3 days enough? (from Whittier)

LMCruise

We were booked on a roundtrip cruise, but after discovering the cheaper price and the extended port options on a 1 way, we now have that booked too. Sooner or later I will get around to canceling the other one!

Now--it appears we will have 3 days post cruise from the Carnival Spirit, which arrives on Wednesday in Whittier. Ideally, I would like to fly home (New Jersey) on Sunday.

Is this enough time to get to Denali for a Wonder Lake shuttle? What would you do itinerary wise? I wish we could spend more time, but I only get 12 vacation days a year!

We are a young, childless couple who are pretty high energy. On our recent trip to Maine, we spent almost 2 days straight in a car looking for/at Moose and scenery. We enjoy driving and traveling when the scenery is beautiful.

We are also considering changing to a Southbound cruise, that way our "rushing about" will be done at the beginning rather than the end, hopefully leaving us less tired when we get back.

We just keeping bumping into one another :) .

I can't answer your question but did want to say that we picked southbound so we could do things before the cruise and use it to recoop - but then again we will be so busy with 4 ports that I don't know if it will be possible to relax.

I'm the type of person who likes to get to the port at least a day early. I couldn't see spending an extra vacation day in Vancouver pre-cruise - I'm more interested in seeing Alaska. So we are making the most of our time. We are leaving on Sunday (Sat added too much to the cost to justify leaving then), spending time in Anchorage/Whittier, getting on the ship on Wednesday - getting off on Wednesday in Vancouver ans flying back that day. Since we are going 4th of July week and DH & I both get that day off - we are only going to use 7 days of our vacation time - 8 if we decide to stay home on Thursday to recoop.

We are probably paying more for the week we are going but it will be worth it. One of my sons is in college and the other is developmentally delayed. They are both great kids and love to cruise - especially the youngest. So that week works out good for us.

Good luck and I hope to see you on the website.

C

If your high energy you have plenty of time. If your looking for a cheap place to stay you might check out the cabins at the Trapper Creek General store.

Clean cabins without the luxuries. Also, a nice short side trip is to drive out the Petersville Road to the Forks Roadhouse. It's right there at the Trapper Creek intersection. It's a good road and fairly short drive. Plus on a clear day you can get good views of the mountains.

Well between Anchorage and Whittier (not taking in the tunnel mileage) is only 55-60 miles and the only place to stay would be in Girdwood.

Here's a place in Girdwood that rents various levels of places http://www.alyeskaaccommodations.com/ or there is always the Alyeska Prince, but summer rates can make you go :eek:

Susan in Anchorage :)

We've rented one of the efficiencies in the Alyeska properties before. They used to be right by the Alyeska resort before they moved down the road to the Alyeska Prince.

Right this weekend a guy I work with is at the Ketchum's property (4 bedrooms). They've been renting from them for a few years.

Lots of hiking. There's the tram at the Alyeska Prince plus they have a bunch of other summer activities on their site http://www.alyeskaresort.com/page.asp?intNodeID=10836

Here's another link for stuff to do on Turnagain Arm http://www.bearfootguides.com/communities/turnagaina/turnagaina.htm

Some great places to eat - Chair 5 and Double Musky.

That's the section from Anchorage around to the other side that heads up into Turnagain Pass and then onto the Kenai Peninsula.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Is there ever enough time on vacation? Given the time you have I think you can do a lot with it - especially given the info you shared and how you appear to like to get out and about.

You could get to Denali and take the shuttle in by the first morning off the "boat" if you want. It would be a long drive but it could be done and it would be well worth it. We stopped at Talkeetna in both directions, and I would recommend that side trip also. We stayed at some tent cabins behind the slamon bake across from the Princess Lodge and then just "visited" the lodge to shop and looky-loo!! The lodge is a n ice place but a bit to tours oriented for me. We were also able to hike around the park a bit in the afternoon after our 6 am shuttle.

Budget Queen and others will weigh in, I'm sure, about the distance and the need to allow for lots of time - but it could be done if needed.

Otherwise, if you go out past Whittier there are tours our of Seward and plenty of stops to make in Wasilla - Idatirod Center - or around Anchorage even. Too many possibilities to mention here.

SO-O-O-O-O-O could you do it in three days? Yes Would more be better? Yes Can you get more? No - so deal with what you can get and enjoy the ride!!

Sue

SO-O-O-O-O-O could you do it in three days? Yes Would more be better? Yes Can you get more? No - so deal with what you can get and enjoy the ride!!

Sue

LOL Sue, thanks for the encouragement!! More time for ANY VACATION is always better! I guess my question should be: Is 3 days worth my time and extra expense?

To update, I have switched to a Southbound cruise. So, I'm thinking our schedule may pan out to be:

Saturday-fly to Anchorage. If early flight arrival time, drive to Talkeetna. If not, spend the night in Anchorage or Wasilla

Sunday-Sightsee around Talkeetna (or drive to Talkeetna if in Anchorage the night before). Flightseeing tour of Denali from Talkeetna. Hotel closer to Denali entrance.

Monday--early AM shuttle to Wonder Lake. Hotel closer to Denali entrance.

Tuesday--Husky Homestead Tour. Drive to somewhere closer to Whittier. Hotel there.

Wednesday--drive to Whittier. Board Ship.

What could we give up to go to Seward? I kind of wanted to do the Husky Homestead tour, because I don't think I'm up for spending $850 to ride a sled for 30 minutes. $90 is much more doable, and being an animal person, I think it probably would be more interesting to me to see a kennel.

Three days will be worth it. Of course more would be better, but most of us have vacation limits. We had about the same amount of time last year and had a great three days. We arrived in Seward Friday morning and rented a car. We stopped in Anchorage and had lunch. Stopped and picked up a few things from Wal-mart. We then proceeded to drive to our cabin in Healy making many stops on the way. We had no problems with the drive. Our 14 and 11 year old sons were fine also. We stayed at the Earthsong Lodge in Healy, a little north of Denali. We spent two nights there and would recommend it to any one. The owner owns sledding dogs and they live next to the cabins. He gives a nightly slide show, but he was on vacation when we were there so we didn't attend. On Saturday we took the shuttle bus to the stop before Wonder Lake, I don't think the family would have lasted to Wonder Lake. After the bus we had time to spend in glitter gulch. It stay light pretty late. On Sunday we drove to Talkeetna. We were suppose to go on a raft float but it was raining so hard we decided to skip it. Instead we had breakfast and walked around. We then drove to Alaska Wildlilfe Conversation Center. Before we went to the Airport for our red eye flight we had time to visit Earthquake park. There are some great views of Anchorage from there.

Enjoy your trip, we sure did!

You do not have enough time for both Denali Park and Seward. So I would go with your Denali Park plan and time in Talkeetna. If you want to only consider Talkeetna, you could add Seward with a train from Anchorage, then a direct transfer to Whittier, after an overnight.

Archived