Carsile beach Barbados

Does anyone know how far tis is from the port?

The tour that Thomson do is only for 3.5 hrs but as we are there all day was looking at maybe getting a taxi. It says it is good for snorkelling :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't think it's a snorkelling beach but stand to be corrected on that. However it's quite close - not far in a taxi. We've walked there and back on a couple of occasions - straight forward route but can be rather hot! Takes about 30/40 minutes depending whether you choose the nearest end to the port (Dockyard) or further on like Harbour Lights. I wouldn't do a Thomson trip here since as you point out you have a long day there and could have much longer at the beach if you choose.

Edited by kruzseeka

This is a good website:

http://www.beachesofbarbados.com/

He calls it Brownes beach, it's around 25/30 mins walk and it's the town beach for Bridgetown. A lot of the ents staff and crew go to the boatyard on that beach, it's a bar with loungers and shades.

Never snorkelled there, but I would take my gear to Brandons beach next time I go, it looked good just from swimming there. That's around 30 mins walk in the other direction, it's a really basic beach though with no chairs or facilities.

There are loads of taxis waiting as soon as you leave the port.

When in Barbados, we went to the Boatyard

Got a taxi from outside the port at a cost of 3 dollars each. Boatyard was 15 dollars admission which included loungers, parasol, a free drink and return bus to the port. An ice bucket with 6 beers cost 15 dollars.

Nice beach, sea, really enjoyed it

Does anyone know how far tis is from the port?

The tour that Thomson do is only for 3.5 hrs but as we are there all day was looking at maybe getting a taxi. It says it is good for snorkelling :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi, was there in February, a place called Lobster Alive which is right next to the Boatyard. Nice beach but not much to see when snorkelling. I would recommend Paynes Bay beach, there you can swim with Turtles just a short swim from the beach. You can jump on a public bus for $1 each. The bus station is just a 10minute walk from the port down Princess Alice Highway.

Terry

Thanks very much guys for all your interesting suggestions :) We are going to try to book the turtle swim when we go next year but will take up some of your suggestions for the rest of our day in Barbados :cool:;)

Always good to gather intelligence Little Nell - I often tap into others' questions and I too appreciate the info and advice to store away for future reference. ;)

Our favourite beach is Accra Beach (used local bus to get there) also once went North to Holetown on local buses too. Don't remember much about the location other than it was next to the resort where the celebs stay. The beach was beautiful but I'd need to research again to determine whether there was suitable bars/facilities/umbrellas etc. but feel sure there must be some. With a b2b it gives you a long day to get to a good beach and Bridgetown itself is very quiet (Sunday). :)

Always good to gather intelligence Little Nell - I often tap into others' questions and I too appreciate the info and advice to store away for future reference. ;)

Our favourite beach is Accra Beach (used local bus to get there) also once went North to Holetown on local buses too. Don't remember much about the location other than it was next to the resort where the celebs stay. The beach was beautiful but I'd need to research again to determine whether there was suitable bars/facilities/umbrellas etc. but feel sure there must be some. With a b2b it gives you a long day to get to a good beach and Bridgetown itself is very quiet (Sunday). :)

Thanks, Kruzseeka. Would appreciate if you could find out about the beach ware. Wouldn't fancy being bitten again. I will save this to my favourites, which is now huge with all the great advice we get on here ;)

Thanks, Kruzseeka. Would appreciate if you could find out about the beach ware. Wouldn't fancy being bitten again. I will save this to my favourites, which is now huge with all the great advice we get on here ;)

Here is an interactive map Little Nell. Click on the beaches and you will see a short video. Rockley Beach is the one we went to last time - also known as Accra (after the hotel close by, I think). It definitely had beach furniture, basic facilities and cocktails(!), wasn't overcrowded and left us thinking it was one of our favourite Caribbean beaches. I wouldn't have been happy without umbrellas etc.

http://www.beachesofbarbados.com/

Now, the one at Holetown I'd have to look at a bit more closely. We got the bus to Holetown and got off in the village and joined the beach just north of Sandy Lane (not showing on the map). Sandy Lane is the resort/beach associated with the celebs. It is a public beach so theoretically you can walk along it - our friends walked that way as we went for a swim but they got the feeling they weren't too welcome as there was security everywhere although I'm sure someone on here said they'd walked on the beach there (might have been geo). I've just looked at some pics I took and yes, there was some beach furniture on the beach we went to but it's not a large beach so I don't know how crowded it gets. It wasn't when we went though.

Apparently there is a beach called Paynes Beach which is just south of Sandy Lane and according to the video you can walk from there along the beach to Sandy Lane too. There is a video link of that one.

But Accra is quite a bit closer so it's debatable whether it's worth travelling up to Holetown.

All this Caribbean talk - would love to be back there! ;)

All good info here, thanks everyone.

Does anyone know what the situation is with buses on a Sunday? Are they still as frequent? We prefer to use the local buses if possible.

There are two bus stations. One is near the port on the opposite side of the road as you walk along the waterfront (10 mins walk?). That's the one where we caught the bus to Holetown (those buses go north I believe). When we did that trip it wasn't weekend as I distinctly remember chatting to some local school children on the way. (It was on the Destiny and the base port was Dom Rep not Barbados). Now as we've walked into Bridgetown on Sundays, I can't say that bus station looked very busy come to think of it. In fact now you've made me try to remember, it's looked very quiet. Found this link - can't even work out which service you'd need but basically it looks as though there are very few buses on Sunday! (if you wanted to folow that up, I'd try emailing the tourist office and asking them about the bus service on Sunday.

http://www.transportboard.com/bus-schedules/?tourist=Holetown&searchDestination=Search&resultstab=1#tab-results

For Accra/Rockley Beach we had to walk right into the centre of Bridgetown to the bus station there (Fairchild Street - over the bridge and to your left). The bus you need is 12A to Sam Lord's Castle. The timetable for that is much more frequent and that's how we travelled to the beach in Feb last year which was on a Sunday so that is doable!

http://www.transportboard.com/bus-schedules/?keyword=rockley+beach&resultstab=1&searchDestination=Search#tab-results

I've just read on this site about tourist buses they run on Sundays. Now that might be interesting too although it doesn't look as though it runs every week.

http://www.barbados.org/tours/barbados-public-transport.htm#.UzRQls5FXk8

Edited by kruzseeka

Thanks for that Kruz, very useful.

The No 1 bus looks like it runs regularly, but..... looking at the reverse timetable it shows as not running on a Sunday, I find this very strange, surely it must come back? As you say, if we end up planning to be there again on a Sunday, an email to the TO will be needed.

12A looks a good option as a change from Brownes and Brandons which we have done before, we actually walked as far as the Hilton and back along the road the first time we went there.

Do you know how far paynes beach is? Just thinking how much it would cost taxi wise?

Also I've heard from boatyard etc that you can go on a boat out to the wrecks and snorkle out there?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I believe we paid $us15 for the taxi, the driver initially wanted $us20. As stated before, the bus is easy and only costs a dollar each. Yes, you can catch a boat from the Boatyard. When we were there in February, a couple of guy's were touting for customers. I think they were asking for $us25 for the trip.

Terry