car rentals in Saint John and Portland

jealdaka

We are planning to rent a car in Portland and Saint John and aren't getting real good information. Are there any locations near these ports or do you know if any of the companies have shuttles that will pick us up?

In Saint John, Avis is across the street(water st) from where you dock, and Hertz is in Market Square a short walk up the street from the ship.

be careful if booking Avis in advance both avis in Saint John, NB and St. John's, NL are on Water St

According to a representative at the Portland Convention and Visitors Bureau, the only rental company that will pick you up at the port is Enterprise. The other car rental companies (Avis, Hertz, Budget) are at the jetport, about a 10-15 minute cab ride from the cruise ship terminal.

For Saint John, NB, Hertz said to call as soon as we docked and they would send a car to pick us up. Avis is more easily accessible though - across from the pier, if I've read the boards correctly. Right now, I have two cars reserved for Oct. 10. Can't decide if "everyone" will be renting at Avis, and we'll have long lines. If so, then waiting for Hertz might work out better. Truthfully, it probably won't matter. And, yes, I will cancel one before we leave.

Debbie

• 5 years later...
In Saint John, Avis is across the street(water st) from where you dock, and Hertz is in Market Square a short walk up the street from the ship.

be careful if booking Avis in advance both avis in Saint John, NB and St. John's, NL are on Water St

Why should one be careful if booking AVIS in advance?

Yep, I was hoping this person could give me a heads up on what might have happened.:o

I think the poster was just trying to make sure people are careful when booking since the Avis offices in both cities are on Water St. You would not want to book the wrong port.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived