"budget" waterproof camera

pristinehart

Hi guys. I've been researching the web for a decent "budget" ($150 or less) waterproof camera. All this techy stuff just gives me a headache so I thought I'll ask the friendly people at CC. :)

Anyways, I don't plan on going deep sea diving or anything extreme. We have some river tubing and snorkeling excursions plan. So I just want a camera that will allow me to get it wet and take decent pictures and videos. Oh and also a decent battery life. :D

I'll be going on a 6 day cruise. How many memory cards would you guys recommend? I'm not bringing a laptop so there's no way to transfer pictures if it get full. Also does the different kind of brands matter? What should I look for when I do buy these memory cards?

Any recommendations or advice will GREATLY be appreciated! :) :)

There is really only one "budget" waterproof camera - Fuji XP70. It is usually available at Costco for somewhere around 150 to 200 bucks. The others are 300 to 400 bucks. It is not as good, but it is more "you get what you pay for".

If you don't plan to use it too much or your standards of picture taking is slightly lower, you may be happy with it. Check the reviews on Amazon and Costco to read of other people's experiences.

I just got the Panasonic DMC TS-25 for our upcoming cruise in October. In playing around with at the house it is ok. It is a point and shoot, easy to use, small, less $150 and waterproof.

I will let you know on October 18th on how it worked in the warm Caribbean waters.

:)

Edited by Marknga

• 4 weeks later...

I started looking for one last week. Found the fugifilm XP-70 for $161 and bought it yesterday online. Write ups were pretty good and around the $150-$200 range I was willing to pay.

Edited by FireEater

I, too, was looking for inexpensive underwater camera. I found a "used" canon d10 on ebay for a little over $100! This is a $500 camera! I just got it on Thursday--everything was in perfect condition. Everything was in original box. I tried it out in a sink full of water to make sure it was water-tight. Everything remained dry & the pics were ok (not much to look at in silver sink). I really feel I got a bargain & can't wait to use it snorkeling in Roatan & Grand Cayman!!!!

• 1 year later...
Just ok? I'm thinking I'll just get a LifeProof case for my iphone and just use that. :) But please post your pics! Did you manage to take videos? How did that go?

I have read a lot here and elsewhere of Lifeproof failures. Mine broke the nbottom door thankfully on dry land. Unless you have a warranty that will cover water damage the loss of an iphone can be a pain.

I saw cheapo Cannon D10's on ebay. I prefer my Nikon AW130 for versitslity. It is about $270 with older versions AW120 ie selling for less on Amazon and ebay

Bit of a thread resurrection there...

Since the thread is back at the surface anyway, I recommend the Olympus Tough TG-4. Good camera, waterproof and ruggedized, plus it supports RAW format (very useful to allow adjusting white balance after the fact).

Olympus currently has 20% off refurbs for President's Day holiday through tomorrow, bringing the price of the TG-4 to $224. It's currently in stock in Red, and there's a Black version that's OOS but keep checking.

Link: http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/outlet/reconditioned-cameras/tg-4-red-reconditioned.html

20% off sale ends Tuesday I believe.

I have no connection other than as a pleased TG4 owner.

Edited by gpb11
typo

• 4 months later...

I just bought the Fuji X90 I believe it's called. Costco has them on sale for $150 and inc battery, both straps and cable and a memory card (16G as I recall). So far I've plowed thru part of the set up instructions. I had to do a YouTube search for how to attach the basic strap since the picture in the book didn't match the camera geography. If the rest of it goes no better, it'll get returned to costco. They currently have the Oly TG-4 on sale for about $270 or so but didn't really want to spend that much on something to mainly use UW snorkeling and beach etc. I have a decent Panasonic PS I'm happy with plus a Nikon bridge camera.

Anyone have this Fuji or any of its cousins?

I have an Olympus TG-3. The newer version is probably better, but the TG-3 is what was available at the time of purchase.

This camera took pretty good underwater photos, and works well as a regular point and shoot camera as well. Friends and family have purchased this camera after seeing our results with it and they are just as satisfied as we are.

I have an Olympus TG-3. The newer version is probably better, but the TG-3 is what was available at the time of purchase.

This camera took pretty good underwater photos, and works well as a regular point and shoot camera as well. Friends and family have purchased this camera after seeing our results with it and they are just as satisfied as we are.

+1. I have the TG4 and find it excellent, not only for underwater but also to use when I simply don't want to lug around the dslr. I used to use the GoPro but bought the TG4, it's much better. The GoPro has been relegated to mountain bike.

That can certainly be an option in the instances where it makes sense.

In my case, the official waterproof case for my Olympus E-M5 mark II was about $900, so the TG4 was a much less expensive alternative.