Macua Tours - has anyone been?

vancouvergirl2010

I keep hoping you wil get an answer to this. We are doing the Panama Canal in September/October and are considering using them. So am hoping someone who has experienced their tours will answer you. I do have a question for you. Did you have to pay anything up front? I prefer not to do this as I have never had to do it in the past.

Have you heard any reviews of Macau tours? If so where?

Thanks. Barbara

Thank you so much for the trip adviser site. Great reviews. We really want to do this tour.

Now I have another problem. I was trying to get the price of the tours in Nicaragua that are similar to what we will see with Macau tours and non the the Princess sites show costs. Our cruise is too far way for them to print price and yours is too soon for those who are not booked. Can you let me know what some of the prices are for similar tours with Princess. I know that most of the tours do not include as much as Macau tours, but at least they are a comparison. If you could site one or two of the Princess options it would really help me.

I hope that at least our chatting will keep this board alive and maybe someone will answer your original request.

Also, it would be great if you did a review or somehow let me know how your tour went.

Feel like I am intruding on your thread. I really appreciate the information you have given me.

Barbara

No intrusion at all! I was feeling alone here! lol

This is from the Princess website.

Granada, Parque Central & Shopping

SJ1-100| San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua

hours

from $65.00

Experience the beauty of Nicaragua on this a lovely half-day adventure to the picturesque city of Granada, located on the shore of Lake Nicaragua. Enjoy a guided tour of the local convent, marvel at pre-Columbian statues, explore colorful colonial architecture and take in the stunning view of majestic twin volcanoes.

Granada, Tobacco Plantation & Parque Central

SJ1-105| San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua

hours

from $65.00

Discover Nicaragua on this amazing guided tour that takes you along lush jungle landscapes to a working tobacco plantation. Visit a centuries-old fortress and explore the picturesque colonial city of Granada where you will observe master cigar makers at work before relaxing and enjoying complimentary coffee and pastries.

Granada, Lake Nicaragua, Las Isletas Cruise & Lunch

SJ1-600| San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua

hours

from $119.00

Step back in time on this active, full-day, guided excursion via air-conditioned motorcoach to the colonial city of Granada. Visit an ornate cathedral and a convent featuring pre-Columbian statuary. Take a cruise on Lake Nicaragua through an archipelago of hundreds of islets. Enjoy a complimentary lunch at a Granada restaurant.

and more

Rivas, Lake Nicaragua & Scenic Nature Drive

SJ1-110| San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua

hours

from $59.00

Discover Nicaragua on this half-day guided excursion to the colonial town of Rivas. Visit the Catholic church, learn the city's history and enjoy a complimentary beverage and snack as you take in the beauty of the twin volcanoes, Maderas and Concepcion, which rise majestically out of nearby Lake Nicaragua.

Amayo Hacienda Experience, Lake Nicaragua & Lunch

SJ1-210| San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua

5 hours from $79.00

For a taste of authentic Nicaragua, take a half-day guided tour to a family-owned estate on the shores of Lake Nicaragua. Swim, explore, listen to live music and even join a milking contest! Enjoy a traditional lunch and take in the view of majestic twin volcanoes rising from the lake.

Masaya Market Arts & Crafts, Vistas & Shopping

SJ1-260| San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua

5.75 hours from $49.00

Shop and sightsee on this guided excursion to the vibrant Masaya Market, featuring the highest quality crafts, art and souvenirs in the country. En route, enjoy a stop at an overlook offering breathtaking vistas of the massive Lake Nicaragua, the Apoyo Lagoon and the colonial city of Granada.

Masaya and Mombacho Volcanoes, Vistas & Lunch

SJ1-335| San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua

hours

from $99.00

Enjoy a rigorous full-day guided photo experience to a nature reserve and a national park featuring active volcanoes. Enjoy a lunch, visit a crater lagoon and marvel at stunning vistas of a picturesque colonial city, a massive freshwater lake and majestic twin volcanoes that form an island.

Granada, Masaya Market & Volcano, Lunch & Shopping

SJ1-330| San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua

8.25 hours from $99.00

Indulge in a full-day, moderately active, guided excursion via air-conditioned motorcoach to shop the world renowned Masaya Market featuring quality crafts. Visit the active Masaya Volcano for an up-close look at steaming fumaroles. Savor a delicious, complimentary lunch at a local restaurant. Explore the colonial city of Granada.

Thank you -- that really helps me. I have others that are interested in joining us and they, as I, wanted some comparison of what they are getting for their money. It is a great deal to go with Macau as you see so much more and don't have to deal with a bus load of people.

You must be getting ready to go. It is not long until you sail. Be sure to let me know how the tour went. You can either get to me on this thread or e mail me at sims133 at aol dotcom.

Thanks again for all the good information. Barbara

• 2 weeks later...

We just toured with them and had a terrific day. Our guide was David who spoke perfect English and was very informative. We visited four towns, two volcanoes and did the lake boat ride trip. We saw so much more than any ship tour offered. They are trying to get their cruise business going and did everything to please us.

Sammiedawg, were you on a Princess Ship? I was wondering whether you were actually docked or had to tender into port? Did you do the tour that included going to Rivas, Granada, Masaya for the volcano and for the shopping? What time did your tour start and return to the ship?

Did you pay in advance or when you got there? So glad you had a great time with them. We have booked them and are getting a group together as we speak. How many with your group? Was that a good number of people?

Any more information you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Barbara

Another question I forgot. Did you take a private tour in Costa Rica? If so, who did you go with and how was that tour? Where did yo got, etc.

Thanks, it is so hard to get any information on this part of the world versus our experiences in Europe.

We were on island princess, all ships must tender. We had a long port time. It took a while to get ashore. We met them about eight thirty and returned by four thirty. We still had an hour prior to final tender time. We were in line to get the first tender for independents but people pushed in front of us and we were on the second tender shortly afterwards. Try to get the first tender.

We prepaid one half via PayPal, the remainder on the day of the tour. Just the two of us, our roll call was quiet and people were concerned about tendering. We went to Rivas Granada Masaya and Catarina. We skipped the shopping market in Masaya, our choice to save time. We saw the Santiago fire volcano and the water volcano.

People who took the ship tours complained about how little they saw. We try to avoid ship tours.

Costa Rica we joined another cc tour with odyssey tours. As it turned out zip lining took two and a half hours with sightseeing to and from.. Nice minibus and guide. Nice lunch in Jaco where locals eat.

Thanks for the input. I was wondering what time we should suggest starting our tour and from what you have said it looks like the earliest would be between 8-8:30am. We are planning on Rivas, Granada, Lake Nicaragua island boat ride, Masaya Volcano and Market and one volcano on the way back for pictures only. Were both volcanoes worth it? I understand the second one has a lake in it and the first one is still active. Did you take the Lake boat ride? I am also considering Odyssey tours in Costa Rica, but not the same tour as you are planning. Did you like them as well?

Thanks so much for your input. Barbara

I do not know your port times but try to get off on the first tender. Princess sends its own tour groups out first, within thirty minutes or so the first independent transfer was called. The car was waiting for us, they knew the tender situation is unpredictable.

We saw both volcanoes which were a highlight as well as the lake cruise. There is a lot of driving involved going from place to place but it was interesting to see how the people live, they are very poor. We skipped the Masaya shopping, just drove though the town on the way to the volcanoes. We made a quick stop in Rivas at the church then onto Granada where we had forty minutes or so. This tour will give you quick looks at two volcanoes and four towns plus the lake boat ride. Much more than any ship tour can do.

Odyssey tours was fine but the zip lining was not for me. I do not think there are a lot of tour companies to choose from.

Your input has been extremely helpful. I have two more quick questions:

How many hours were you on your tour?

How were the roads? We have two people in our group who have a fear of heights are there any roads where this would be a problem?

Again, thanks.

We were out eight hours, our choice to be back to the tender port a little early. All roads were fine but the road up to the Santiago volcano goes up a hill. I guess your friend could wait at the visitor center in lieu of driving up the hill or not get out of the car at the overlook.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Barbie075,

We weren't able to set anchor in Nicaragua due to winds. You may want to consider this when you decide to leave a deposit or not. We had planned to meet them at 8am, with no breakfast included, to allow for the Princess Tours to get off ship first. Planned to eat breakfast in board to have more time to tour.

The cruise was super! But 10 sea days was a bit much :eek:

Jennifer

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I am looking at this tour in September, we stop in for the day at San Juan on Coral Princess.

I have filled in the booking details on their site but have not heard back after 4 days so just sent an email but not sure if it will be received as someone suggested emailing Edwin Ruiz direct @ Macua Tours. has anyone else had a problem with them getting back to you? I know September is a while off yet but I want it all booked and locked in.

Looking at the full 8-9 hour tour with Rivas,Volcano etc

We have taken a tour here before with this company and had no complaints at all. It was a full on day but worth it as we did get to see a lot of the country side including Granada. We also took a private tour in Costa Rica and that was fabulous. Once again a full day but we saw and did so much. We will be doing the same sort of thing again this year on Coral Princess.

Hi we are a group of four from New Zealand on the coral princess departing Alaska for Vancouver down to Central America in September. Is anyone organising a tour of the volcanoes and lake in Nicaragua as we would be interested In joining a private tour and you need to make up the numbers. I am happy for someone to email me as well wendy.derek@paradise.net.nz. As I am not always on cruise critic but can pick up emails daily.