Camp Ocean on Carnival Magic

Sooner-Cruisers

We just got off the Magic. My little girl is 3 and a half, she typically won't go in the nursery at the gym and last year wouldn't do camp carnival on the Triumph. She's home with me, but is a social outgoing girl.

Penguins are the 2-5 age range in Camp Ocean.

We had no expectations one way or the other, but I'm pleased to report that she loved her time in the kids club as we called it. After boarding we took her to the club and looked around with her and met the director. She gave us the schedule for the week. The orientation that night was basically a repeat of what we learned earlier.

Each day had a schedule filled with new and different activities. They seemed to be doing what they said they'd be doing when we checked in, depending on how it was going things may end sooner than planned. Flexibility is key with kids that age, I'm sure. There were usually three lady teachers and one male. They all seemed friendly and good with the kids.

Before going to play each kid had to wash their hands. Another time we saw all the potty trained kids in line for a bathroom break. One of the female teachers supervised them, while the others watched after the other kids. The bathrooms were adorable and the fixtures were all kid sized.

We prepped her for the kids club in advance and talked it up, but we let her decide if she wanted to go. Several times she sent us away because it was so fun and she wasn't ready to leave yet!

Overall, I was really glad for the club since so often you have to ask them to be quiet and not disturb the neighbors, stay close, no running, etc. It was nice to have a place where they could enjoy themselves and not worry about others.

Sample of activities:

Silly songs and dancing

Play doh

Bean bag toss & bowling

Obstacle course

Truck races

Craft projects

Mini scooter races

Free play

Mr potato head

Story time and so much more.

*the waterworks area was so much fun, it had kid sized water slides and a splash pad type area. The kids need to be 36 inches tall to do the slides. This is separate from Camp Ocean, but I wanted to mention it since lo loved it so much!

I'll be glad to answer any questions.

• Like 1

That looks great. We will be on there in less than two weeks and bringing our 3.5 year old daughter. I know she will love Camp Ocean. Thank you very much for the quick review and pictures.

You're welcome! I have the schedule, it's in rough shape from being carried around in our pockets, I'll see if I can at least get a pic of a day or twos schedule.

They also give the lo's parents a cell phone. We told lo to tell a teacher if she wanted to leave and we'd be right there. We also told the teachers the same thing, so they wouldn't hesitate to call us. Have a great trip!

Hopefully, this will be some what legible. It may help to look on your phone or tablet where you can zoom in on the picture.

Welcome Aboard:

ry%3D400

Mon & Tues:

ry%3D480

Wed & Thurs:

ry%3D480

Fri & Sat:

ry%3D480

*Don't miss the Dr Seuss parade and story time. The kids had lots of fun. You march from one end of the ship to the big theater, the kids have signs, tambourines, bells, etc. Then the cruise director reads Cat in the Hat using lots of props, audience participation, and the characters even make an appearance.

Edited by Sooner-Cruisers

I love this review! Thank you so much for posting the pics and schedule. Does anyone know if every sailing has the Dr. Seuss activities now? I thought that was only select itineraries. We don't sail on the Magic until August, but my son is super psyched (he wakes up every morning singing "We're going on a Cruuuuuissse!!"). Here's hoping he doesn't get too shy on us, because I know he will have a blast if he goes...

I love this review! Thank you so much for posting the pics and schedule. Does anyone know if every sailing has the Dr. Seuss activities now? I thought that was only select itineraries. We don't sail on the Magic until August, but my son is super psyched (he wakes up every morning singing "We're going on a Cruuuuuissse!!"). Here's hoping he doesn't get too shy on us, because I know he will have a blast if he goes...

The carnival website will tell you. :D Which ship? On most, coming soon to three. http://www.carnival.com/onboard/seuss-at-sea

I'm not sure how old your ds is, but check target dollar spot before you sale, they'll have dr seuss stuff for back to school. I picked up clearance stuff after we book, got a hat wipe board, pencils, a cup, two bags. I already had crayons (i use them for halloween for littles). Our library had coloring sheets for his b-day so I picked up a few to keep. I'll get dd more into dr seuss before the cruise.

Edit, I saw your ticker, yes, it's on the magic.

Edited by Gardeneroflove

The carnival website will tell you. :D Which ship? On most, coming soon to three. http://www.carnival.com/onboard/seuss-at-sea

I'm not sure how old your ds is, but check target dollar spot before you sale, they'll have dr seuss stuff for back to school. I picked up clearance stuff after we book, got a hat wipe board, pencils, a cup, two bags. I already had crayons (i use them for halloween for littles). Our library had coloring sheets for his b-day so I picked up a few to keep. I'll get dd more into dr seuss before the cruise.

Edit, I saw your ticker, yes, it's on the magic.

Thank you :) I am thrilled to see it on the Magic! It wasnt last April, but we didnt have DS with us anyway... I am mostly excited (on his behalf, of course ;)) for the parade... doesnt that sound like such a blast?!? He is 4 1/2 and I love the idea of checking stores... I will definitely get the Dr Seuss intros underway :D

Thank you :) I am thrilled to see it on the Magic! It wasnt last April, but we didnt have DS with us anyway... I am mostly excited (on his behalf, of course ;)) for the parade... doesnt that sound like such a blast?!? He is 4 1/2 and I love the idea of checking stores... I will definitely get the Dr Seuss intros underway :D

befor you sail...I just caught my typo...

The parade sounds fun! I hoping to find a cat in the hat hat, and other stuff during back to school/halloween.

My 3 year old loves the cat in the hat knows a lot about that books.

The parade was fun, we met in the showtime theater and broke into groups by book titles. We were in the green eggs and ham group. We marched through the ship to the big theater. When we got to the big theater is where we saw some of the characters and the cruise director read the Cat in the Hat to the kids on the stage.

The Dr Seuss brunch is a must, it's $5 per person but it's lots of fun for the kids. The parents ordered steak and eggs-yum, our lo got the cereal crusted French toast, we chose corn flake crusted after reading the warnings of them being too sugary with other flavors. The green eggs and ham look pretty icky, I'd skip the mint green eggs. ;) The kid next to us ordered the pancakes, they are red and normal stacked, he wouldn't touch the red ones. So definitely prepare lo for the different looking food and be prepared to share a table unless you are part of a large group. It's also a good opportunity to take pics. Don't count on the ship photographers. They took lots of pics at the breakfast, but I never saw them up in the gallery, so who knows what happened. I was glad we took our own!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we just got off of the Magic on Sunday and it was a great cruise. The 3 year old loved and we all had a great time. The one thing I thought my 3 year old would have loved the most was Camp Ocean -- she didn't. Not the fault of the staff though -- they did a great job and the place was very cool. She loves hanging out with kids and she always runs up to kids and holds their hands, plays, and interacts but she didn't want to be there this time. She lasted one day there and she would not go back in after that.

Can you tell me more about the waterworks on Magic?

You said the slides are 36" but is that for the big slides? Or for the kid sized ones?

Thinking of booking for next year. My kiddo would be 3 but he's floats around the 1%-3% for height and weight.

Edited by LilMissScareAll

Can you tell me more about the waterworks on Magic?

You said the slides are 36" but is that for the big slides? Or for the kid sized ones?

Thinking of booking for next year. My kiddo would be 3 but he's floats around the 1%-3% for height and weight.

On the stairs leading to the toddler slides it said 36" tall, there was an attendant watching the slide, but they didn't enforce the height. My lo is 37" tall and there were several smaller than her. Grownups can also use those with your lo.

The attendants main goal was making sure kids didn't go down until the last kid was off the slide.

The big slides 42" I think, but I'm not 100% sure. I don't know if they enforce that or not.

There's also a spray ground type area, so there's plenty to do if not interested in the slides.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I want to say thank you as well for the pictures you had posted.

We will be taking our 3.5yo dd in January. She has been on cruises before with us, but this is her first with the opportunity to really enjoy Camp Ocean.

She attends school during the week now so, we are sure she will enjoy the time there.

I see all the different activities on the schedule pictures. When the events are at a different location i.e. movie or lunch, do we need to pick her up and take her or does the staff just take them?

Any other advice for a 3.5yo? This is new territory; trying to road trip from OK and keep her excited/entertained on board.

Any event on the Camp Ocean schedule will be handle by the staff. On port days they will get them lunch if you do not come to get them. On sea days you must come and take them to lunch. For dinner they will shut down around 5 or 6 pm and you will have to get them bring back around 7 or 8.

Mja1209,

All the activities take place in Camp Ocean, the link below has good info about how meals work. The meals are in the Lido, in a roped off section just for them.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1074

Too funny, we are going again in January on the Magic and driving from OKC. We usually stop in Dallas for the night, then the next day stop at a playground at Sonic for a play break around the halfway mark.

We pack the iPad with games that don't require wifi, crayons, coloring book, dolls, manga doodle, sticker books, etc. It's not easy to keep them entertained that long!

• 2 weeks later...