Cruise Line App

WhoWantsToCruise

From what the app says, if you don't purchase an internet package, the app will still work, and nothing else.

To confirm, group messaging still isn't available? We are traveling with three other families, so it would be nice to have group communications while on-board. (Edit: Nevermind. I see group messaging is now available.)

Edited by pseudoswede

You need wifi to be turned back on after going into airplane mode. The app uses wifi to communicate.

airplane mode shuts off all antennas. including wifi.

Do you just turn wifi on and they don't charge you because you haven't signed in and gotten a password or something, but the app will work?

As a side note, probably a good idea to go into settings and turn off data via cell connection unless you have an international data plan.

airplane mode shuts off all antennas. including wifi.

Do you just turn wifi on and they don't charge you because you haven't signed in and gotten a password or something, but the app will work?

That's what it sounds like. (Disclaimer: Our first DCL cruise is next month. I'm just doing a lot of research.)

Here is a PDF version of the FAQ that I got my information from. It appears to be consistent with what I've read on the app and elsewhere online. https://media.disneywebcontent.com/StaticFiles/DTA-Domestic/pdf/DCL/DCL_FAQ_NavApp.pdf

Once on board the ship connect the app to the ship’s Wi-Fi:

• In “Settings,” turn “Airplane Mode” ON. Important: this will prevent roaming charges.

• In “Settings” turn “Wi-Fi” ON. This will find networks available onboard.

• Select the “DCL-GUEST” Wi-Finetwork.

• Tap “DCL-GUEST” and turn “Auto-Login” OFF and “Auto-Join” ON.

• Launch the Disney Cruise Line Navigator app and let the magic begin.

Is there any charge to download or use this app onboard?

No. The app is free, though standard data charges from your wireless carrier may apply. Use of the app, via the “DCL-GUEST” wireless network, is also free. Please be aware that using the “DCL-GUEST” wireless network for other uses, like e-mail and surfing the Internet is subject to additional costs.

Upon further reading, you must buy an internet package through dclguest.com (when on-board and connected to DCL-GUEST) for any external internet to work. If you don't buy an internet package, then you won't be able to access the internet, but the app will still work. This is why it tells you to disable automatic login, because if you don't, it will take you to the dclguest.com capture page every time you connect to DCL-GUEST.

Edited by pseudoswede

I have used the dcl app many times. It works just like it says in airplane mode with wifi on. That's how the access to the dcl wifi service works. I always turn off cellular data just in case. If you have iMessage you can text to people at home without a problem. And we FaceTime regularly. To avoid big charges for phone calls we always use Skype phone service via wifi. Works great. I buy the 1000 mb package. For our last 7 day cruise I ran out the night before we got back. I found the ship internet works great. My probkem is remembering to log off on all devices. We have two iPhones and an iPad. If you have logged off on one device it could still be running on another. You need to log off on all devices.