Grill Restaurants Capitan’s Party

Cunard Cruiser

We were on two crossings in August and a cruise this past December. From what I remember there was no Daily Program announcement of a Grill Restaurants Capitan’s Party. I assume invitations were sent on an individual basis. I know the QE2 routine of announcing Grill Class Captain’s Party is via the Daily Program. Has the QE2 also changed its invite format?

Has the QE2 also changed its invite format?

Last time we were on there was still the normal statement on the programme of Grills and Caronia one night and then Mauretania the following night. The odd thing was that there was only the one party for both sittings of the Mauretania - it must have been very crowded!

Private invited do go out to the Platinum Members for their "Senior Officers" cocktail party, We got the Senior Engineer but I think there was also a Captain's party that night.

We were on two crossings in August and a cruise this past December. From what I remember there was no Daily Program announcement of a Grill Restaurants Capitan’s Party. I assume invitations were sent on an individual basis. I know the QE2 routine of announcing Grill Class Captain’s Party is via the Daily Program. Has the QE2 also changed its invite format?

On my last Queen Mary 2 cruise the "meet the captain" parties were announced in the program. As Platinum World Club, we were invited to the regular World Club party and also to a small party in the Winter Garden hosted by Captain Paul Wright. QE2 as far as I know is the same, Caronia & Grills one night and Mauretania another night, with special invites to parties hosted by senior officers. On my last QE2 crossing, I went to a pre-dinner knock-out party in the Yacht Club hosted by the hotel manager. It was true "good old days" with shrimp, caviar, champage,etc. I also went to a senior officers' party in the Ward Room.

It was true "good old days" with shrimp, caviar, champage,etc.

The Chief engineer's was at the funnel bar - it was cold and windy, the canapés were below the normal Cunard standard and the fizz definitely wasn't champagne!

I also went to a senior officers' party in the Ward Room.

The Ward Room's nothing like it used to be either.

The Chief engineer's was at the funnel bar - it was cold and windy, the canapés were below the normal Cunard standard and the fizz definitely wasn't champagne!

The Ward Room's nothing like it used to be either.

Sometimes after reading some of the posts I almost feel I should cancel the world cruise.... I saw the ship Tuesday in NY... very shabby... it made me sad...

Sometimes after reading some of the posts I almost feel I should cancel the world cruise.... I saw the ship Tuesday in NY... very shabby... it made me sad...

I wouldn't cancel. She is a bit shabby, If I dwelt too long on it I'd be in tears:(. Her entire product isn't what it was 20 years ago, But she is still the QE2. She is still the most famous ship afloat. She won't be here much longer so I'd jump at the opportunity to do an entire WC before she's gone. Go and enjoy it; I bet you'll have a fantastic time (and I hope you get the blog sorted out - I'm looking forward to reading it).

Bobbby,

Are you saying this just from the outside? Were you able to go aboard and see the interior? Weather and the beating sun, and salt water take a rough toll on a paint job and teak decks. They require lot of maintenance and upkeep. Perhaps Cunard has felt its money is better spent on safety and passenger comfort items. At the speeds she can make salt water, combined with the bleaching efffects of the sun is probably like sandblasting.

I would not be concerned. Many folks on these boards have sailed recently and been delighted. You know what they say, never judge a book by its cover! Go, have a marvelous time, and give us a full report!

Karie,

who would gladly take your place- shabby or no! Sometimes shabby can hold delightful secrets and marvelous personality! Would you reject an older person who was a bit...shopworn? A well-loved and read book which was a bit dirty and dog-eared? A favorite old sweater that has pilled and worn? Of course not. Think of her as "well-loved" No well-loved thing looks like new! :)

cunard will do some sprucing up b-4 the world cruise!! fresh paint and some cosmetics at the very least!! Go enjoy!! its the end of an era!!! bonvoyage!!

Archived