Need help from you!! Which one is the best or is there something better,

Hello..

So I am on the hunt for a nice compact camera that takes great pictures. Many out there. But I also want to have the display flip up so that I can take self pictures and know what I am taking a picture of. I am not a professional photographer obviously but I love to take pictures. And when my boyfriend and I go out its hard to take pictrues of ourselves if no one is around. So the flip up display would be perfect.

I have researched and I seem to have found that only Samsung makes cameras witht he flip up display where you can take a self picture?

th?id=HN.608001235595888726&pid=1.9&w=300&h=300&p=0

So I bought the MV900F, its is nice, compact takes decent pictures but I am stuck on that it only has a 5x zoom. I paid $200 for a used. It is ok but wish for a better zoom.

http://www.samsung.com/global/mv900f/

I have looked at 2 others that are more pricey and am hoping for some direction.

This camera is around $500+ and it has changeable lenses, standard 9mm and a 9-27 mm zoom. ( I am not sure what this means, as I am not a camera buff :(

http://www.samsung.com/global/nx/nxmini/index.html

The last one is a Samsung NX300M. This one is around $650+. It has interchangeable lenes also.

http://www.samsung.com/global/nx/nx300m/index.html

In the end, one of the biggest things I am looking for is the flip up display. I also want a nice zoom, ability to take a wider angle picture, obviously a really nice picture, and having a compact camera.

Anyone who can advise I would very much appriciate it! I know there are MANY great photographers on Cruise Critic, I have seen your pictures!!! Any input would be wonderful!!!!

Thank you!

Have you considered just getting a second camera with a better zoom for photos without you in them?

Sometimes the best camera for all situations is two (or more) cameras.

There are many excellent high-zoom models available in the $300-$400 range. Sony, Panasonic and Fuji all have models in this range and any of them will do a great job. Go to a shop and see which one feels best to you.

Dave

Hello..

So I am on the hunt for a nice compact camera that takes great pictures. Many out there. But I also want to have the display flip up so that I can take self pictures and know what I am taking a picture of. I am not a professional photographer obviously but I love to take pictures. And when my boyfriend and I go out its hard to take pictrues of ourselves if no one is around. So the flip up display would be perfect.

I have researched and I seem to have found that only Samsung makes cameras witht he flip up display where you can take a self picture?

th?id=HN.608001235595888726&pid=1.9&w=300&h=300&p=0

So I bought the MV900F, its is nice, compact takes decent pictures but I am stuck on that it only has a 5x zoom. I paid $200 for a used. It is ok but wish for a better zoom.

http://www.samsung.com/global/mv900f/

I have looked at 2 others that are more pricey and am hoping for some direction.

This camera is around $500+ and it has changeable lenses, standard 9mm and a 9-27 mm zoom. ( I am not sure what this means, as I am not a camera buff :(

http://www.samsung.com/global/nx/nxmini/index.html

The last one is a Samsung NX300M. This one is around $650+. It has interchangeable lenes also.

http://www.samsung.com/global/nx/nx300m/index.html

In the end, one of the biggest things I am looking for is the flip up display. I also want a nice zoom, ability to take a wider angle picture, obviously a really nice picture, and having a compact camera.

Anyone who can advise I would very much appriciate it! I know there are MANY great photographers on Cruise Critic, I have seen your pictures!!! Any input would be wonderful!!!!

Thank you!

You're looking for many somewhat contradictory things. Kind of like being hungry and being in the mood for something that is fried but also low fat.

A flip up screen is basically a novelty present in a few compact cameras. Some of the more advanced larger cameras have fully articulated screens, but that's not really what you're looking for.

Most cameras with a big zoom don't typically start at a very wide angle. Though there are some that cover fairly wide, to fairly telephoto.

And for the most part, cameras with a large zoom range tend to be lower overall image quality. (It's a trade off). That said, even today's cameras were large zoom can generate acceptable pictures.

The NX Mini should give very very good image quality. It is an interchangeable lens camera --- You can buy additional lenses for other purposes. The kit 9-27 lens is a 3x lens. It is the equivalent of 14mm-42mm. That is very very wide. But with almost no telephoto reach. In perspective, your MV900 has the equivalent of 125mm. So it has only 1/3rd of the reach of your MV900. But your MV900 starts at 25mm... so the NX Mini kit lens is significantly wider.

The NX300 will be just like the NX Mini -- The focal range will depend on the lens you pair it with.

The great thing about interchangeable lens cameras is that you can change lenses, using the right lens for the right job. (Put that 9-27 lens on for selfies and wide shots, switch to a different lens for telephoto images).

Some of the Sony NEX models also have flip screens like the Samsungs.

If you're looking for all-in-one compact, you may like the Nikon P7800. Image quality won't be as good as the Samsung NX or Sony NEX, but it will be better than most compacts. It has a decent zoom range (28-200 equivalent). Not super wide angle, but wide enough for most people. And I believe it has a flip out screen.

Edited by havoc315

I have panny lumix fz200, lcd viewfinder will twist to various positions, has an electronic viewfinder also, 600 mm zoom at f2.8, excellent photo quality. +/- $500 in Canada. Will accept external flash

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

You're looking for many somewhat contradictory things. Kind of like being hungry and being in the mood for something that is fried but also low fat.

A flip up screen is basically a novelty present in a few compact cameras. Some of the more advanced larger cameras have fully articulated screens, but that's not really what you're looking for.

Most cameras with a big zoom don't typically start at a very wide angle. Though there are some that cover fairly wide, to fairly telephoto.

And for the most part, cameras with a large zoom range tend to be lower overall image quality. (It's a trade off). That said, even today's cameras were large zoom can generate acceptable pictures.

The NX Mini should give very very good image quality. It is an interchangeable lens camera --- You can buy additional lenses for other purposes. The kit 9-27 lens is a 3x lens. It is the equivalent of 14mm-42mm. That is very very wide. But with almost no telephoto reach. In perspective, your MV900 has the equivalent of 125mm. So it has only 1/3rd of the reach of your MV900. But your MV900 starts at 25mm... so the NX Mini kit lens is significantly wider.

The NX300 will be just like the NX Mini -- The focal range will depend on the lens you pair it with.

The great thing about interchangeable lens cameras is that you can change lenses, using the right lens for the right job. (Put that 9-27 lens on for selfies and wide shots, switch to a different lens for telephoto images).

I realized I made a mistake on the equivalent range on the NX Mini. It uses a smaller sensor than I thought. (It uses a smaller sensor than the other NX cameras). So the equivalent range is 24-70. A pretty "normal" 3x range. From wide to normal view. But still less telephoto than your current camera that goes to 125.

Ok... so I have decided that I do not think I need to have the camera with the flip up.display. I can use my cell.phone or I can always ask someone to take a picture for me..

With that said... I would like to.find a small compact camera that has a nice zoom... good or wider angle capability and also has great clarity.. and a fairly quick.responce time. I find with my current point and shoot Canon SX130IS is a bit slow. I have missed some good shots with it.. any ideas? I honestly need help!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Ok... so I have decided that I do not think I need to have the camera with the flip up.display. I can use my cell.phone or I can always ask someone to take a picture for me..

With that said... I would like to.find a small compact camera that has a nice zoom... good or wider angle capability and also has great clarity.. and a fairly quick.responce time. I find with my current point and shoot Canon SX130IS is a bit slow. I have missed some good shots with it.. any ideas? I honestly need help!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

What do you mean by "clarity?"

How wide do you want to go?

How much telephoto? (Remembering that cameras with longer telephoto ranges tend to be lower image quality and slower).

The Canon SX series, now up to the SX280, is a decent reliable compact super zoom. Big zoom range, so-so image quality. So-so responsiveness. (About 1/2 second of shutter lag, 2 seconds between shots-- a decent dSLR is about three to four times faster). Very affordable.

To photographers who aren't super discriminating, the shots might look sharp enough. (If only viewing on Facebook, and 4X6s, etc, the images will indeed look sharp.. but you aren't going to print many 11X14s and bigger).

The top tier in "compacts" is the Sony RX10. Much more expensive. Not super small. Less telephoto zoom range. But MUCH higher image quality, much sharper images, and much more responsive.

Still like my Lumix FZ200. check at dpreview reviews

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

The FZ200 is indeed another example of a camera with a large zoom range, and slightly better image quality. (Though not as good as a dSLR or the RX10). It's fairly responsive, at about 1 second cycle between shots, and shutter lag around 1/4th of a second.

In terms of image quality, here is a test shot in perfect lighting (outdoors on a sunny day) (ISO 100):

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-fz200/FULLRES/FZ200hSLI0100NR3D.HTM

Here is the same shot in mediocre lighting-- (Indoors with good artificial lighting, ISO 1600):

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-fz200/FULLRES/FZ200hSLI1600NR3D.HTM

And finally, same studio shot in poor lighting (Night time, or indoors with mediocre lighting, ISO 6400).

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-fz200/FULLRES/FZ200hSLI6400NR3D.HTM

Edited by havoc315

We've walked this ground a lot in recent weeks.

Check out these recent discussions:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2005541

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1994012

The time honored way of getting a selfie is nestling the camera on some rock or post, framing up one person and then using the shutter delay timer to give you time to get into the frame yourself. Every new camera has the delay function and many now have face recognition to keep focus sharp. But, as you say, the cellphone is pretty good at this kind of shot, too.

I am really happy with the recently discontinued Olympus TG-830 but it's replacement the TG-3 is similar and available for around $350. TG-3 Tough Waterproof Digital Camera | Olympus http://ow.ly/w40qY

It's difficult to go wrong with a new camera nowadays, regardless of brand.