Marvyn's Paradise Tours vs. Mark's tours

becksterbeets

We'll be in Ocho Rios for the first time on an upcoming cruise on the Carnival Breeze. Originally I was really looking forward to seeing Dunn's River Falls, but my DH is not interested in such a crowded excursion, especially given the fact that there will be two cruise ships in Ocho Rios that day. So, I was thinking a private tour with either Marvyn or Mark. Any comments on either? Also, we like outdoor adventure, culture and history. Any suggestions on things we should do on a customized tour? Thanks!

We'll be in Ocho Rios for the first time on an upcoming cruise on the Carnival Breeze. Originally I was really looking forward to seeing Dunn's River Falls, but my DH is not interested in such a crowded excursion, especially given the fact that there will be two cruise ships in Ocho Rios that day. So, I was thinking a private tour with either Marvyn or Mark. Any comments on either? Also, we like outdoor adventure, culture and history. Any suggestions on things we should do on a customized tour? Thanks!

My fiancee and I booked a private tour with Mark a few years ago, after reading the positive reviews on this forum and elsewhere. In fact, we'll have a second tour with him next week! :D

Mark helped us tremendously at Dunn's River Falls. He expertly timed our arrival to avoid the crowds on ship excursions. He also protected us from the vendors on the way in, and gave us tips on how to avoid the market on our way out. We heard many horror stories the next day, from passengers who went to the falls without the benefit of a private tour guide.

As for suggestions - we went to Mystic Mountain for zip lines and bobsled. It was a thrilling outdoor adventure! We went river tubing after Dunn's River Falls. It was very peaceful and relaxing, since we were the only ones there. We ate jerk chicken and pork at Scotchies. Last but not least, we took a quick dive at the Blue Hole. That was our favorite stop, and we regret not having more time to spend there. It was absolutely gorgeous, like stepping into a tropical paradise! Search for photos and videos of the Blue Hole (I think it's also known as Secret Falls, Cool Blue Hole and Irie Blue Hole). Anyway, Ocho Rios was our favorite port of call thanks to Mark, and I highly recommend his service!

I don't have experience with either Marvyn or Mark, but we were in Ocho Rios last month and had an excellent tour with Javia Shaw from knowjamaica tours. We wanted to take our 16 year old to Dunns River but besides that, Javia took us on an awesome tour in and around Ocho Rios. Among other stops, he took us to meet Carl the spice man up in Ferngully who spent about an hour with us explaining all about native fruits and plants, their history and uses. It was fascinating.

I know it wasn't the two tours you mentioned, but I figured I would share what we did. I think they are still running a discount on their website if you are interested (knowjamaica.com)...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I have had the pleasure of using Mark Morris for many years. He is the only private tour operator I have ever used in Jamaica. We in fact will be using him in May when we return on Oasis. He is a true gentlemen and his goal is to please you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We booked with Marvyn when we docked in Ocho Rios on the Epic. We had a great experience with his company. He answered e-mails promptly and had us picked up at the port by one of his guides. We had our own private van with a guide that stayed with us throughout the entire day. We visited Dunn's River Falls, went tubing on the river, drove through Fern Gully, and had lunch at Scotchies. Everything was handled in a very professional manner and it helped make our stop at Ocho Rios the best of our cruise. If I am ever back in Ocho Rios again, I will call Marvyn right away to plan another tour with him.