Seabourn Antarctica Cruise Appropriate for a Person Age 72+?

zzzz8

Just wanted to get the thoughts of those who have cruised on Seabourn in Antarctica. Do people who are 72+ fare well during the cruise? I'm thinking of going with someone who is slightly over the age of 72, has a slight heart valve issue, is slightly risk averse, but is in otherwise good shape. Would you recommend the Antarctica cruise?

I understand the Drake Passage is rough... I'm guessing seasickness patches, medicine, herbal remedies will help? Or was the journey through Drake Passage unbearable? What about the zodiac landings? Is it easy to get on and off zodiacs? Also, is it difficult to get around once you land? I assume it's only one or two hours ashore, so that doesn't seem to be too bad.

Thanks in advance for the answers!

We were on the Jan 4th sailing to Antarctica

I am 67 and I am certain there were lots of other passengers a lot older than me who didn't seem to have any trouble with the zodiacs and landings. There is always plenty of staff to help stepping onto the sides of the zodiacs To get off one just sits on the sides of the zodiacs and lifts ones legs over the side into the water. Once again plenty of staff to offer help if one was to need it. On the shore one is walking over rocks and snow but it was easy walking. Some had poles but we didn't worry

On the medical side I think I would like to check with my doctor to get an okay. There would be a lot of grumpy people if the cruise was cut short due to having to back track so a sick passenger can get into a helicopter range to be picked up

We found the Drake going down to be flat with a slight swell but coming back it was a bit rougher but I didn't hear of anybody being sick. It was really a non event

Have a look at this, 3 pages, as Roxburgh explains everything and you can see from the photos of the landings where you would be walking. Notice how calm the water was with the iceberg

http://forums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1966337

Have a great trip