Bus to Karacter Bar

In Toronto

We visited St. Maarten last year on a cruise and will be stopping there again this year.

We took the bus to Simpson Bay and plan on doing that again. Only problem we had last time, we got off the bus too soon for Karacter and had quite a long walk along the beach. Would like to avoid that this time.

Where would we ask the bus driver to let us off - perhaps Mary's Boon?

Also, is there likely to be construction along that route come November?

I had read in earlier posts that Karacter is closed on Tuesday. Is that still true?

Thanks a lot.

Ellen

We visited St. Maarten last year on a cruise and will be stopping there again this year.

We took the bus to Simpson Bay and plan on doing that again. Only problem we had last time, we got off the bus too soon for Karacter and had quite a long walk along the beach. Would like to avoid that this time.

Where would we ask the bus driver to let us off - perhaps Mary's Boon?

Also, is there likely to be construction along that route come November?

I had read in earlier posts that Karacter is closed on Tuesday. Is that still true?

Thanks a lot.

Ellen

I think that you have two choices for your "quite a long walk", along the beach or on the road. I love beach walks so I would choose the beach myself.

You can find the hours of Karakter beach bar at http://www.karakterbeach.com/

Thanks. We actually got off the bus long before Mary's boon and walked along the road for awhile, then walked down to the beach. It was so hot and I was ready to give up and just go back to the ship. My DH convinced me to go just a little further and, thank goodness the next building was Karakter. We loved it and may return on our next stop.

We had asked a couple, who were walking along the beach, if they knew where it was. They were tourists who had spent the week on that very beach. They had never heard of it. However, followed us out of curiosity and they ended up spending the rest of the day there.

On the way walking back to the bus stop, we went past Mary's Boon so I think we will aim for that unless someone knows of a closer stop.

Ellen

Thanks. We actually got off the bus long before Mary's boon and walked along the road for awhile, then walked down to the beach. It was so hot and I was ready to give up and just go back to the ship. My DH convinced me to go just a little further and, thank goodness the next building was Karakter. We loved it and may return on our next stop.

We had asked a couple, who were walking along the beach, if they knew where it was. They were tourists who had spent the week on that very beach. They had never heard of it. However, followed us out of curiosity and they ended up spending the rest of the day there.

On the way walking back to the bus stop, we went past Mary's Boon so I think we will aim for that unless someone knows of a closer stop.

Ellen

Karakter and Mary's Boon are a minute apart or so on the beach. To enter the parking lot to Karakter you have to take the same road as Mary's Boon and it's a few seconds drive farther than the parking spots for Mary's Boon. I am under the impression that the bus stays on the main road and does not go on the road that Mary's Boon and Karakter back on to.

Did you get off the bus past the Simpson Bay bridge by the McDonalds? I walked from the resort just before the bridge called the RoyalPalm resort all the way to Maho beach and back last July. We stopped both ways at Karakters for food and drinks though. I loved that walk. It was far but at least half of it is on the beach.:) We parked our car at the Royal Palm because it is the sister resort of the resort that we were staying at.

Why don't you ask the bus driver to drop you at the stop closest to Karakter.

Yes, we got off the bus just after the McDonalds. And, yes, we walked along the small road from Karakter past Mary's Boon leading to the main road when leaving. We had actually asked the bus driver on the way there, but he didn't seem to know where Karakters was.

So, this time we will ask for either Karakter or Mary's Boon as our spot to get off.

Normally we are fairly good walkers (although both of us are in our 70's now) but the bus was hot and then not knowing if we were even close to Karakter's was stressful.

Loved the beach and restaurant. Although, thinking of possibly going the other way toward the French side (Orient, Grand Case) this time. Busing that way might be easier. Knowing that we really enjoyed Karakter, do you think we would enjoy that area?

Ellen

Yes, we got off the bus just after the McDonalds. And, yes, we walked along the small road from Karakter past Mary's Boon leading to the main road when leaving. We had actually asked the bus driver on the way there, but he didn't seem to know where Karakters was.

So, this time we will ask for either Karakter or Mary's Boon as our spot to get off.

Normally we are fairly good walkers (although both of us are in our 70's now) but the bus was hot and then not knowing if we were even close to Karakter's was stressful.

Loved the beach and restaurant. Although, thinking of possibly going the other way toward the French side (Orient, Grand Case) this time. Busing that way might be easier. Knowing that we really enjoyed Karakter, do you think we would enjoy that area?

Ellen

DH suggests that you ask the Bus Driver to drop you by the last road befor the start of the airport. Mention the road that Bada Bing the strip club is on. Taxi drivers would now that one;). We drive this way to Karakter so we will go again before our vacation is over and I will come back and post clear directions and distance for you.

I have read of people taking the bus to Marigot and then transferring buses and going on to Grand Case.

I have never read of anyone bussing to Orient but I'm sure it's been done.

I think that you would enjoy Grand Case and if you like people watching then sure why not Orient to. Orient can get really busy though if there are lots of ships in.

So here is my best attempt at instructions. Not my strong suit by a long shot.:)

If you ask the bus driver to drop you just past the Grand Marche in Simpson Bay across the street from Corner Plaza 65 Airport Rd ( big tall sign) and the start of the airport runway fence your walk to Karacter will be just under 1 kilometer all of which is on the road. At this corner you will see a sign for Mary's Boon so follow the road which will curve to the left and at the first street you turn right and you follow the signs to Mary's Boon and just keep on that winding road and shortly after you pass Mary's Boon on the left you will come to the end of the road which is the parking lot for Karakter.

This route will definitely save time and walking on the road is easier than walking on the beach. I hope that the driver will accommodate you. Good luck.:)