Silver Wind March 19th 2015 Singapore to Muscat

Master Echo

Hello there

Is anyone out there either lurkers or not who have booked the above cruise on the Wind?

If there are, you are already at a disadvantage as you are currently, as I type, unable to register for the "meet and mingle party" for this cruise, as apparently the date for this and various other cruises throughout the year have not been loaded!! Hang on in there, and your patience may be rewarded!! After all we only have just over 120 days before sailing!!

Is there anyone out there who would be interested in doing a private trip, in particular am trying to organising a private speedboat trip to Phang Nga and islands from Phuket, which obviously will depend on numbers.

Anyone else interested in doing "their own thing" or meeting up with other fellow passengers in the various ports, please do get in touch.

Looking forward to hearing from you

Kindest regards

Master Echo

• 3 months later...

Hi Master Echo

I must have missed your message. We have booked on this cruise, and have now joined the meet and mingle.There are two of us, DH and I.

We have made arrangements for Phuket, but would be open to meet up and have a drink and a chat.

Best Wishes

Kendal girl:)

Hi, my husband and I will be on this cruise also. While we have been to Singapore before, the rest of the stops will be new for us, so we are excited!

Look forward to meeting you all - and we would be happy to meet for a drink as well!

Best, NJBelle

Hi NJBelle

We are the same as you. We have also only been to Singapore, with the other places new to us. We are having a few days in Singapore before sailing. At the other end, in Muscat, our flight home is the same day but not until nearly midnight. I am still thinking about what to do. I have looked for a day room but no luck at the moment.

Where are you travelling from? We're flying in from the UK.

Best Wishes

Kendal Girl

Nice to hear from you Kendal Girl and NJBelle,

I see there are now ten of us for the meet and mingle. This should be held within a few days of sailing so that we will be able to meet up then.

Not long now!! :D:D

Bon Voyage and have a good flight

Kindest regards

Master Echo

• 3 weeks later...

I lived in Muscat for two years. Too bad you are not staying longer than the day you arrive. Almost all intl flts depart around midnight. Has to do with the heat. Not sure when you are arriving but Muscat can get dreadfully hot and humid.

I am not sure where the cruise ship docks, but I suspect near the Corniche. Just across from the corniche is the start of teh Souks. Have a look around in there and bargain liek there is no tomorrow. WIll need Omani Rials (about $2.63 per rial as most do not take CC. Some of the nicer shops will take cc however. Check out the gold and silver souks embedded within. There is some fantastic silversmiths there. Just ask my wife:-) Near by also is a restored fort. I have never been in it as it was under renovation when I lived there. If you just want a peacful day relaxing by a pool, try the Al Bustan Palace. Was originally built as a G7 meeting hotel. It is a 5+ star hotel and would be about 45 mins to Seeb Airport. Another nice thing added since I was there is the Grand Mosque. Tours can be arranged also.

If there for a few days, I would recommend traveling to the interior to the Jebel Shams area. There is an area almost like the Grand Canyon in there. Other options are a travel to Bala, considered a witchcraft town by the local Omanis. And of course Nizwa, if you can catch the goat auction, quite a site.

Pay particular attention to the dress of the men. Some will appear formal and others will appear more tattered. Those are the Omanis with roots in Zanzibar, the spice island, that Oman used to rule. The skin color will be considerably darker as well.

Best of luck, we loved Oman.

Best of luck.

PS If you are a fan of geology, pay close attention to some of the rocks as you drive thru Muscat. The country was once submerged and very much further south than it is today, during that time coral reefs formed, as the landmass moved back northward and collided with the Saudi landmass, it resurfaced and now all of the reefs are preserved on eh surface. It is a fossil hunters paradise.