Just back AMA Sonata, High water closes down river

catskier

Catskier, we are taking our first River cruise (many ocean cruises) on the Sonata in March. Did you by any chance have one of the double balcony cabins? If so, can you share your experience? Also, how was the food and wine on board?

Any other info on the Sonata is much appreciated. We are doing the Tulip Time AMS-AMS cruise. Any must see, can't miss suggestions? We will have time in AMS before and after the cruise.

Thanks!!!

PS, Hi Caviargirl, long time no post for me, but you have always been such a help to me in the past!!!!!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Nice to see you, luvtocook :)

We had a twin balcony cabin on AmaCerto and also on AmaBella and loved these cabins! It was so nice to be able to sit outside and have a glass of wine before dinner or to read while I was waiting for DH to get ready in the mornings. Since the cabin also has the interior balcony, it was the best of both worlds. Bathroom was well laid out as well and we love AMA's power showers.

We did Tulip Time on AmaBella in April. Loved the ports but don't expect scenic cruising as this part of the river is quite industrial. The gardens at Keukenhoff were 85% in bloom and the sun shining when we visited. It was just beautiful!

I recommend the Limited Edition Jordann Walking Tour in Amsterdam if you would enjoy a glimpse into every day life. We also pre-booked tickets for the Anne Frank Haus and were so glad we did.

We did the Limited Excursion Chocolate Making Tour in Ghent and that was fun, although it was Lent and for me that meant no chocolate. But the family run shop we visited was delightful and DH ate my share of the goodies.

Antwerp was probably our favorite port. We got off the boat very early and hopped a train to Brussels as we missed it last trip to this area. We spent a few hours there and then were back in Antwerp in time for a late lunch in town. There was a port change on our itinerary and we did not visit Rotterdam but rather another small town whose name escapes me but that was delightful!

Food and wine is consistently very good to excellent on AMA in our 4 cruises with them so far. We have experienced some differences boat to boat with AmaCerto being at the top, followed by AmaDante, then AmaDagio and last AmaBella.

Don't forget to book at Erlebnis for a wonderful dining experience.

Hope your trip is wonderful!

Edited by caviargal

Nice to see you, luvtocook :)

We had a twin balcony cabin on AmaCerto and also on AmaBella and loved these cabins! It was so nice to be able to sit outside and have a glass of wine before dinner or to read while I was waiting for DH to get ready in the mornings. Since the cabin also has the interior balcony, it was the best of both worlds. Bathroom was well laid out as well and we love AMA's power showers.

REALLY looking forward to this!

We did Tulip Time on AmaBella in April. Loved the ports but don't expect scenic cruising as this part of the river is quite industrial. The gardens at Keukenhoff were 85% in bloom and the sun shining when we visited. It was just beautiful!

I recommend the Limited Edition Jordann Walking Tour in Amsterdam if you would enjoy a glimpse into every day life. We also pre-booked tickets for the Anne Frank Haus and were so glad we did.

We plan on pre booking the Anne Frank house as well. I will look into the Jordann tour, I have read the area is not to be missed.

We did the Limited Excursion Chocolate Making Tour in Ghent and that was fun, although it was Lent and for me that meant no chocolate. But the family run shop we visited was delightful and DH ate my share of the goodies.

OMG!!!!! I can SOOOO do that!!!!

Antwerp was probably our favorite port. We got off the boat very early and hopped a train to Brussels as we missed it last trip to this area. We spent a few hours there and then were back in Antwerp in time for a late lunch in town. There was a port change on our itinerary and we did not visit Rotterdam but rather another small town whose name escapes me but that was delightful!

Looking forward to Antwerp, DH, not so much, he sees diamond $$$$$$$$

Food and wine is consistently very good to excellent on AMA in our 4 cruises with them so far. We have experienced some differences boat to boat with AmaCerto being at the top, followed by AmaDante, then AmaDagio and last AmaBella.

Don't forget to book at Erlebnis for a wonderful dining experience.

What is this?

Hope your trip is wonderful!

Erlebnis is the specialty dining venue aft on Deck 3. It is included and requires advance reservation. The menu is fixed and does not change throughout the week.

Remember you can reserve the Limited Edition Tours as soon as you have made final payment and completed online check in.

Erlebnis is the specialty dining venue aft on Deck 3. It is included and requires advance reservation. The menu is fixed and does not change throughout the week.

Remember you can reserve the Limited Edition Tours as soon as you have made final payment and completed online check in.

We make final payment next week and have done most of the online info already. Just waiting to start the final planning!!!! I am celebrating a sort of "big" birthday 😊 while on board, so maybe that will be a good night to book the specialty dining! I believe I read where it is called Chef's Table on the Sonata too. Definitely interested.

Catskier, we are taking our first River cruise (many ocean cruises) on the Sonata in March. Did you by any chance have one of the double balcony cabins? If so, can you share your experience? Also, how was the food and wine on board?

Any other info on the Sonata is much appreciated. We are doing the Tulip Time AMS-AMS cruise. Any must see, can't miss suggestions? We will have time in AMS before and after the cruise.

Thanks!!!

PS, Hi Caviargirl, long time no post for me, but you have always been such a help to me in the past!!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This was my first river cruise as well. I did like the double balcony. It was cold in October so I never really sat out on it, but I loved to poke my head out to get air, see the river flowing, and the scenery. I liked looking in the other ships windows while in a lock. Without even having to get out of bed. As most were in the middle of the night. I don't sleep well, so loved being inches away from the balcony window, and watching everything go by. The rooms were very tight. But comfortable. I never really "used" the inside balcony, they have a table there, I would write in my journal there, but the drapes never seemed open. I know I could of opened them, But we never seemed to be in room long enough. Change and sleep. Might be different if warmer. The top deck is really nice, but again only used once, last day we had a beautiful day, there was a group of 8 of us one on top. In fact me and another braved the weather and jumped in the pool. You'll have a great time.

The wine was good, it was always local. We picked up a couple bottles before departure to have in room, for off times. I bought 1 screw top, the next was a corked bottle, the bartender walked to our room and opened the bottle for us. We just asked for a opener.

We really thought the food good, the steaks I would not order, just the local dishes were better.

For lunch you could do the crazy buffet, which is good, but busy. We found they did a light lunch option in lounge, which had a soup,dessert, salad, and something light. Way better. Not crowded, you could take on top to eat, or sit alone quietly in lounge.

Most of the time you were seated with others, which is great fun, but at times we really wanted to be alone, and not share our day. We meet so many great people, had loads of fun. If your a biker sign up ASAP, the bike trips filled up day one. We were on a wait list for the one I had to do. Lucky the weather was cold, so people backed out.

Edited by catskier

Final payment made, we are all set. Went online to see the extra tours option and it says there are none available for our cruise. Bummer.

Thanks Catskier for your review. I don't think our weather will be too warm in late March, but looking forward to the balconies. We have proper clothes so we should be able to be outside at some point.

I have read where there are some tables for two on board. I know what you mean by just wanting a quiet meal alone sometimes. We always visit the specialty restaurants on cruise ships to have a break from crowded dining rooms. Or just book Aqua Class on Celebrity!!!!!

You'll have a great time, one night we did a night cruise to see Budapest, it was cold & they have blankets in rooms that you take on top. we sat out for awhile. You could use on balcony too. There are tables for 2 but right next to another. The special restaurant you really were paired up with another. Again it is such a small boat after the 1st couple days you know the other travelers. And know who you want to sit with and who to avoid. Luckily we liked the people we were paired up with. We have only traveled Seabourn before, so we are use to smaller ships, but this was more intimate, we met more people. But the level of service was right up there. Most of them knew our names, and what we prefered ( red or white)

Beware the servers at dinner really like to refill your wine. I did not stop him either.

One to many time I had to scolded my guy the next morning for making me feel this way. That was funny.

Lol Catskier!!!! As long as they keep the white flowing, DH and I will be happy campers!!!!! Lol. We have never sailed anything larger than Celebrity S class ships and have sailed their Century before it was stretched--about 700 pax I believe, but we are REALLY looking forward to the smaller ship. We are thinking river cruising may be the perfect fit for us now. Can't wait!!!