Do we need water shoes for St. Thomas and St. Martin?

When we were in ST Thomas, I saw several black urchins....I brought water shoes b/c stepping on one of those things could ruin your day real quick:eek:

As for St. Maarten..headed there in October for the first time, but I'm bringing them....I would bring them just b/c you never know what you'll step on...sharp shells seem to be attracted to my toes....:o

Wore a pair for one day at St. Martin - threw them away and have not worn any since - on our annual land vacations there. We wear a pair of slip on thong type footwear until we hit the sand, then bare feet for the rest of the day.

I've been to STT and St. Maarten many times, and never even thought about bringing water shoes/aqua socks! Of course, I usually go to Magen's Bay or Orient Beach...wonderful sandy bottoms! $1.00 rubber flip-flops work just fine for me!

Picked up water shoes two weeks ago at Dick's Sports for $6.00 a pair - perfect fit and can't wait to use them.
Be very careful of develping blisters - happens quickly if your feet slide around at all in them.

Just returned yesterday from the eastern Caribbean. Went snorkeling in St. Maarten, St. Thomas and Nassau. We brought those heavy Teva-type sandals. Wore them only a short while while snorkelng. I feel they weren't necessary. My feet were up off the bottom while snorkeling, even in areas where there were MANY sea urchins. Water shoes/sandals do not protect you from sea urchins anyway. My sister stepped on one in Fiji Isalands and it went right through. She ran a high fever when they got home, went to the ER and found 1 1/2 inches of the sea urchin needle still in her foot!

I just feel they were extra shoes that we packed which really weren't necessary because the beaches are such smooth sand. The water is so clear that you can see if you're in an area where there is anything down there, or you're floating with your feet up while snorkeling. Now the sunburn on my back from snorkeling is another story........DON'T FORGET THE SUNSCREEN!

I always wear water shoes, even if I don't go to the beach. Our first cruise, I bought an incredibly expensive pair of sneakers to bring along because we were going to be doing a lot of walking. Well, one of those downpours hit while we were out and about and it rained for 2hours straight. You had to see me that night sticking the blow dryer (with that great 12 inch cord !) in my sneakers trying to dry them out. I must have been in that bathroom for an hour trying to salvage them. I will NEVER make that mistake again.:D

I just bought some water shoes for my upcoming cruise. They are not like the typical water shoes with thin rubber soles and a neoprene sock, more like a "water sneaker". They're made by Body Glove, have a thinck rubber sole that comes up over the toe and heel, have bungee cord-like laces and synthetic leather and neoprene uppers. They were pretty cheap at DSW. Definitely more protection against sharp coral or urchins than typical "aqua sock"-style shoes.

Anytime I've snorkelled around coral (because that's where the fish are...and sea urchins), I always wear my fins anyway, so...no need for aqua socks. I still have a pair that's about 12 years old, and the only time I've used them was for walking up to Mad Dog's Bar at the Baths! They get really uncomfortable when sand gets in them, too. Just MO.

Archived