Piraeus/Athens

Two from Virginia

Hi - I have a ticket for this for next week (2 day stop in Athens on HAL Oosterdam). All reviews are very good, including the walking tours that included as part of the ticket, but I'd also be interested to hear from others who have used this. Of note, it's not entirely clear from their website, but I have confirmed with them by email - cruise ship passengers who buy a day ticket, can actually use it for 2 days.

Thanks!

Hi - I have a ticket for this for next week (2 day stop in Athens on HAL Oosterdam). All reviews are very good, including the walking tours that included as part of the ticket, but I'd also be interested to hear from others who have used this. Of note, it's not entirely clear from their website, but I have confirmed with them by email - cruise ship passengers who buy a day ticket, can actually use it for 2 days.

Thanks!

We will be there in August. Please post what you think of it.

Has anyone used CitySightseeing Hop-on/Hop-Off bus in Piraeus and Athens? Pros and cons?

We used CitySightseeing on our port call to Piraeus in the fall of 2014. We got off our ship and walked approx. 100 yds to board the bus. We got off at the Acropolis stop, very easy. Citysightseeing had a table next to the bus at the pier to purchase tickets and answer any questions. Enjoy your trip!

I've never used it in Greece, please post back how it went, I'm very curious. I use the service in two other locations, Sicily and Rome. In Sicily it was nice, no complaints. But Rome was a nightmare. The stops would get crammed with people. There was zero organization, no lines or anything just people pushing their ways to the front.

The worst part was that the busses were extremely overcrowded which meant many times the bus would stop and if no one got off, it wouldn't let anyone on. If there was space, good luck getting in with all the people aggressively pushing their way to the front.

At the time it was my brother and I, we weren't passive either! We tried to fight our way to the front with the rest of the crowd lol. And even by being aggressive ourselves we still managed to not get on the bus. Sometimes we'd have to even wait for the third bus! Keep in mind the bus would pass every 20-30 minutes.

I imagine this is a thing in Rome because of how many touristy spots there are in the city. Everyone wants to get on and off at the Colosseum, The Vatican, The Trevi Fountain etc. Please let us know the experience in Piraeus.

We used the hoho bus from Piraeus port last fall and it was easy and fine . The ticket was good for 2 days so we went back to a street market on the second day after doing sightseeing on the first. We had been to Athens before so it was just right for us. Be aware that the stop at the Acropolis has multiple routes meeting And is very busy.

Thanks!

Please check back and let us know how it was. Also, any tips you may have found out about in Athens. Is there more than one company for hop on hop off bus? Some ports have a couple of them, if there are two let us also know which one you booked! Thanks.

Edited by 2ashevillesailors

We used CitySightseeing on our port call to Piraeus in the fall of 2014. We got off our ship and walked approx. 100 yds to board the bus. We got off at the Acropolis stop, very easy. Citysightseeing had a table next to the bus at the pier to purchase tickets and answer any questions. Enjoy your trip!

Did you spend anytime in Piraeus? This will be our second visit to this port.

Our cruise ship docks in this port on Easter Sunday next year. Any suggestions as to what transport is open and what can we do? We have been there once years ago, but still would like to walk around. Any advise is appreciated.

It was fine. The bus picks up just outside the cruise terminal. 20 Euro for a 2-day pass is great. Even if you only use this to get from the cruise port to Acropolis stop, it would be worth it, IMO. From the Acropolis stop, basically everything in Athens is walking distance. Plaka area is a 10-15 min walk. (very easy and mostly flat, too). Syntagma Square is another 15-20 mins, You can walk to all these places from Acropolis stop, or just use HOHO for another 1 or 2 stops to get to these places.

We used the red company. There is a yellow and a blue company too. All basically the same deal and stop at same places.

They are all WAY better than anything offered by the ship.

We used the Red Line yesterday. Picks up right by the cruise port. We took the bus to the Acropolis and then after that the City Tour. It took around 2 hours if you just stayed on (we did). Traffic was awful and it was very hot. Don't recommend you do the same as us. Get off and walk and then get back on. We were really sorry to see the city is almost covered with graffiti. Every road sign, wall, door, bridge and everything else was affected. It is a real shame because it does detract from the beauty of the city.

We used the Red Line yesterday. Picks up right by the cruise port. We took the bus to the Acropolis and then after that the City Tour. It took around 2 hours if you just stayed on (we did). Traffic was awful and it was very hot. Don't recommend you do the same as us. Get off and walk and then get back on. We were really sorry to see the city is almost covered with graffiti. Every road sign, wall, door, bridge and everything else was affected. It is a real shame because it does detract from the beauty of the city.

Thanks. We were thinking of staying on for the city tour of Piraeus since we will have had a guided tour in Athens.