Vancouver to Seattle via Amtrak

cqlady

We arrive in Vancouver May 9 on Celebrity Infinity. Does anyone know the best way to get from the cruise pier to Amtrak station in Vancouver? And how long it would take?

Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Linda

We arrive in Vancouver May 9 on Celebrity Infinity. Does anyone know the best way to get from the cruise pier to Amtrak station in Vancouver? And how long it would take?

You will be arriving at the Ballantyne Pier (which isn't the main cruise terminal). From there a cab can take you the Amtrak station which is about a mile away.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=851+Centennial+Rd,+Vancouver,+BC+V6A+1A1,+Canada+(Ballantyne)&geocode=11219421675083708986,49.284108,-123.086471&dirflg=&daddr=Vancouver+Amtrak+Station,+Canada&f=d&dq=ballantyne+pier+loc:+vancouver+bc&sll=49.26047,-123.11394&sspn=0.05784,0.073706&cid=49284108,-123086471,9208805099624789835&ie=UTF8&z=15&om=0

Gee, thanks for the quick reply, loved the map. I've never been to Vancouver, so had no idea. Are there any coffee shops at the train station? Wish we could spend some time in Vancouver but need to get to Seattle since we have a flight home early the next morning. I hear the scenery is beautiful on the way to Seattle.

There is a little gift shop and a McDonalds inside the train station. The train doesn't leave til 6 pm, so you will have plenty of time to go somewhere else to eat, if you wish. Drop off your bags with the baggage check (they will hold for you for about $3.00 per bag), and make sure that you are back by not later than about 3:30 to get into line for 4:00 pm check in and 4:30 pm boarding is all you need to do.

Thanks for answering Linda's questions - because you're answering mine as well! Only difference is that we are arriving May 9 on Golden Princess - will the information y'all have given Linda still apply to us? I'm not sure where our ship is docking.

Thanks in advance!

Since the train didn't leave until 6 PM when we did this, when we got off the ship we took a cab from Ballantyne pier over to the Vancouver train station and paid to store our bags with the baggage check. Then we took the Skytrain (across the street from the train station) back into the main part of Vancouver, walked around, ate some lunch etc. Took the Skytrain back to train station mid-afternoon in time to get our bags and check in.

http://www.translink.bc.ca/Transportation_Services/SkyTrain/default.asp

Thanks for answering Linda's questions - because you're answering mine as well! Only difference is that we are arriving May 9 on Golden Princess - will the information y'all have given Linda still apply to us? I'm not sure where our ship is docking.

Yes, the fastest, easiest way from Canada Place to Pacific Station is SkyTrain (subway). At Canada Place terminal, exit the building and you'll see and escallator slightly to your left 100m (yards) ahead on the sidewalk labeled "WATERFRONT". Go down, buy a one zone ($2.50) ticket, turn left, go down one more time, and you're on the platform at Waterfront station. Get on ANY Skytrain (Millenium or Expo Line) and 4 stops/5 minutes later (Burrard, Granville, Stadium...) you're at 'Main Street - Science World" , which is across the street from Pacific Station [amtrak].

If you're taking the late train, vs the train-bus (noon), you can drop/check your bags at the train station (I've not done it as I live here, but I hear they have facilities for this), and if you want to head back into town, reverse the process using the same ticket you already purchased (it's good for 90 minutes).

If we already have tickets for the 6 p.m. train, is it really necessary to be at the station by 3:30 as someone stated? What time does boarding actually begin? We had thought 4:30 would be enough time. What do you think?

Thanks, Mary

I take that train a couple of times a year. The issue isn't tickets, virtually everyone on it already has a ticket -- it is US Immigration, which you do in Vancouver station. That line snakes all around the station, and you get your seats assigned when you get to the head of the line.

You don't have to get there at 3:30, but every time I take it, I usually shoot for getting back to the train station by 4.

PS - when they are offering Business Class, Business Class has a separate (and shorter) line) and if I have a Business Class ticket (a big $9 extra) I don't get back to the station until 5. But Business Class isn't available until they get that train's normal Talgo equipment back from refurbishment, which won't be until sometime in the fall.

I'm a little confused. I saw where the "hours to check luggage" at the Vancouver BC station were almost all day on the day we were taking train (Friday). (see below) I imagined that we would check our luggage that morning instead of storing it. Then I read someone else say that you couldn't check the luggage until you were reading to board the train (due to going through immigrations).

Any ideas if we can check our lugguge and come back later in the day to finish the immigration/boarding process?

checkedbaghours.gif

Checked baggage service is available during the following hours:

OPENCLOSEMonday4:30 pm5:30 pmTuesday08:00 am5:30 pmWednesday4:30 pm5:30 pmThursday4:30 pm5:30 pmFriday08:00 am5:30 pmSaturday4:30 pm5:30 pmSunday08:00 am5:30 pmspacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gif

just a thought.. after the ship drops you off it's going to seattle.. we depart seattle @ 1am for the inside passage trip... see if you can hitch a ride down to seattle?? don't know if they do this..

Archived