Bus transportation to Menenhal Glacier

Ballard67

So we just reserved, through Juno tours a bus only transportation(Bus) to and back to Mendenhal glacier. So we will be on the Solstice and porting at about 1:30pm. We reserved a 2:30 spot, giving us time to get to the Bus. So a couple quick questions for you veterans of cruises.

*After docking about how long does it take to get from the on board the boat to the the pick up area for the buses, usually.

Along with that question, when Celebrity says a 1:30, is that pretty right on or is that just avg time?.

* How far is It from the port/off the Boat to the Bus area?, i might be in a wheel chair, at the very least it will be a long walk, i have read some ports offer shuttles, is this true In Juno?.

* Any help full info to get around Mendenhal Glacier

Will provide you a little. We didn't book one ahead of time but "bought" a pass just as you exit the ship's ramp. Right there was a pull thru spot and quite a variety of tours, buses, shuttles and such were right there. So unless things have changed very close to the ship is the boarding area for tours and such.

At the Glacier....they will pull into an area and let you off. There are sidewalks and ramps for you. There is a great visitor center there. Think even with wheelchair you will be okay. Look around for local birds like eagles and even bears sometimes. They will warn you about the bears. Sometimes they do hang around and of course these are "DO NOT PET THE BEARS!" DO not carry any food with you!!!!

Lou

So we just reserved, through Juno tours a bus only transportation(Bus) to and back to Mendenhal glacier. So we will be on the Solstice and porting at about 1:30pm. We reserved a 2:30 spot, giving us time to get to the Bus. So a couple quick questions for you veterans of cruises.

*After docking about how long does it take to get from the on board the boat to the the pick up area for the buses, usually.

Along with that question, when Celebrity says a 1:30, is that pretty right on or is that just avg time?.

* How far is It from the port/off the Boat to the Bus area?, i might be in a wheel chair, at the very least it will be a long walk, i have read some ports offer shuttles, is this true In Juno?.

* Any help full info to get around Mendenhal Glacier

The worst-case scenario will require you top take the 5 minute shuttle ($3 return) from where you dock to the bus area. It would be a mile if you wanted to walk it but the shuttles are very very frequent. If you are lucky you might dock right there (at the bus area), as the Westerdam did when I was there last month, but either way you will have plenty of time for the 2.30 bus.

As for getting around when you're there, this might help

[YOUTUBE]GOMA2HeTGJw[/YOUTUBE]

It's all very clearly signposted and the trail to the falls is quite wheelchair friendly. It's about a mile to the sandbar at the foot of Nugget Falls. The walk to 'Photo Point' is about 300 yards. The salmon creek is worth a look too. All the best, Tony

There is little reason to purchase this transportation in advance. It is available walk up, which is superior for just getting on the next available bus. Basically, cruise ships dock and clear on time. If you were to get off the ship at 1:30p you could be on a bus 15 minutes later. I am assuming you don't need a wheelchair lift? Able to get on the bus, with w/c storage?

Or is this company the vendor, and they have lift transport? I also need to know- where they are picking you up? IF you have just used this company as a booking agent and they are putting you on the regular shuttle buses, those load at the Tram parking lot.

Take a look at the Mendenhall Glacier web site. http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=stelprdb5400800

You need to know where you are docking, before anyone can tell you how far. If you can, find out where.

Edited by Budget Queen