Dakar - any advice welcome

tring

We are in Dakar for one day in December and want to spend the day independently. We are well travelled in Africa, including a couple of holdays in The Gambia and quite a lot of travel in Egypt, Tunisia and Morrocco so are well used to dealing with hassle etc.

We are wondering if there is normally a shuttle bus into the town and how easy it can be to get around - will we need to pick up a taxi for the day to drop us at various locations, or is the town walkable? We understand the Grand Mosque is worth seeing and are wondering if there are museums or other sites that are also worth seeing. We just like walking round and having a couple of drink stops as well, but usually stick to hotels for that because of hygiene standards in less developed countries

If there is a particulaly good half day trip, we may consider that, then go into the town for a shorter walk in the afternoon - I think we are docked until late night.

Edited by tring

Dakar is awful - my husband was mugged there - did get our cash back by fighting back- how ever others from the ship and crew were not so lucky. the ship does supply a shuttle bus.It is a "nothing stop" -and i am originally from Africa!!! be careful!!!!

We were in Dakar last February on a Fred Olsen cruise. I posted a review on the FO forum which includes some practical information about Dakar City together with info on the countryside tour my DH went on. The review is near the top of the first page and it may be of some help to you.

I would say to go with an open mind as Senegal is a much poorer nation, materially, than most of us are used to visiting.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

We have spent quite a while looking into Dakar and have decided taking the ferry to Goree Island looks like a good idea. We have looked at the timings for the ship's tour to there and decided they must spend a very limited time at each place on the island - but that is what we do not like about trips! Going alone will mean we can linger here and there and have a couple of leisurly drink stops. Does anyone know if we need to get local currency before going to the island? We would normally be equiped with that, but going into the town to a bank would take extra time which is important on a one day call.

I appreciate that West Africa is not a place most cruise passengers would want to go independent, but as previously stated we are well travelled in Africa and actually spent a couple of weeks in a hotel on the edge of Banjul once and walked into he town quite a bit on our own. At least everyone speaks good English in Gambia, but my husband has an extrememly good command of French, so Dakar should not be a problem for us.

I also aggree that taking care of belongings is very necessary and not taking anything that would be a big problem if stolen and having small bits of cask in different places (bag, pocket etc.). I always think it best to let a crook get away with a small amount of cash than to resist and end up injured. Luckily we have never been in that situation though.

We do keep some clothes specially for poorer countries so we do not look like worthwhile targets and find a simple 'no thanks ' in their own language and taking no further notice soon shakes off even the most persistent of bumpsters. Walking in the sea if on a beach is also a useful move and buying a cheap necklace from someone when you first arrive to show you are not completely new to an area.