Starboard or Port for Eastbound Canal Passage

miketheExbaker

While I think there are a few extra visual nuggets on the starboard side in the direction you are traveling, you will do yourself a huge disservice by picking a side for the transit. My favorite side is topside or at least outside:)! Of course there can be some pros and cons as to which side your cabin is located in regard to sun orientation during your cruise, however on transit day the smallest most inside cabin is just as good as the owner's suite!!

Edited by BillB48

I agree with the others to move around the ship. Last year, My balcony was on port side on deck 4 of the Queen Victoria. This was great as I was almost eye level as we went through the locks. You won't know ahead of time if your port or starboard side is tied up for each lock.

Have a great trip.

Don

I found starboard better viewing when going in the direction I presume you mean (from Pacific to Caribbean, which is actually nw and north). Including Panama City, Noriega's new mansion that he shares with several hundred of his new friends, the new Caribbean side locks, the rail line and up the river. Port is better for the new Pacific locks and the dam at the Caribbean end. The big crane was on the starboard side when we went but might move around. But if you have the tv on, the guide will mention things that you can go onto the deck to see. Being on the balcony when there is something you're interested in and going into the cabin to escape the heat is a frequent choice. Going to a lower deck when in one of the locks is a good view as well. The shade would be better in the morning on the port side.

Edited by Ryancoke