Is this possible - Nelson's Dockyard and beach ?

Nana57

Would like to spend some time in the morning at Nelson Dockyard. Would like to go to the beach after. Any suggestions of how we should do this? How much would a taxi cost to go to the Dockyard and then get another taxi to take us to the beach, Valley or Jolly. Is this possible? Also is Shirley Heights near Dockyard?

Would like to spend some time in the morning at Nelson Dockyard. Would like to go to the beach after. Any suggestions of how we should do this? How much would a taxi cost to go to the Dockyard and then get another taxi to take us to the beach, Valley or Jolly. Is this possible? Also is Shirley Heights near Dockyard?

We took an island tour with Gordon which included Nelson's Dockyard, the Blockyard, Shirley Heights, Devil's Bridge and 1 1/2 hours at Long Bay Beach. So, therefore, yes it is possible to visit Nelson's Dockyard and also spend time at a beach and yes, Shirley Heights is near the Dockyard. Actually you can see Nelson's Dockyard from Shirley Heights.

The view from Shirley Heights. Nelson's Dockyard is located to the far right.

IMG_0577.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We went on this tour on Royal Caribbean and it's great. Its about 4 hours and includes Nelson's Dockyard, Shirley Heights and the beach. We wanted to stay longer on the beach so paid the taxi driver extra to come back for us! Shirley heights is about 10 minutes from Nelson's Dockyard. Take your own taxi? They do not have much insurance so if you want to risk it.......My advice, stay with the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Taxi fare from St Johns to the Dockyard is $24 per vehicle; for up to 4 people. Here is a link to the Antigua website taxi/bus fare info.

http://www.antiguanice.com/v2/client.php?id=675&cat=48

Unfortunately it does not have taxi fare listed from the Dockyard to the beaches, but looking at the map, it appears to be about the same distance, so I would guess it would be at least $24 for that leg. Maybe a bit less for a taxi back to the Dockyard.

We were thinking of doing the same things you are. There are two beaches closer to the dockyard but they do not have the milky blue water like Dickinson and Valley Church beaches are known for. Absolutely gorgeous!

We do not want to waste our precious time waiting on a bus either! Maybe we can find a couple from our roll call that are looking for the same type of day. Shared among two couples, it will be quite cheap even with the multiple taxi fares!

Have a great weekend,

Lauri

Renting a car is the only sensible option on Antigua, in my view. We drove across the island from St John's, stopping to inspect a couple of village churches, had a swim and a walk along deserted and spectacular Half Moon Bay, then drove along the south coast, visited the Dockyard and Shirley Heights and finally swam from both Darkwood Beach as well as the public beach which adjoins the Curtain Bluff Resort. Back to St John's, checked in the car, took a stroll through the town, and back to the ship. I wouldn't do this sort of thing on St Lucia but Antigua? No problems at all.

Renting a car is the only sensible option on Antigua, in my view. We drove across the island from St John's, stopping to inspect a couple of village churches, had a swim and a walk along deserted and spectacular Half Moon Bay, then drove along the south coast, visited the Dockyard and Shirley Heights and finally swam from both Darkwood Beach as well as the public beach which adjoins the Curtain Bluff Resort. Back to St John's, checked in the car, took a stroll through the town, and back to the ship. I wouldn't do this sort of thing on St Lucia but Antigua? No problems at all.

Interesting...that is worth considering. Are the roads in pretty good shape? What side of the road do they drive on? We have considered driving in St Maarten. We have driven in San Juan with no problems. We drive through Chicago often..can't be much worse than that but for very different reasons!

Lauri

Lauri - In Antigua they drive on the left, as in the UK. But the roads are fairly empty and in reasonable condition. Really, you won't have a problem. We rented from Avis for about $80 a day - the car wasn't great because I think rental companies often give their worst cars out to day-trippers from cruise ships, although Hertz in Martinique gave us a brand new Opel . Rental companies should meet you right by the pier.

Edited by Fletcher

Fletcher, Thanks for the information! Good to know the roads were pretty decent and there was not much traffic. I love the freedom a rental car gives you! Driving on the left will be interesting but it is a good skill to learn!

Lauri