Holiday Market Cruises

Jesterscourt

We have been on several river cruises on the Danube, Rhine, Mosel, Seine, and Elbe itineraries. But we are trying to choose an 8 day Christmas/Holiday Markets cruise for next year. Many of these trips have already been reviewed on this forum, but if there is a particular one that stands out, we would like to hear about it. The cruise company or particular ship is not as important as the destinations, or quality and uniqueness of the markets themselves. For example, I am frequently told that Germany has the best Christmas Markets (particularly Nuremberg). The other attribute that is important is what there is to do and see besides the markets. For example, evening concerts (like Vienna) or Christmas lights and decorated villages, homes, and shop windows, etc.). I know this is a difficult question and highly subject to individual tastes, but it would still be informative to hear from folks who have been on several of these holiday cruises to see if there is a trend or consensus of opinion that could help us choose the right trip.

We have done 5 Christmas Market cruises and visited the markets on independent land trips a number of times as well.

Our personal favorite is Austria but really you can only visit Vienna by boat and it is the smaller cities and towns that were the best. Germany is next and there are several itineraries to choose from.

Our least favorite is Nuremberg to Vienna as there is so little time spent in the cities and so much on the boat. We preferred the itinerary that began in Frankfurt and visited Wurzburg, Rothenburg (delightful at Christmas), Bamberg, Regensburg and Nuremberg.

We actually do not care for Nuremberg either as a destination or for the markets. It is always jam packed with people and too crowded to move.

Regensburg, Bamberg and Wurzburg are delightful and have more of a local flavor. We have been to each twice and enjoyed them.

I strongly suggest adding on a few days in Munich - there are so many delightful markets within an easy day trip as well as the markets in Munich itself. Or spend a few nights in Salzburg. Their markets are very nice and there are some picture postcard towns close by that are our favorites at most any time of year but especially at the holidays.

Our hands down favorite city is Berlin which has a variety of markets that offer great entertainment and activities, which are more important to us than shopping though that is also very good.

This year we are returning to Europe for the markets, beginning in Budapest for a few nights then traveling to Prague at the end. We will be on a boat for 7 nights and have 6 nights on land.

I pretty much agree with caviargal's assessment. We are going again this year. We will spend 3 days in Munich, 2 in Salzburg, 2 in Regensburg, and 2 in Nuremburg prior to the cruise. We will be cruising from Nuremburg to Frankfurt on Uniworld. After that it is Mainz, Heidelburg, and Cologne before returning home.

I agree completely with other posters about Munich. Not only is it wonderful during the Holiday season but you have the opportunity to visit other sites as well. BMW World and Museum is well worth a visit. You can also visit Dachau (if you are an American the story of the liberation will make you proud), many museums and cultural sites, Christmas markets, and of course the famous Hofbrau restaurant. Rothenburg is also a Christmas wonderland, as is Vienna. We took the Danube Chriatmas Markets cruise in 2010 and did the three day pre-trip in Munich. We had so much fun we would do it all over again.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the great advice on the Christmas Markets. I also love Berlin, but who knew it would also excel in Christmas Markets! It sounds like many people love the Munich Christmas Markets. It would be nice to begin or end a cruise by spending a few days in Munich. I assume there are good train connections between Munich and many of the ports where the cruises begin or end. Many of them start in Nuremberg, but I remember that they dock outside the city so there would be some difficulty getting to the ship with luggage unless you took an expensive cab ride. How have others managed this?

Thanks for the great advice on the Christmas Markets. I also love Berlin, but who knew it would also excel in Christmas Markets! It sounds like many people love the Munich Christmas Markets. It would be nice to begin or end a cruise by spending a few days in Munich. I assume there are good train connections between Munich and many of the ports where the cruises begin or end. Many of them start in Nuremberg, but I remember that they dock outside the city so there would be some difficulty getting to the ship with luggage unless you took an expensive cab ride. How have others managed this?

The ride from the train station at Nuremberg to the dock costs about 15E. We have done this a number of times. Train ride from Munich is an hour and you can save a bunch by reserving 90 days out.

We have done Christmas markets on the Rhine and the Danube. This December we are doing the Main from Nuremberg to Frankfurt. I think they are all wonderful and can't wait for the next, especially Rothenberg.

Our cruise is just 5 days so we will definitely make the markets. We are spending a week before the cruise at a resort in the German Alps near Garmish.

We love Garmisch and the Bavarian Alps. Last year we went to the top of the Zugspitze and had amazingly sunny weather in late December. Sounds wonderful!

We'll go up the Zugspitz again this year. We have some friends going with us who have never been to Germany, on a European River Cruise, or to a Christmas Market. Should be a lto of fun.

Fred

The Budapest market was one of our favorites. They have a lot of items there that are made by locals that you do not see in the other markets. One of the best things that they have is a pastry that they bake over open coals around a spindle then cover with sugar, honey and/or other good things. It is unbelievable. The market is right near the river where the boats dock so it is easy to walk to.

When we went to the market in Bratislava it was relatively new. We enjoyed it because they had a lot of groups singing, musicians, etc. Also had a lot more food stands than most of the markets. Sausages were really good.

I think you will enjoy both. They are different than the markets you find in Germany.

They have that pastry (baked on a spindle with sugar, nuts etc) in Prague... And they have the booth there (by the Astronomical Clock) in times *other* than during the Christmas markets. We had a piece during our trip in October.

Fran

We've been to Garmish before. The snow was lightly falling. It was Christmas. I felt like I was in a snowglobe.I'm a big fan of Kathie Wolfhart and am looking forward to her shop in Rothenberg.

Yes, it is beautiful with snow and the markets are scattered about the town and quite nice.

As for Kathie Wolfhart, you have to look hard to find pieces not made in China. I was disappointed.

Caviargirl, I read with interest your comment about the Nurnberg to Vienna being your least favorite trip because of the little time spent in the cities. However, I was attracted to this trip (European Holiday Markets) because you get two fabulous stops in Germany (Nuremberg and Regensburg), and the Wachau Valley, Krems, and Vienna in Austria. On this trip, I imagine you could pre or post-cruise in Munich and Budapest as well. We also don't mind spending more time on board reading, journaling, catching up on movies, etc. I often find that we are always rushing and never seem to have enough time to just relax or go to all the lectures and demonstrations or to get a massage, etc. Thank you to everyone for all the feedback and advice!

Caviargirl, I read with interest your comment about the Nurnberg to Vienna being your least favorite trip because of the little time spent in the cities. However, I was attracted to this trip (European Holiday Markets) because you get two fabulous stops in Germany (Nuremberg and Regensburg), and the Wachau Valley, Krems, and Vienna in Austria. On this trip, I imagine you could pre or post-cruise in Munich and Budapest as well. We also don't mind spending more time on board reading, journaling, catching up on movies, etc. I often find that we are always rushing and never seem to have enough time to just relax or go to all the lectures and demonstrations or to get a massage, etc. Thank you to everyone for all the feedback and advice!

I know many enjoy the time on the boat during the day cruising but when we are in Europe, we want to be out experiencing the area and not seeing it from the water. If you like cruising time then it may be ideal for you.

Vienna and Nuremberg are not my favorites at any time of year and Nuremberg is mobbed at the market season. Regensburg is a favorite.

We did time before in Munich and used it as a base for day trips to the Bavarian Alps, which are stunning at that time of year.

The markets are simply wonderful and we are looking forward to our visit this winter.

Archived