How to get to Monte Carlo?

Hi Everyone

We are on the Dream on the 24th Aug, Mediterranean Medley. We like to do our own trips so how easy and how long does it take to get from Villefranche to Monte Carlo? Also any tips on what to do in or around Rapallo? First time on the Dream, been on the Destiny twice and the Majesty once so looking forward to trying out the Dream. Any tips welcome. Thanks in advance.

Station is close to the tender drop-off. Ask for a map and instructions at the tourist office there. It's only about a 10 minute walk - it's elevated from the promenade level. Trains are quite frequent and cheap - although not as cheap as the bus! I think it took about 20/25 minutes but easy and convenient to get into Monte Carlo form Villefranche.

From Rapallo we did the short boat trip to Portofino which also stops at Santa Marguerita. It sails every half hour from a jetty just a few hundred yards along from where the tender docks. It cost 10 euros return each while the Thomsons trip was £35 each!

From Rapallo we did the short boat trip to Portofino which also stops at Santa Marguerita. It sails every half hour from a jetty just a few hundred yards along from where the tender docks. It cost 10 euros return each while the Thomsons trip was £35 each!

Agree Portofino is a lovely place to visit. I didn't realise you could DiY from near the tender as we went at short notice when the port of call was changed during the cruise so hadn't had time to research Rapallo - so we did the Thomson half day excursion to Portofino. So this is very useful information for future reference - we'd definitely try the Diy approach another time. Thanks for that. :)

If you get off the ship early enough and get the train yo can do Monte Carlo and get the train back and go to Nice for a wander about for a while the walk along the promenade is great. My wife and I are on the same date and have done the train an a few occasions, very cheap on the train but don't forget to validate your train ticket in the yellow boxes. If yo need any info for the other stops let me know as we have done on our own from most of the stops?

Thanks The Cleaner I see you are from Scotland too, we are flying from Aberdeen. We have done some of the other places also, but didn't go to Monte Carlo last time. Looking forward to the Dream we have been on the Destiny and the Majesty so it will be a change for us.

Archived