Greenwich Port and day trip information

We are sailing on the Viking Star this May. Over the past couple months we are learning of unannounced to us paid passengers itinerary and port changes. Lots of us would cancel with them is we could but can't.

That said, I am now working on gathering information for the third reported port that they are using for what was to be two days in London and is now a midnight sailing on the first day.

My questions are:

Does it make sense that a 930 passenger ship will dock in Greenwich?

We want to make the most out of this day - my first time in England where my ancestors hail from! What would be the most efficient way to get into London and back? During the evening, is there much to do in Greenwich?

Any suggestions or ideas I would appreciate! Thank you

Does it make sense that a 930 passenger ship will dock in Greenwich?
Yes, but the ship will probably be moored to a floating terminal from which you will be tendered ashore.
What would be the most efficient way to get into London and back? During the evening, is there much to do in Greenwich?
It depends in part on where in London you want to go. Even central London is a big place. The obvious natural options are:-
  • Take the Docklands Light Railway from Cutty Sark to Bank, and then either walk to anything nearby or use the Tube network from there.
  • Take the DLR to Heron Quays and change to the Jubilee Line (at Canary Wharf station), from where you can then also connect to anywhere on the Tube network.
  • Take the mainline train from Greenwich station to London Bridge, Cannon Street, Waterloo East or Charing Cross stations.
  • Take the Thames Clippers fast ferry into town.
  • Take a slow tourist sightseeing boat with cheesy commentary into town.

If the choice is between spending the evening in Greenwich and spending the evening in town before returning the Greenwich, I would do the latter. There are plenty of places to eat and drink in Greenwich, but your time would probably be better spent in town.

Thank you! If I am reading this correctly, the mainline train or the Clipper would be most direct and efficient? Approx how much time will it take for these options, and should we purchase tickets in advance?

Once in town, should we take a cheesy hop on hop off bus to get around? Are there tickets to main sites that we should purchase in advance?

Thanks a lot. Really appreciate this!

If I am reading this correctly, the mainline train or the Clipper would be most direct and efficient? Approx how much time will it take for these options, and should we purchase tickets in advance?
What is most direct and efficient really depends on where you're intending to go.

The mainline train is not actually as convenient as it sounds, partly because of the walk to Greenwich station (you'll have to look at a map to see why it's less convenient than Cutty Sark DLR), and partly because of the lower frequency of trains. But if you're going somewhere right next to one of the mainline terminals, then it could be convenient.

The Thames Clipper has a similar frequency problem (only once every 20 minutes, most of the day), and it is relatively expensive compared to the other options. But it has the advantage of being quite scenic.

There's no need to buy tickets in advance for any of these. Other than the cheesy tourist boat (for which you can also just turn up and pay), they're all standard public transport options, the sort of trips that Londoners do day in day out without even thinking much about it.

Once in town, should we take a cheesy hop on hop off bus to get around?
No, absolutely not.

But I always say that.

I think you should decide exactly what you want to see during your time in London. Then you can decide the best way to get there. I would do the Thames Clipper service at least once. I enjoy the trip along the river and you can see a lot.

In Greenwich itself there is quite a lot to see and there is also a craft market. You could also read the London Forum on Tripadvisor where you will find lots of information.

Love the picture!

I think that the clipper sounds like the way to go! I will google it and see what times are on the schedule and will be happy to use it round trip if it works out and makes the most sense.

I guess I want to see as much as I can - is the short answer. Probably all the likely subjects that your beautiful city has to offer. I need to figure out logistics, and am just getting a list of excursion options from the ship (no, I am not taking one) for an idea on itinerary......but any suggestions from the experts is appreciated. We will have the full day plus into the night....until we can't anymore. :-))

I actually loved the picture! I am looking at the Clipper online and it appears that the 'Roamer' ticket is the way to go. Hop on anytime after 0900. I think that includes return as well in the pricing.... But the clipper gets my vote.

Now I need to determine furthest stop up river and work back to see what we decide to see.

Thank you for your help and advice!!

TBH, anything past the London Eye and the Houses of Parliament is probably not worth the time.

If you get off at The London Eye, you can walk over Westminster Bridge to have a closer look at the Palace of Westminster, The Elizabeth Tower (aka Big Ben) and Westminster Abbey.