First time - must see sites

CruisersfromMD

This will be our first time in Dominica. I was wondering if anyone could let me know what their favorite must see sites are. Trying to figure out what to do when we are there at the end of March.

It's a lush tropical island full of highlights. I recommend checking out at least one waterfall; I visited Trafalgar falls but there are others. Any of a dozen tours should give you a good flavor of the island. I've been there twice and only skimmed the surface.

We visited in December and really loved Titou Gorge.

We also went to Emerald Pool which we found underwhelming....in part because it was a long drive on windy roads.

I loved Dominica!

We are looking at going to Titou Gorge. But we also wanted to bring our dslr camera to Dominica for good pictures. Do you know how or where your valuables could be kept? It would just be a backpack. Thanks

When we were at Titou Gorge this past fall, there wasn't anywhere to stash valuables other than in the taxi we brought there. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any lockers or anything like that. Our driver was waiting for us as he was driving us to several different points on the island throughout the day, so we left most of our stuff in the taxi with him. I left things like my shorts, water bottle, and Chacco's on a bench and hoped they'd still be there when we returned; they were =) For a camera like that, I'd leave it in your taxi, or if you're doing a group tour leave it in that vehicle. From what I remember, it was a fairly short walk (definitely less than 5 minutes) from where the taxi dropped us off to the Gorge, so if you want pictures, you could always go up there with your camera, snap pics, take the camera back to the taxi, and walk back up there to swim the Gorge. It is a really a cool experience to swim through the rocks in the cold, deep water. One guide had shown his group where to jump from the ledge into the Gorge and everyone looked like they were having a good time with that. I'm not a fan of heights, so I didn't partake, but just an FYI.

When we were at Titou Gorge this past fall, there wasn't anywhere to stash valuables other than in the taxi we brought there. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any lockers or anything like that. Our driver was waiting for us as he was driving us to several different points on the island throughout the day, so we left most of our stuff in the taxi with him. I left things like my shorts, water bottle, and Chacco's on a bench and hoped they'd still be there when we returned; they were =) For a camera like that, I'd leave it in your taxi, or if you're doing a group tour leave it in that vehicle. From what I remember, it was a fairly short walk (definitely less than 5 minutes) from where the taxi dropped us off to the Gorge, so if you want pictures, you could always go up there with your camera, snap pics, take the camera back to the taxi, and walk back up there to swim the Gorge. It is a really a cool experience to swim through the rocks in the cold, deep water. One guide had shown his group where to jump from the ledge into the Gorge and everyone looked like they were having a good time with that. I'm not a fan of heights, so I didn't partake, but just an FYI.

Thanks!

Thank you all for the info on sites to see!

Since this is my first time there, I would prefer to take a cruise ship excursion. I found one excursion which we like - called Dominica's Favorites.

Tour Description

Visit a trio of natural attractions showcasing Dominica's unspoiled mountainous beauty. Delight in the panoramic vistas from the historic lookout of Morne Bruce. Inside the national park, see how Trafalgar Falls carved deep gorges and walk through lush tropical rainforest for better views of the dual cascades. A second trail brings you to the park's deep-green Emerald Pool, filled by other falls, where you can cool off with a swim.

• Morne Bruce: This historic mountainside lookout offers expansive views of Roseau, the harbor and botanical gardens.
  • Trafalgar Falls: See the spectacular dual cascades from above, then hit the trail to enjoy the best perspective.
  • Emerald Pool: Walk through the rainforest to this grotto, cooling off with a swim or in the cascade's refreshing mist.

Since this is my first time there, I would prefer to take a cruise ship excursion. I found one excursion which we like - called Dominica's Favorites.

Tour Description

Visit a trio of natural attractions showcasing Dominica's unspoiled mountainous beauty. Delight in the panoramic vistas from the historic lookout of Morne Bruce. Inside the national park, see how Trafalgar Falls carved deep gorges and walk through lush tropical rainforest for better views of the dual cascades. A second trail brings you to the park's deep-green Emerald Pool, filled by other falls, where you can cool off with a swim.

• Morne Bruce: This historic mountainside lookout offers expansive views of Roseau, the harbor and botanical gardens.
  • Trafalgar Falls: See the spectacular dual cascades from above, then hit the trail to enjoy the best perspective.
  • Emerald Pool: Walk through the rainforest to this grotto, cooling off with a swim or in the cascade's refreshing mist.

Just booked this excursion myself for our March Serenade cruise; I feel like it will give my husband and I a good taste of the island.

I know I might have been able to do this cheaper on my own, but I think like you and would prefer to use the ship

You're good. Trafalgar Falls is very nice. Very photo-worthy indeed.

Hint: Morne Bruce is in the Botanical Garden. Ask your guide to show you the Squashed Bus. There should also be a little aviary with some of the island's parrots.

You're good. Trafalgar Falls is very nice. Very photo-worthy indeed.

Hint: Morne Bruce is in the Botanical Garden. Ask your guide to show you the Squashed Bus. There should also be a little aviary with some of the island's parrots.

Small world msmayor. We have been on the Serenade before. That's a nice ship with lots of glass.

Lard Greystoke - thanks for the info. I looked up the Squashed Bus - WOW - pretty interesting that it got squashed by the tree during a hurricane.

It looks like it is a nice tour to see some nice natural attractions.

Thanks!