Taste of George Town Food Tasting and Cultural Walking Tour

Magnum

We did this tour about a year ago. We enjoyed it and thought it was worth the money.

It is an easy pace for walking and pretty much all on level ground. We went to five places for food samples and visited several other sites along the way. It was hot the day we were there. I would recommend that you have a bottle of water with you. Our guide, the owner, did her best to keep us in the shade but of course that was not always possible.

Our first stop was at Guy Harvey's for a fish, plaintain and rice and beans.

At the National Museum we sampled a special tea and pepper jelly. (Way to hot for my taste.)

We stopped at Singh's Roti Shop for a small portion of Roti - with optional hot and very extra hot sauce. Local beer sample was included here.

Next food stop was Tortuga Rum Company for samples of rum (and punch if you wanted) and rum cake.

Our last stop was at Casanova by the Sea for Italian - Creamy Tomato Basil sauce over pasta and chicken, some bread and some of the best Tiramisu I've ever had.

Sights we saw included: a fresh water well that connects to the sea, the post office and its unique archetecture, a square honoring national heros and one of the early churches on the island.

Our meeting place was a short walk from the tender pier and easy to find. There was ample time to shop after the tour.

Edited by spirit rev

We did this tour about a year ago. We enjoyed it and thought it was worth the money.

It is an easy pace for walking and pretty much all on level ground. We went to five places for food samples and visited several other sites along the way. It was hot the day we were there. I would recommend that you have a bottle of water with you. Our guide, the owner, did her best to keep us in the shade but of course that was not always possible.

Our first stop was at Guy Harvey's for a fish, plaintain and rice and beans.

At the National Museum we sampled a special tea and pepper jelly. (Way to hot for my taste.)

We stopped at Singh's Roti Shop for a small portion of Roti - with optional hot and very extra hot sauce. Local beer sample was included here.

Next food stop was Tortuga Rum Company for samples of rum (and punch if you wanted) and rum cake.

Our last stop was at Casanova by the Sea for Italian - Creamy Tomato Basil sauce over pasta and chicken, some bread and some of the best Tiramisu I've ever had.

Sights we saw included: a fresh water well that connects to the sea, the post office and its unique archetecture, a square honoring national heros and one of the early churches on the island.

Our meeting place was a short walk from the tender pier and easy to find. There was ample time to shop after the tour.

This is perfect! Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

We were hoping to do the Cayman Food Tour during our cruise the last week of March. However, they are not doing tours that week. We are so disappointed as my husband and 18 year old son are quite the foodies and love history. Wish there was something similar since my guys are not really beach lovers. We are open to suggestions if anyone knows of anything.

• 3 weeks later...

We booked this tour last year, but we missed it! We were able to get one of the earliest tenders, and we walked as fast as we could to the meeting place. We were 5 minutes late, and they had left us. We contacted the company and they sent us discounts for another tour, which we are doing this year in May. Is there any way of knowing how to get there in time? We are at the mercy of the tender system and wherever they dock. There are always many ships there and there are always delays. We need to be at the meeting place at 11:00, but our ship does not start tendering until after 10:00. This does not seem to be enough time to me.

Margee

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 4 months later...

Has anyone done this tour very recently? I have tried contacting them thru their web site but they have not yet responded. The calendar on their web site that is supposed to provide information on availability is not showing any information - So I'm hoping that there is someone that has used them in the past month or so and could provide some feedback.