a wide opening on one side with no door. It's just a cabana type place to hang your things.

A Hurtigruten trip and Norway are special.. Read these boards and you'll be well prepared. And post any questions you have!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hope you enjoy the hot tub as much as we did. I reread what I wrote - although the area to hang your things is "enclosed" - it's not totally enclosed. It's a round structure with a roof, and a wide opening on one side with no door. It's just a cabana type place to hang your things.

A Hurtigruten trip and Norway are special.. Read these boards and you'll be well prepared. And post any questions you have!

OK, Questions now getting down to the minutia....

Are the towels a terry type cloth or the waffle weave (not as absorbent) which is so common in Europe? Are they big enough to go around you... more or less? If we bring 2 soggy towels back to the cabin from the hot tub soak in the evening I guess we'll have soggy towels in the morning until after the room steward comes around after breakfast, so no dry towels for morning... but the hot tub soak will be worth it. ;)

Thanks for your feedback and the encouragement. The Hurtigruten trip is a bit of a leap of faith for us. I wish CC had comprehensive picture reviews from past passengers but every tidbit helps. Many thanks to you. m--

The towels are average at best - both for size and absorbency. Typical average hotel white terry towels, and two years ago they were not waffle towels. You can ask the room steward for extra towels, so you can have nice dry towels in the morning.

Have you read the Hurtigruten member reviews? I find them to be quite interesting. People who don't understand the type "cruise" Hurtigruten offers, are often disappointed and write negative reviews about no entertainment, food only at specified times, and short port times. Those who understand the type of cruise generally rave about it. Feel free to ask your questions - the more prepared you are the happier you will be!

The towels are average at best - both for size and absorbency. Typical average hotel white terry towels, and two years ago they were not waffle towels. You can ask the room steward for extra towels, so you can have nice dry towels in the morning.

Have you read the Hurtigruten member reviews? I find them to be quite interesting. People who don't understand the type "cruise" Hurtigruten offers, are often disappointed and write negative reviews about no entertainment, food only at specified times, and short port times. Those who understand the type of cruise generally rave about it. Feel free to ask your questions - the more prepared you are the happier you will be!

Thanks again, and yes, have read many reviews. Have friends that have done the 6 day northbound.... but always more data to gather :D Good to know we can request extra towels.

I do feel like we will have a wonderful time as we are going for the scenery and the experience. Have loved fiord cruising in Alaska, Chile and New Zealand so what better place to see next than Norway!

Have asked if there is decaf coffee on the coffee mug plan, otherwise it's no good for me but that is something I can find out on board.

Still a little troubled about how cold it will be in late October and hoping I will have the right layers... Not bringing ice grips, just warm lined good soled booties by Sorel. And damp air is not what we are used at 30- 40-ish. Hoping for some warmer days but maybe wishful thinking. Before Norway we stop in Iceland, then after Norway on to a river cruise across Europe; then Rome and a transatlantic cruise back to US... (maybe I already said that? oh well) so we'll have many climates and trying to pack light!! OIY! A challenge but an amazing adventure soon. So excited! Hurtigruten is such a special opportunity. Thanks for your sharing. m--

Edited by RMLincoln

So I'm assuming they keep the hot tub open nice and late, unlike most regular cruise ships (at least that I've been on.) Sounds wonderful, although I now have to limit myself to 10 minutes.

I believe the hot tubs were open 24 hours. I do not remember any signs giving specified hours.

Have asked if there is decaf coffee on the coffee mug plan, otherwise it's no good for me but that is something I can find out on board.

Still a little troubled about how cold it will be in late October and hoping I will have the right layers... Not bringing ice grips, just warm lined good soled booties by Sorel. And damp air is not what we are used at 30- 40-ish. Hoping for some warmer days but maybe wishful thinking. Before Norway we stop in Iceland, then after Norway on to a river cruise across Europe; then Rome and a transatlantic cruise back to US... (maybe I already said that? oh well) so we'll have many climates and trying to pack light!! OIY! A challenge but an amazing adventure soon. So excited! Hurtigruten is such a special opportunity. Thanks for your sharing. m--

I drink caffeinated coffee, so have no idea about decaf :-/

We were surprised how "warm" it was in December. The temperatures were mainly in the low 30's, so very doable with layers. And I'm not used to cold weather - have lived in Southern CA for over 40 years and do not ski or do other cold weather sports with any regularity. We did take crampons, but if you need them, they were available for purchase in the port stores; don't remember if the ship had them or not. The sidewalks were generally covered in hard packed snow, so the crampons were helpful - I also had a hiking stick with me, but I realize you want to travel light.

your trip sounds fascinating!

Edited by RSF Cruiser