Herculanium ?DIY or tour

Has any one done a tour to Herculaneum only. Did you have sufficient time and information.Undecided whether to do DIY as I have read you can get a shuttle bus just outside the dock gates.

In September we have booked the Thomson day excursion to both Pompeii and Herculaneum from Majesty from Sorrento

I have also done Herculaneum from Naples with Thomson from Spirit and with these type of excursions I would recommend doing it with Thomson

I have also done Pompeii by train from a holiday in Sorrento and with traffic etc it took us longer than expected If you are late back the ship could leave without you but not if you're on one of their excursions. We also nearly missed the ship in Naples after doing Capri on our own when the ferry couldn't get into the port in time as a large cruise ship was leaving and we had to wait We had to get to get a taxi and arrived back to our berth with 5 mins to go before the ship left We would also never do any DIY trips that were a distance away from the port I.e Rome Florence Pisa