A Day in Bergen

I will have an afternoon, night and full day alone in Bergen in early March before meeting up with a friend and others who will be part of a Vantage tour group on one of the Hurtigruten ships for a coastal voyage up to Kirkennes and back. I know I'll want to just walk around a bit that first afternoon, have dinner and then get some sleep.

But, I'm wondering how I might best use my time to see as much as I can of Bergen on my full day alone. We'll get a basic bus tour of the city before boarding the ship, so I don't want anything like that.

I'm an older woman in good health and have good stamina but am not athletic so don't want any hikes, etc. - do they even have them that time of year?

Anyway, ideas? Thanks.

Unfortunately, that's not a great time to be going. Te days are still relatively short, it's cold, and most days are dark grey and raining or with light snow (that keeps things dark rather than light though).

I'd suggest indoor activities are your best bet, so it depends what you prefer. If you're into music, you could do a day trip out to Troldhaugen (Edvard Grieg Museum). It's outside the city, so you need a bit of time to get there.

Unfortunately, that's not a great time to be going. Te days are still relatively short, it's cold, and most days are dark grey and raining or with light snow (that keeps things dark rather than light though).

I'd suggest indoor activities are your best bet, so it depends what you prefer. If you're into music, you could do a day trip out to Troldhaugen (Edvard Grieg Museum). It's outside the city, so you need a bit of time to get there.

I realize it will be cold and snowy perhaps, too. I would still prefer to be outdoors if possible. I've already purchased snow boots, a pair of ski pants and other clothing for the cold of the Arctic, so I'll be prepared for the weather. I'll keep the Edvard Grieg Museum in mind, though.

I will have an afternoon, night and full day alone in Bergen in early March. I'm wondering how I might best use my time to see as much as I can of Bergen.

There is a lot to do in Bergen, even in winter. Be careful to check the days/hours that places are open, they're often not what you would expect.

First place to look is here: http://www.visitbergen.com/en/

I always buy the Bergen Card (from the tourist office) on arrival... it gives me free public transport, a trip up the funicular and free or discounted access to various places. The Bergen guide that goes with the card details opening times & discounts. http://www.e-pages.dk/visitnorway/387/

My favourite (winter) places in Bergen include:

The funicular

Fish market & Bryggen

Aquarium

Håkon’s Hall & Rosenkrantz Tower

Bryggens museum

If you need any shopping, there is a good shopping centre beside the train station.

Which hotel did you book?

There is a lot to do in Bergen, even in winter. Be careful to check the days/hours that places are open, they're often not what you would expect.

First place to look is here: http://www.visitbergen.com/en/

I always buy the Bergen Card (from the tourist office) on arrival... it gives me free public transport, a trip up the funicular and free or discounted access to various places. The Bergen guide that goes with the card details opening times & discounts. http://www.e-pages.dk/visitnorway/387/

My favourite (winter) places in Bergen include:

The funicular

Fish market & Bryggen

Aquarium

Håkon’s Hall & Rosenkrantz Tower

Bryggens museum

If you need any shopping, there is a good shopping centre beside the train station.

Which hotel did you book?

Thank you. This is excellent. I have a long journey as I have to make two stops. I'm leaving out of Raleigh Durham, NC although I live some distance from there and will have to drive over and leave my car. I change in Newark and Copenhagen before arriving in Bergen about 1:00 p.m. I'll take the airport bus into Bergen and check into my hotel and then head for the tourist office so I'll be set to go for the rest of my alone time before my friend arrives the next day.

I booked the Thon for my first night since I am paying for that out of pocket. Then I'll be at the Radisson Royal Blu for a night pre-cruise and a night post-cruise as part of the Vantage package. Vantage has a welcoming dinner at the Radisson the first night and then gives us a tour of some kind before boarding the ship. We're on the Polarlys.

Here are my key notes for Bergen below, plus some of my key visual highlights, eye candy pictures, etc. March is a more challenging and limited time to be there (versus the summer), but it is such a wonderful, charming city. You can see more from other coastal cities on my live/blog connected below. Let us know any other questions, needs.

As the seat of Norway’s medieval kingdom of Norway for six centuries, Bergen is a former Viking stronghold encircled by deep fjords, towering mountains, and sweeping glaciers. Today's Bergen has much of the medieval flavor remaining around Bergen's harbor. We explored the cobblestone streets, saw its pastel-color wooden houses, bargained in some of the many artisans' workshops and visited the famous and always-entertaining Fish Market. You can watch the locals haggling over today's catch and enjoy a quayside lunch of freshly caught salmon or fish and chips.

Rated by Frommers as more scenic than Oslo, Bergen was the base of the medieval Hanseatic merchants. Those historic timbered houses are set around Bryggen or The Wharf, a center for crafts and workshops. Its prime row is mostly reconstructed 14th-century structures, some of which were originally destroyed by fire. Det Hansseatiske Museum depicts commercial life on the wharf in the early 18th century and is highly rates with well-preserved wooden structure. Its art museums are highly-rated with religious icons, local art, etc.

In the afternoon, after some of the big crowds had lessened, we took the Floibanen funicular railway to the top of a 1050-foot high peak for scenic views. This cable car has been operating for over 80 years and was refurbished in 2002. The Funicular Lower Station is situated 150 meters from the Fish Market. At the top of the Mount Floyen, there are hiking trails and places for lunch or dinner. The trip takes seven minutes and both cars are on the same cable going up and down. Mariakirken or St. Mary’s Church is the most outstanding Romanesque church in Norway. Bergen is Norway’s largest port and has a population of 252,000. Scenic Bergen completed our voyage with its dramatic backdrop of seven rounded mountains and cobble-stoned streets. It entices you to take memories and photos cherishing the land of the Norsemen.

Their good and helpful Tourism Office can be accessed on the web at: http://www.visitbergen.com/en

We docked at the fairly handy Skoltegrunskaien Pier. This put us within about a 10-15 minute walk of the main attractions at the market and warehouse area.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 84,116 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

In Bergen, this was our great vista on this sunny day from the top of the Floibanen funicular railway station and its scenic overview.:

BergenHarborView.jpg

As we did our tour of the Hanseatic merchants warehouses in Bergen, this is the view with in the background stone building is shown that was used to store records and valuables that would be safer from fire than if held in the wooden buildings.:

BergenStoneBldgs.jpg

In the Bergen market area, here’s one of the sales tent offerings for local woolen products.

BergenWoolenStore.jpg

The tourism office is located in an historic bank building that faces a key shopping square near the Fish Market. This building faces a Holbrook statute in the square and has interesting architectural details. This picture shows the higher part of this building that faces the harbor.:

BergenTourismBldgTopFront.jpg

Bergenhus Festning Castle is located in the entrance to Bergen’s harbor and is one of the oldest, best-preserved castles in Norway. Shown is Rosenkrantz Tower, built in the mid 1500’s with dungeons on the ground floor, cannons on the top floor, etc. :

BergenFortress.jpg

From the Bergen harbor, this is the view of the station, dining place, etc., for the Floibanen funicular railway at the top of its 1050-foot high peak.:

BergenFuncTrainTop.jpg

Terry, thanks for good advice and wonderful pictures. I'm reading through the thread which your running commentary and other pictures of your cruise. They are all just wonderful.

I especially liked that you got a picture of one of the Hurtigruten ships although it's not the one we'll be on. My friend originally booked this cruise, and since it's been in the top 5 or higher on my bucket list I asked if I could join her. This winter is in a cycle which is supposed to produce spectacular Northern Lights which is why we're going in early March.

So far I'm only up to Trondheim as I read the other thread. What struck me about the cathedral is that I think we have the idea that medieval cathedrals were not built in Scandanavia - probably my perception only.

Beth

Terry, thanks for good advice and wonderful pictures. I'm reading through the thread which your running commentary and other pictures of your cruise. They are all just wonderful. I especially liked that you got a picture of one of the Hurtigruten ships although it's not the one we'll be on. My friend originally booked this cruise, and since it's been in the top 5 or higher on my bucket list I asked if I could join her. This winter is in a cycle which is supposed to produce spectacular Northern Lights which is why we're going in early March. So far I'm only up to Trondheim as I read the other thread. What struck me about the cathedral is that I think we have the idea that medieval cathedrals were not built in Scandanavia - probably my perception only. Beth

Appreciate your kind viewpoint on my pictures and postings. Glad to know you're a person of such high class, great taste and wonderful judgment to make these generous comments.

You'll see later in my July 2010 posting another picture of part of a Hurtigruten ship while docked in Hammerfest. From what we saw and I had read, this firm has a variety of ships, styles, sizes, etc. Below is a more complete picture, closer, of that one ship in this northern port. As I recall, the deck furniture was not fancy, nor matching. Seemed fairly "basic" and simple.

On your question of medieval cathedrals not being built as much in Scandinavia, part of it is that many earlier churches in Norway, Sweden were built of wood, which was a more common and easier-to-use material. Norway really knew how to build great ships and that was simpler than trying to do it stone. The Cathedral in Trondheim is definitely different than what you would normally see there in that area. In those days, it wasn't as easy to ship in quickly or cheaply marble from Italy and/or other such traditional medieval building materials. You worked with what you had close and easier in those days.

Keep reading and let me know any added questions, comments, interests, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 84,116 views.

Here is a closer, full view of one of the Hurtigruten ships while docked in Hammerfest near the northern top of Norway. This ship is a little smaller and older than the others we saw along the Norway coast.

NorwayHurtigrutenShipHammerfest.jpg

Terry, I finally had a look at all the pictures on the other thread, and I read your posts when they had to do with some part of the Norwegian coast or her ports. Thank you for such a great narrative and pictures.

We will not be in the kind of luxury you had. None of the Hurtigruten ships have balcony cabins, and the cabins are very small. We'll be sharing an outside cabin with no more than 139 sq. ft., perhaps less. We tried to upgrade to a mini-suite which has about 275 sq. ft. and a TV, but the only bed is a queen that doesn't separate into twins. My friend and I opted to have our own beds so stayed with the smaller cabin. There is no entertainment. The company says the scenery is the entertainment.

Breakfast and lunch are buffets. Dinner has two seatings, but there is no menu. There is a bar and maybe a couple of lounges. There's a sauna and maybe a hot tub on the deck. Everyone gets the same thing unless someone has specially ordered food for a particular medical issue or is vegetarian. Most of the meals are very Norwegian with lots of fish. There is also no dress up, even at dinner. Casual all the way which I actually like.

We will go to a total of 34 ports, some of them tiny villages. Sometimes we'll only be in port for an hour.

Now, one question: How were the prices at the local artisans' tents near the fish market in Bergen? I always prefer to buy from local people if possible.

Again, thanks for great information and pictures.

Beth

Terry, I finally had a look at all the pictures on the other thread, and I read your posts when they had to do with some part of the Norwegian coast or her ports. Thank you for such a great narrative and pictures. We will not be in the kind of luxury you had. None of the Hurtigruten ships have balcony cabins, and the cabins are very small. We'll be sharing an outside cabin with no more than 139 sq. ft., perhaps less. We tried to upgrade to a mini-suite which has about 275 sq. ft. and a TV, but the only bed is a queen that doesn't separate into twins. My friend and I opted to have our own beds so stayed with the smaller cabin. There is no entertainment. The company says the scenery is the entertainment. Breakfast and lunch are buffets. Dinner has two seatings, but there is no menu. There is a bar and maybe a couple of lounges. There's a sauna and maybe a hot tub on the deck. Everyone gets the same thing unless someone has specially ordered food for a particular medical issue or is vegetarian. Most of the meals are very Norwegian with lots of fish. There is also no dress up, even at dinner. Casual all the way which I actually like. We will go to a total of 34 ports, some of them tiny villages. Sometimes we'll only be in port for an hour. Now, one question: How were the prices at the local artisans' tents near the fish market in Bergen? I always prefer to buy from local people if possible. Again, thanks for great information and pictures. Beth

Hi, again, Beth! Appreciate your added info and background. Wow, 34 different ports is lots. You should see so many different places and interesting sights.

On local prices, as I noted on one of my posts about the Norway economy on the live/blog, don't expect too many bargains and/or super "values" there. Costs are high, high there with the major taxes and significant local labor costs. Some of the wool items in Bergen were not too bad. BUT, on some items, who knows what is really "local" versus being made elsewhere and shipped in from outside of Norway.

Be sure to do a post-trip report and share back how your trip happened, your experiences, lessons learning, what you liked most, etc.

THANKS! Good luck and enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 107,441 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Terry, I had read about the high costs of goods and food and services so will be prepared. Remember that the Hurtigruten ships are also car ferries, and I believe they carry some walk on passengers. I don't think they carry the mail any more, but they may carry some cargo. It will be an entirely new experience.

Beth

We will not be in the kind of luxury you had. None of the Hurtigruten ships have balcony cabins, and the cabins are very small. We'll be sharing an outside cabin with no more than 139 sq. ft., perhaps less. We tried to upgrade to a mini-suite which has about 275 sq. ft. and a TV, but the only bed is a queen that doesn't separate into twins. My friend and I opted to have our own beds so stayed with the smaller cabin. There is no entertainment. The company says the scenery is the entertainment.

You don't really need a top notch cabin for a Hurtigruten trip, since it's very likely that you will go in your cabin mostly for sleeping. During the day the scenery is so stunning that you will spend most of your time outside (if the weather is nice) or in one of the ship's lounge (I don't remember which ship you are on?). And at night, well, you'll be Northern Lights hunting! ;) And then there are the ports of call every 4/5 hours, even on the short stops you can go ashore and enjoy the loading and unloading of cargo, look at the passengers going on and off, it's always very lively. And there are also some excursions if you want to get off the ship for a while. They are a bit pricey but usually nice.

I was in Bergen early March this year (pictures here on my blog), although I didn't stay as long as you will (it was also before a trip with Hurtigruten). At this time of the year the fish market is not as active, and as far as I remember there was no artisans' market nearby. However if you are interested in shopping there are a lot of shops in Bryggen (and in the adjacent streets). One shop I particularly like is the "Christmas Shop" which is on the first house in Bryggen ("Julehuset"). Even if you don't buy anything it's worth a visit, everything is so cute and funny.

You don't really need a top notch cabin for a Hurtigruten trip, since it's very likely that you will go in your cabin mostly for sleeping. During the day the scenery is so stunning that you will spend most of your time outside (if the weather is nice) or in one of the ship's lounge (I don't remember which ship you are on?). And at night, well, you'll be Northern Lights hunting! ;) And then there are the ports of call every 4/5 hours, even on the short stops you can go ashore and enjoy the loading and unloading of cargo, look at the passengers going on and off, it's always very lively. And there are also some excursions if you want to get off the ship for a while. They are a bit pricey but usually nice.

I was in Bergen early March this year (pictures here on my blog), although I didn't stay as long as you will (it was also before a trip with Hurtigruten). At this time of the year the fish market is not as active, and as far as I remember there was no artisans' market nearby. However if you are interested in shopping there are a lot of shops in Bryggen (and in the adjacent streets). One shop I particularly like is the "Christmas Shop" which is on the first house in Bryggen ("Julehuset"). Even if you don't buy anything it's worth a visit, everything is so cute and funny.

Thank you for this good information and the blog. I'm not a big shopper. I like artisan markets because it ususually (but not always) means I can find something representative of the area I'm visiting. I collect boxes and prefer wooden ones. I also collect pottery. Sometimes I can find a small box or small piece of pottery made locally.

I was fine with the cabin we have from the beginning, but my friend thought a bigger cabin might be nice since we don't know each other well.

We are booked through Vantage Travel, and the package includes several tours.

Beth

• 2 weeks later...
I will have an afternoon, night and full day alone in Bergen in early March before meeting up with a friend and others who will be part of a Vantage tour group on one of the Hurtigruten ships for a coastal voyage up to Kirkennes and back. I know I'll want to just walk around a bit that first afternoon, have dinner and then get some sleep.

But, I'm wondering how I might best use my time to see as much as I can of Bergen on my full day alone. We'll get a basic bus tour of the city before boarding the ship, so I don't want anything like that.

I'm an older woman in good health and have good stamina but am not athletic so don't want any hikes, etc. - do they even have them that time of year?

Anyway, ideas? Thanks.

Hi,

First a response to your Roll Call post - I'm not on your voyage but leaving 5 days earlier on Lofoten & we will pass off Lofoten Island about 2030 on 10th, don't forget to wave! :)

Sunrise/sunset times in Bergen before your voyage will be roughly 0730-1830, longer on your return.

First thing I’d suggest is don’t try & do too much, I’d suggest staying in the city centre unless you have a must-do that means travelling outside. If weather’s not awful just walking round letting atmosphere sink in is as rewarding as anything – the Bryggen is an obvious focus but other older areas are also very interesting (eg Nordnes Peninsula between harbour & Hurtigruten Terminal has lots of old wooden dwellings & other buildings in narrow streets & walkways – only disadvantage is that parts are quite hilly)

The Bergen Tourist “bible”: http://www.e-pages.dk/visitnorway/387/

Suggestions on things to do (I’ve visited all except Haakons Hall & can recommend):

• Almost a ritual when I’ve been in Bergen prior to a Hurtigruten trip (& worthwhile in most weather) go up Floibanen (All year: Mon.-Fri. 07.30-23 Sat.-Sun. 08-23) (be at top between 1400-1430 – & see “your boat come in”. It appears from behind woodland hillside to NW (to right as you look out from harbour)

• Hotel Havnekontoret – ask at reception for key to go up tower (on L from reception) to outdoor balcony with superb 360 degree view of city, Bryggen, harbour etc (opposite Radisson Blu Royal towards outer end of Bryggen)

• Hanseatic Museum. (Tue-Sat 11-14 Sun 11-16) “restored” Hanseatic Trading House with representative furniture & smells – gives a good impression of how Bergen must have been a few hundred years ago (at city end of Bryggen)

• Haakons Hall (Daily 12-15, Thu: 15-18) heavily restored but “authentic” Royal Feasting Hall going back to 13th Century still used for Royal/civic functions (outer end of Bryggen, beyond Radisson Blu Royal & Hotel Havnekontoret)

• Rosenkrantz Tower (Sun 12-15) historic 16th Century castle/tower (outer end of Bryggen, beyond Radisson Blu Royal & Hotel Havnekontoret)

• Kjottbasaren - Small shopping centre with interesting outlets in old meat market building (adjacent to Hanseatic Museum at “city end” of Bryggen)

For lunch etc:

if you like Asian Food:

Thai Curry House: Nedre Korskirkeallmenningen 11 (Tu-Su 16-22) +47 55 31 11 99 (was closed on my last visit Jan 12) Tiny café rather than restaurant but freshly cooked good Thai food (close to Korskirken on Kong Oscarsgate)

Also had good value lunch specials at Chinese Restaurant opposite Fish Market/temporary Tourist Office)

Other:

Dickens: Kong Olav Vs Plass 4 (11-24/01) mid-price (for Bergen!) cafe bar restaurant used by locals & visitors (adjacent to Radisson Blu Norge in Torgalmenningen)

or just get Bergen Fish Soup or fishcakes from a café like Madam Bergen or Baker Brun

If you haven’t fully stocked up on Duty Free on arrival (Duty Free shops for arriving international passengers at Bergen/Oslo & other airports – you must buy duty free at first Norwegian airport you land at as subsequent flights are ”domestic”) there are several Vinmonopolets inc. central ones at Valkensdorfgaten 6 & Bergen Storsenter , Vincens Lunges gate 5 (close to Railway Station)

Hope this gives you a flavour,

Fair Winds & Weather,

Richard

ps consider packing/buying/borrowing from hotel an umbrella as there's a good chance of rain in Bergen.

"Tourist to young local Bergen boy: 'when does it stop raining here?' Young boy: 'I don't know, I'm only 10'"

Richard, thanks for such wonderful suggestions. My friend and I have booked a Vantage Travel package and will have a tour of Bergen before we board the Polarlys on March 7. The tour will include Edvard Grieg's house, so I don't plan to leave the city.

I haven't owned or carried an umbrella in more years than I can remember - at least 30 - as I lose them plus I lose the use of one hand. Instead I wear raincoats with hoods, and that's what I will have with me.

7:30 - 18:30 day light is more than we have in NC right now, so that's pretty good.

I want to make sure that you're telling me to buy duty free at the Bergen airport when I arrive. My connection is in Copenhagen, so Bergen is my first and only Norwegian airport. Also, what can I buy that will be less than it will be once I leave the airport?

Again, thanks for good ideas. Right now I'm obsessing about whether or not I can get to Newark on Thursday and on the Brilliance of the Seas on Friday.

Beth

"I want to make sure that you're telling me to buy duty free at the Bergen airport when I arrive. My connection is in Copenhagen, so Bergen is my first and only Norwegian airport. Also, what can I buy that will be less than it will be once I leave the airport?"

Hi Beth,

Yes, buy duty free on arrival at Bergen. Website with prices:

http://www.heinemann-dutyfree.com/bergen_no

Certainly anything alcoholic is much cheaper in duty free. Depending on your tipple spirits have largest savings but I've sometimes bought a wine box to take onboard (for use in cabins only - but you can ask for glasses/ice etc at bar & all wine in glasses looks much the same :-)).

If you want to compare prices with "downtown" Vinmonopolets here's website:

http://www.vinmonopolet.no/

Good luck with your connections through Newark - from news here in UK it sounds like air transport's getting back to normal but with big backlogs to clear.

Richard

"I want to make sure that you're telling me to buy duty free at the Bergen airport when I arrive. My connection is in Copenhagen, so Bergen is my first and only Norwegian airport. Also, what can I buy that will be less than it will be once I leave the airport?"

Hi Beth,

Yes, buy duty free on arrival at Bergen. Website with prices:

http://www.heinemann-dutyfree.com/bergen_no

Certainly anything alcoholic is much cheaper in duty free. Depending on your tipple spirits have largest savings but I've sometimes bought a wine box to take onboard (for use in cabins only - but you can ask for glasses/ice etc at bar & all wine in glasses looks much the same :-)).

If you want to compare prices with "downtown" Vinmonopolets here's website:

http://www.vinmonopolet.no/

Good luck with your connections through Newark - from news here in UK it sounds like air transport's getting back to normal but with big backlogs to clear.

Richard

Thanks for the link to duty free shopping and for letting me know I can take boxed wine onboard. My "go to" drink is gin and tonic, but I rarely have it, preferring most of the time to drink wine at home.

This has been a bit of an anxious week for those of us getting on the ship Friday but only a tiny issue compared to the devastation caused by the storm. I am finally confirmed on my flights but had to change hotels tomorrow night. A friend and I who had been staying in separate rooms at the same hotel are now sharing a room. This will be practice as we're sharing the cabin on the Polarlys in March.

Beth

Richard, a couple of other questions:

First, have you ever ordered wine at the duty free stop ahead of time? I notice that's an option.

Second, how did you get on the ship? Is it legal as long as you drink it in the cabin so taking it onboard is not a problem in and of itself?

Thanks.

Beth

Hi Beth,

No never pre-ordered at Bergen. It's a fairly small airport & there's unlikely to be more than 1 international flight at once. I've always just decided what to get in advance & just picked it off the shelves. I've also never noticed any staff or counter to collect from (tho' I wasn't looking) & only usually 1 or 2 on checkouts.

Not sure if I've actually ever carried a duty free bag(bright red from memory) loose onboard. I think I've always put them inside bags/carry-ons just to avoid carrying seperately. Also Hurtigruten collect baggage at checkin & deliver to your cabin so I try & minimise the amount I carry on board myself.

Again from memory you can check luggage in at terminal from c.1300, checkin from 1500, board from 1600 & access cabins from 1800.

Richard

Archived