4 X 4 Adventure Tour/Green Monkey vs Harrison Cave

crusinwen

We are interested in doing a 4x4 tour of this island. They both travel along the coast as well as in the tropical areas, 1 goes to Harrison Caves; while the other goes to see wildlife and monkeys....... here is the description from the RCCL site of the other choice...See playful green monkeys and colorful birds as you ride through a lush Barbados forest on a rugged 4x4 vehicle. Tour the island's Wildlife Reserve on foot and on wheels, on this captivating tour deep into the island's interior. Keep your eyes peeled for glimpses of the elusive Barbados Green Monkey. Kidneys from these small primates have produced more than 70 percent of the world's polio vaccines. Afterwards, enjoy breathtaking vistas from the Scotland District. I do not like to book through the ship but I might have to this time. The main company who does this tour is not available on Tuesdays when our ship is in port....probably because the cruise ships have all the available times all taken up.

Anyway, has anyone done either one of these 4 x 4 tours in Barbados? Any input appreciated. Thanks so much!!!

Wendy Snider

Groveland, FL

Edited by crusinwen

We are interested in doing a 4x4 tour of this island. They both travel along the coast as well as in the tropical areas, 1 goes to Harrison Caves; while the other goes to see wildlife and monkeys....... here is the description from the RCCL site of the other choice...See playful green monkeys and colorful birds as you ride through a lush Barbados forest on a rugged 4x4 vehicle. Tour the island's Wildlife Reserve on foot and on wheels, on this captivating tour deep into the island's interior. Keep your eyes peeled for glimpses of the elusive Barbados Green Monkey. Kidneys from these small primates have produced more than 70 percent of the world's polio vaccines. Afterwards, enjoy breathtaking vistas from the Scotland District. I do not like to book through the ship but I might have to this time. The main company who does this tour is not available on Tuesdays when our ship is in port....probably because the cruise ships have all the available times all taken up.

Anyway, has anyone done either one of these 4 x 4 tours in Barbados? Any input appreciated. Thanks so much!!!

Wendy Snider

Groveland, FL

They are both pretty good tours. Personally I would go for the one that includes Harrisons Cave.....mainly because the caves are a one of a kind attraction.

They are both pretty good tours. Personally I would go for the one that includes Harrisons Cave.....mainly because the caves are a one of a kind attraction.

Thanks Keith for your response.....I have heard that the cave is ok..but if you have seen other caves not really that fantastic...I am torn. I use to work for an Orthopedic surgeon in Orlando, FL and one of our patients lived in Barbados but he flew to the states for his medical care....we called him the monkey man because he worked with the monkeys in Barbados...I think I lean that way because of him. I also want to see as much of the island as possible. If I have seen other caves..is this one better than average??? Thats what I am struggling with. We went snorkeling last year in the BVI for a week so not really looking for snorkeling on this trip. Thanks again for posting!!!!

Wendy Snider

Groveland, FL

Thanks Keith for your response.....I have heard that the cave is ok..but if you have seen other caves not really that fantastic...I am torn. I use to work for an Orthopedic surgeon in Orlando, FL and one of our patients lived in Barbados but he flew to the states for his medical care....we called him the monkey man because he worked with the monkeys in Barbados...I think I lean that way because of him. I also want to see as much of the island as possible. If I have seen other caves..is this one better than average??? Thats what I am struggling with. We went snorkeling last year in the BVI for a week so not really looking for snorkeling on this trip. Thanks again for posting!!!!

Wendy Snider

Groveland, FL

To be honest with you since I have not seen other caves it would be disingenuous of me to say that these caves are better than any other.

I would also hasten to add again that choosing the caves is my "personal" preference but the wild life reserve is worth the effort as well.

The easy way out would be to tell you to try both[emoji3] [emoji6] but I recommend you go with your gut and what you believe you will enjoy more. ..you can't go wrong either way IMHO. What ever you pick I am sure you will enjoy.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Our groups has done the 4x4 and green monkeys and found it very enjoyable. It is quite wonderful to walk among the animals. We enjoyed this one so much we have chosen to do it again! Whichever you choose, I'm sure you will enjoy.

Edited by roysue
typo

We did the 4x4 and Harrison's cave April 2014 Hubby and I are in our late 40's and got quite bored! You ride a train like tram down into the cave and can get out in a couple of spots for pictures. We enjoyed the 4x4 part but wouldn't want to do the caves again!

In fact we will be back in April and unfortunately you can't do the 4x4 independently you have to do through the ship so we are just going to find a tour guide to take us on a tour of some different spots on the island as we don't think $40 more per person is worth riding in the back of a truck especially since it's times 5!

We did the 4x4 and Harrison's cave April 2014 Hubby and I are in our late 40's and got quite bored! You ride a train like tram down into the cave and can get out in a couple of spots for pictures. We enjoyed the 4x4 part but wouldn't want to do the caves again!

In fact we will be back in April and unfortunately you can't do the 4x4 independently you have to do through the ship so we are just going to find a tour guide to take us on a tour of some different spots on the island as we don't think $40 more per person is worth riding in the back of a truck especially since it's times 5!

Thanks tidygirl for your feedback!!! I think I can put the caves to rest....still considering doing the 4 x 4's and the green monkeys.....I will continue doing some research on the area tho. Thanks again! Wendy

Our groups has done the 4x4 and green monkeys and found it very enjoyable. It is quite wonderful to walk among the animals. We enjoyed this one so much we have chosen to do it again! Whichever you choose, I'm sure you will enjoy.

Thanks Sue! I think I am leaning toward doing this tour! Thanks again!

Wendy

• 1 month later...

We traveled in the 4x4 around the island. We saw sugar cane fields and sugar cane processing plants. We traveled to the interior of the island and saw some lovely homes. We stopped at Bathsheba which I think is fabulous! The surf is rough and the area is strewn with boulders the size of houses. We walked through this area and took some amazing photos. Our driver was very good at pointing out the native wildlife along the way., I know there was more but that's all I can remember right now. We are taking this tour again on our March 6th cruise. I can give more info after that if you would like.

Sue