Carnival spirit Australia cocktails and beer prices?

Hi everyone,

We are going on our first cruise on the 25th August to the pacific islands on board the carnival spirit leaving sydney. I have been reading cruise critic for the last month and can't tell you how much I have learnt about what to bring/what not to bring, day trips, the restaurants this site is amazing!!! I just have a question about cocktail and beer prices near the pool, in the jazz bar and night club. All the posts I have found about this topic are US prices. Can anyone help me? A picture of a menu would be amazing.

I have a scanned copy of the menu but it's too big to attach (3mb) I could email it to you if you give me your email address..

Edited by Gyyp

Yes but they don't have the bar menu... They only have the spa price list

Cocktails vary from around AU $9.00, $10.50 and upwards and beer was $8.00 a pot i think or $8.50 I find that expensive sure curbed our onboard drinks account which was the lowest in our 25+ cruises, bottles of beer varied from $8.50 upwards, Gin or vodka and tonic was $7.50 Softdrink was $2.50 can...... Never saw specials on offer we got off yesterday, some cruiselines here have 2 for 1 specials not on the Spirit though.... Hope this helps a little. cheers Shiona

Edited by badgerbill

Cocktails vary from around AU $9.00, $10.50 and upwards and beer was $8.00 a pot i think or $8.50 I find that expensive sure curbed our onboard drinks account which was the lowest in our 25+ cruises, bottles of beer varied from $8.50 upwards, Gin or vodka and tonic was $7.50 Softdrink was $2.50 can...... Never saw specials on offer we got off yesterday, some cruiselines here have 2 for 1 specials not on the Spirit though.... Hope this helps a little. cheers Shiona[/quote

Once again I find it quite suprising that the price of alcohol on board is such a volatile subject. Now I know that the profit margins are high as the cruise lines do not pay excise on it but 90 % of cruisers avow that it is the best value holiday going.

Whilst I would like it to be cheaper I do not think that paying the same or cheaper prices for a drink than I would at a 4-5 Star land based resort say on the Gold Coast is reason to grumble.

Passengers willingly pay thousands of dollars for there all inclusive great value holiday yet complain about paying what they think are exorbitant prices for alcohol which may amount to $1-$3 more than at a land based resort without the obvious benefits of a cruise ship.

After all it is not compulsory to drink and I for one do not mind paying maybe an extra $15 to $20 dollars a day and totally enjoy my holiday.

If it was TOO cheap they would be accused of promoting alcohol abuse?.

I for one do not mind paying maybe an extra $15 to $20 dollars a day and totally enjoy my holiday.

Good for you, don't get me wrong, ( i am not a heavy or even serious drinker however i do like when cruising to partake perhaps in a beer in the afternoon and a wine or V&T in the evening) I don't mind paying over the odds but.........almost 100% more for TAP beer give me a break......if it were a classier ship perhaps it could be looked at differently but my info is based on a ship which compared to it's opposition IMO is at best a beer budget ship charging champagne prices.

Cruised last month 4* ship obviously different cruise line beer $4.50 a bottle..... !!!!!!!!!

• 1 year later...
Cocktails vary from around AU $9.00, $10.50 and upwards and beer was $8.00 a pot i think or $8.50 I find that expensive sure curbed our onboard drinks account which was the lowest in our 25+ cruises, bottles of beer varied from $8.50 upwards, Gin or vodka and tonic was $7.50 Softdrink was $2.50 can...... Never saw specials on offer we got off yesterday, some cruiselines here have 2 for 1 specials not on the Spirit though.... Hope this helps a little. cheers Shiona[/quote

Once again I find it quite suprising that the price of alcohol on board is such a volatile subject. Now I know that the profit margins are high as the cruise lines do not pay excise on it but 90 % of cruisers avow that it is the best value holiday going.

Whilst I would like it to be cheaper I do not think that paying the same or cheaper prices for a drink than I would at a 4-5 Star land based resort say on the Gold Coast is reason to grumble.

Passengers willingly pay thousands of dollars for there all inclusive great value holiday yet complain about paying what they think are exorbitant prices for alcohol which may amount to $1-$3 more than at a land based resort without the obvious benefits of a cruise ship.

After all it is not compulsory to drink and I for one do not mind paying maybe an extra $15 to $20 dollars a day and totally enjoy my holiday.

If it was TOO cheap they would be accused of promoting alcohol abuse?.

From what I can see of the alcohol drink prices on Carnival ships in Australia, they are ridiculously expensive compared to Royal Caribbean and Celebrity ships.

From what I can see of the alcohol drink prices on Carnival ships in Australia, they are ridiculously expensive compared to Royal Caribbean and Celebrity ships.

Is that an apples-to-apples comparison? I understand the Australian-based ships don't add a service charge on to the bill as it is built into the prices, so I would expect those prices to be higher than those of cruise lines that aren't based in Australia. Are you comparing price to price? Or price to price-plus-service-charge?

:confused:

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Just off spirit this morning. Single shot g and t $9.10. Cheapest bottle of sav blanc $35

Wouldsay that prices are on high side compared to other lines I have cruised with.

We went on 01 Aug and paid $8 for a single shot G&T and $4 for the second shot.

Beer such as Corona, Pure Blonde etc similar to land prices.

Cocktails were cheap compared to land but not convinced shots in cocktails delivered were full shot !

We only ordered direct from the bars after the first few and they were definately stronger and as expected.

The last couple of Royal Caribbean cruises I have been on in Australia the 15% tip was included into the price of the drink. So the customer didn't actually know there was a tip component.

Even with the charge built in, the drinks were still cheaper than what I have seen on the Carnival Australia ships,

We went on 01 Aug and paid $8 for a single shot G&T and $4 for the second shot.

Beer such as Corona, Pure Blonde etc similar to land prices.

Cocktails were cheap compared to land but not convinced shots in cocktails delivered were full shot !

We only ordered direct from the bars after the first few and they were definately stronger and as expected.

The Royal Caribbean ships ive been on the spirits are free poured and very rarely did you get anything less than what we would class in Australia as a double nip in every drink.

The last couple of Royal Caribbean cruises I have been on in Australia the 15% tip was included into the price of the drink. So the customer didn't actually know there was a tip component.

Even with the charge built in, the drinks were still cheaper than what I have seen on the Carnival Australia ships,

Thanks, AussieAdam. The difference in price versus price plus tip can be confusing at times.