Van Nuys Flyaway to LAX

BaileyandBella

I've been on the Flyaway before, the last time was in March, 2001 (yep, that's the last we flew anywhere). It depends on what time of day you're going and if it's a holiday time. As someone who used to commute on the 405, I can attest that it's usually crowded heading to the freeway much of the day, even on weekends. Even worse if people are trying to catch a Thanksgiving or Christmas flight.

I would definitely allow for a couple of hours just in case there's an accident or a car pulled over by a Chippie. Or if it's rainy.

Another thing is to make sure your luggage gets in the baggage area. Fortunately hubby decided to check once before we took off and saw that the driver didn't put everything (like our bags) on the bus. And other than a city vehicle almost crashing into our bus on our return (the driver had to swerve like crazy), it's a pretty good way to get to the airport.

Hi LoveMyThreeGuys, We take the Fly a Way all the time to LAX. It usually takes between 45-60 minutes to get there. Some day when the traffic is awful it will take a little longer..but they do get in the car pool lane which takes them up the hill and to the westside (Santa Monica Blvd) area in a timely fashion. We allow 2 1/2 hours for transportation and check in at the airport..and we do curb side check in ($5 per bag) which makes life so much easier. Just be aware that the buses do fill up quickly at certain times of they day and you have to wait for the next bus if it is sold out. The rate is now $4 each way I believe. Happy Cruising,

Grandma A

Grandma A,

Thanks, I have a question about the curbside check in. Do you "check in" your bags with the Flyaway and then you do not need to stand in line at the counter at the airport?

It sounds great, but I am nervous about my bags getting lost.

OK...how does this timing sound. We are leaving June 13th which is my kids last day of school (crazy I know)....LOL

Our Alaska Airlines flight leaves at 5:30 PM and we are planning on arriving at the Flyaway at 1:00 PM. I am estimating we could leave the Flyaway by 1:30, and then I wanted 2 hours of travel time on the bus just in case there is some awful traffic. So we then get to LAX at 3:30, which is 2 hours ahead like they suggest.

Archived