Getting nervous

Silvermist

I'm starting to worry about my mobility. I was in an accident 2 years ago and it's been a long road to recovery. My last 2 vacations (Disney World) I needed to borrow a wheelchair from the resort we stayed at because by the 2nd day there was no way I could walk. I can manage day-to-day without assistance under normal circumstances and I've improved a lot in the past 6 months and now am able to grocery shop without it doing me in for the remainder of the day. But I had hoped to be further along in my recovery by now. I still can't walk a mile for exercise (before my accident I was running 5K every second day). If I have to spend the afternoon at the mall (like I did today) I feel that horrible pain returning and need to sit all evening long. Tomorrow morning when I wake up, I will still have pain although if I can stay put all morning I should recover enough by the afternoon to start normal activities again.

Anyway.... I know the cruise ship doesn't have the back-up of being able to rent or borrow a wheelchair like I could on my last couple land vacations. I don't know for certain that I will need a chair but I am starting to get nervous about "what if". My cruise leaves from LA on Nov 20 and arrives in Miami 2 weeks later so I can't just rent something in LA since I won't be able to return it after the cruise is over. Does anybody have a suggestion about how I can deal with this if I find that I am unable to walk? I'm really starting to worry that I won't be able to even walk from one end of the ship to the other after the 2nd or 3rd day.

how about buying a transport chair? I have the Freedom transport chair which only weighs 15#. Bought it from Amazon; there are cheaper but heavier transport chairs on sale occasionally from Walgreens and the like (not sure about in CAD). Might be worth a $150 investment in an "insurance" policy like a transport chair.

Good luck.

The problem with the transport chair is that the rider is effectively a prisoner of their travelling companion. You have (if you are achey) no way to get anywhere by yourself. Plus I got a hernia pushing my DH around in ours before I wised up and rented a power chair for use on the ship. We use the T chair strictly for airports now. We're used carevacations 4 times now and have been very pleased. You receive it on the ship and leave it there at the cruises' conclusion. You may want to check out a scooter or a real wheel chair, too. Best of luck! Have a great cruise!

I'm starting to worry about my mobility. I was in an accident 2 years ago and it's been a long road to recovery. My last 2 vacations (Disney World) I needed to borrow a wheelchair from the resort we stayed at because by the 2nd day there was no way I could walk. I can manage day-to-day without assistance under normal circumstances and I've improved a lot in the past 6 months and now am able to grocery shop without it doing me in for the remainder of the day. But I had hoped to be further along in my recovery by now. I still can't walk a mile for exercise (before my accident I was running 5K every second day). If I have to spend the afternoon at the mall (like I did today) I feel that horrible pain returning and need to sit all evening long. Tomorrow morning when I wake up, I will still have pain although if I can stay put all morning I should recover enough by the afternoon to start normal activities again.

Anyway.... I know the cruise ship doesn't have the back-up of being able to rent or borrow a wheelchair like I could on my last couple land vacations. I don't know for certain that I will need a chair but I am starting to get nervous about "what if". My cruise leaves from LA on Nov 20 and arrives in Miami 2 weeks later so I can't just rent something in LA since I won't be able to return it after the cruise is over. Does anybody have a suggestion about how I can deal with this if I find that I am unable to walk? I'm really starting to worry that I won't be able to even walk from one end of the ship to the other after the 2nd or 3rd day.

Check right now with your cruise line. Call the special needs department and see who they do business with. You can rent a wheelchair that will be in your cabin when you arrive, you leave it there when you leave the ship, and it won't matter that you're leaving from one port and arriving at another. CareVacations is one such company, but you need to do this through the cruise line, as some have particular companies they work with.

This will be a little expensive, but other than buying your own wheelchair (sometimes you can find them in your local paper want-ads for $50-$100), there really isn't another good option.

If you DID buy your own chair, you'd have it for use through the airport (another very long set of walks, sometimes!), can take it on the plane with you for free, and would have it. Then once you're thoroughly healed, you put it back up for sale. But the transport chair someone recommended really isn't a good option. You can't maneuver that yourself, and you'd be stuck unless you had people with you all the time to help you move around.

Thanks for the replies. I just went online and found a used collapsible wheelchair for $150 and the tires look like they're in good shape. That was the big issue with the ones we borrowed previously - tires worn right to the threads. Is there anything else I should be checking for wear and tear before I go ahead and buy it? I'm sure that it's cheaper than any 2 week rental I could get.

And before I go and buy the wheelchair, one more question... would a scooter or a wheelchair be more practical? As I've stated, I do have the ability to walk, it's just for extended times that I start running into problems. I would likely not take a chair/scooter off the ship since we're not planning any strenuous excursions. But I do expect that I will have to spend the day afterwards recouperating. My husband pushed me all over Disneyworld in a wheelchair though and I know that wasn't much of a vacation for him. So is a small scooter such as the Light Weight Scooter small enough to store in our cabin without feeling like we're constantly tripping over it? We do have a balcony cabin that is advertised at 203 sq ft, it has a small sitting area and there are only the 2 of us in the cabin. Will I have trouble maneuvering it throughout the hallways and common areas such as the sun deck or a lounge/show? How about places like restaurants and buffets? Keeping in mind that I've never driven a scooter before and have never seen the inside of a cruise ship. ;)

Oh, one more question -- would the scooter even go through the door of a non-accessible rated stateroom?

Thanks for the replies. I just went online and found a used collapsible wheelchair for $150 and the tires look like they're in good shape. That was the big issue with the ones we borrowed previously - tires worn right to the threads. Is there anything else I should be checking for wear and tear before I go ahead and buy it? I'm sure that it's cheaper than any 2 week rental I could get.

And before I go and buy the wheelchair, one more question... would a scooter or a wheelchair be more practical? As I've stated, I do have the ability to walk, it's just for extended times that I start running into problems. I would likely not take a chair/scooter off the ship since we're not planning any strenuous excursions. But I do expect that I will have to spend the day afterwards recouperating. My husband pushed me all over Disneyworld in a wheelchair though and I know that wasn't much of a vacation for him. So is a small scooter such as the Light Weight Scooter small enough to store in our cabin without feeling like we're constantly tripping over it? We do have a balcony cabin that is advertised at 203 sq ft, it has a small sitting area and there are only the 2 of us in the cabin. Will I have trouble maneuvering it throughout the hallways and common areas such as the sun deck or a lounge/show? How about places like restaurants and buffets? Keeping in mind that I've never driven a scooter before and have never seen the inside of a cruise ship. ;)

Oh, one more question -- would the scooter even go through the door of a non-accessible rated stateroom?

Well, a scooter or power (battery operated) wheelchair would certainly give you more mobility than a manual wheelchair. And the light weight scooter you linked would likely fit through the door of any cabin (they're usually around 21 inches wide) but you might have to remove the arms. And then it would be "parked" there in front of the door, and you'd have to move it to get out of the cabin.

Once you're out the door of the cabin, there would be no problem getting around the ship -- plenty of room everywhere for you to move with the scooter. Probably you'll have a bit of a wait at elevators, as people tend to charge on without giving folks with mobility issues an opportunity to get on..but otherwise you'd be able to get to most public places without any problems.

You might want to call the cruise line and ask if there are any handicap accessible cabins available in your price range. They would cost no more than a "regular" cabin in that same category. If one happens to be available, then you could rent or buy just about anything -- scooter, wheelchair, etc. -- and it would fit without an issue.

Have a great cruise.

I would also check the small front tires and the brakes.

Thanks again for the help!

According to the ship deck plan, my category doesn't seem to have accessible rooms. :( But I just found out there's an aft "penthouse" suit (NCL). Oh how I'm jonesin' for that!!!! ;) Too bad it's twice what we paid for our cabin. :o

According to the ship deck plan, my category doesn't seem to have accessible rooms. :( But I just found out there's an aft "penthouse" suit (NCL). Oh how I'm jonesin' for that!!!! ;) Too bad it's twice what we paid for our cabin. :o

I would give them a call anyway. You got nothing to loose.

The ship deck plans don't always indicate if and whether there are accessible rooms available. Do call, and talk to the special needs department, just to be sure!

Oh my gosh - I've just read some threads regarding accessible rooms. While I really appreciate everybody's encouraging words here and the suggestion to try to change to an accessible room, there's no way I'm going to do that. I had no idea that accessible rooms are SOOOO rare; and I truly won't need all the special accommodations available in the room. I will not take one away (if there is one available) from somebody who would otherwise not be able to cruise just because I might need a little extra space for a scooter that I may or may not rent. I can't believe people willingly do that just so they have a couple extra square feet. :mad: I actually was booked in an accessible room in the Disneyland Hotel for the couple of nights before our cruise leaves LA, and I asked to be changed so somebody who needs the facilities can have them. Whether they book somebody else in it who needs it or not, I don't know but at least my conscience is clear.

I've endured some pretty nasty glares and comments as a result of my disability "inconveniencing" able-bodied people. Like when loading my wheelchair into an accessible bus while other people have to wait until I'm secured in. I've said it before and I'll say it again -- until somebody rolls a mile in my shoes, they just don't get it. :rolleyes: I think every able-bodied person should have to spend a few weeks in a chair and see how glamourous it is to need accessible facilities. I love it when we get to a door that doesn't have a button to open it. I love it when there's no ramp available or when the ramp is way and the hell gone around the back so you feel like the dirty little secret trying to sneak in. I love it when the one large stall in a public bathroom is occupied by somebody who prefers a little more space when they tinkle. No, that's fine I'll just roll past all these empty stalls and wait until you are finished... ::::sigh::::

I've decided to wait until the hubster gets home from his business trip and discuss the chair vs scooter thing with him - it's him who will be pushing me if I get the chair and it's him that will be inconvenienced if we have to trip around the parked scooter. But I will not be asking NCL for a change to an accessible room. Thank you again for the advice re: rentals and what to look for when buying a 2nd hand chair. :)

I completely understand what you are going through! My accident was 15 years ago. 12 surgeries later, I can function normally some days, and other days can't walk 10 feet! I bought a manual wheelchair from a friend after their grandmother died and I use it to get around in the school I teach in. I use a cane most of the time to get around. I've seen people give me dirty looks when I get out of my car in the handicapped space and I'm not using a cane (and they can't see my brace on my leg).

Rent the small scooter, use it if you need it, don't use it if you don't. When you consider how much you pay for a cruise, it is a small price to pay for being able to enjoy your vacation!

I contacted my travel agent who did all the legwork (haha, get it? ;)) for me. She confirmed that there are no accessible rooms available on my cruise - not that I would have agreed to the change now that I know how scarce they are. There will be room by the closet to store the scooter when I'm not using it and there should be 3" clearance to go through my cabin doorway. She also contacted CareVacations and got a very good quote. I don't know if I'm allowed to say what that quote was, but for my 15 day cruise a light-weight or medium-weight scooter works out to less than $20/day. It will be waiting for me in my cabin, and I leave it there when I leave. Hello! I think I'll rent the lightweight one for just in case.

She did say it could be a close squeeze if I have to pass a housekeeping cart or meet an SUV scooter in the hallway. (Has anybody seen this scooter?! The Dream) Does anybody have anything to say about that (not the Dream, but is it difficult to pass a cart?)

I think that for under $20/day I will appreciate having the peace of mind, even if it sits in the cabin for the entire trip. That's what? The cost of two drinks of the day? And I hope like crazy that if you are on my cruise, you will see me dancing up a storm some nights. And then I'll be able to ride the scooter the next day if it was too much for me. I intend to enjoy this cruise to the fullest since it is a once-in-a-lifetime deal. (Not cruising, just the itinerary)

I contacted my travel agent who did all the legwork (haha, get it? ;)) for me. She confirmed that there are no accessible rooms available on my cruise - not that I would have agreed to the change now that I know how scarce they are. There will be room by the closet to store the scooter when I'm not using it and there should be 3" clearance to go through my cabin doorway. She also contacted CareVacations and got a very good quote. I don't know if I'm allowed to say what that quote was, but for my 15 day cruise a light-weight or medium-weight scooter works out to less than $20/day. It will be waiting for me in my cabin, and I leave it there when I leave. Hello! I think I'll rent the lightweight one for just in case.

She did say it could be a close squeeze if I have to pass a housekeeping cart or meet an SUV scooter in the hallway. (Has anybody seen this scooter?! The Dream) Does anybody have anything to say about that (not the Dream, but is it difficult to pass a cart?)

I think that for under $20/day I will appreciate having the peace of mind, even if it sits in the cabin for the entire trip. That's what? The cost of two drinks of the day? And I hope like crazy that if you are on my cruise, you will see me dancing up a storm some nights. And then I'll be able to ride the scooter the next day if it was too much for me. I intend to enjoy this cruise to the fullest since it is a once-in-a-lifetime deal. (Not cruising, just the itinerary)

It sounds like you're all set! Don't worry about passing the cart -- just give a yell (or since you're relatively mobile, step off the cart and signal to the steward) and he'll move it out of your way. I usually head for the nearest doorway to the public areas, whenever possible. You might check the floor plan to see where that is, in relation to the cabin you've booked.

When you leave the public areas and start down the hallway to your cabin, before you actually turn into the hall, look both ways and see if indeed there is someone else there in a scooter or wheelchair already -- then just back out into the larger public area, let them pass, then proceed on your way.

You'll find I suspect that you'll use the scooter a lot -- cruise ships are VERY big, and there can be very long "walks" just from your cabin to the dining areas. You don't want to be stuck in your cabin all day, for sure!

It would be most entertaining to see you ride your scooter up to the dance floor, park it in the corner, and dance up a storm! :D

Have a great cruise!

Silvermist,

I am an amputee on crutches and have been in just the situation you are talking about. I went on a cruise in June 10 on the NCL Pearl. We first started off in a Handicapped Aft Penthouse but then we were changed to 2 front Penthouses 10000 and 10002. As it later turned out they were not handicapped Penthouses. Well we took them anyhow. I did use a scooter. It is a bit of a problem getting thru the door to the cabin. Other than that I did ok. I used my crutches to get into the bathroom and around the room. I hate to say this but if there are a lot of children on the cruise it is sometimes hard to get to everything at the buffet. But everyone was very helpful and especially our room stewart. He got us a door stop to use when taking the scooter thru the door. I had also never used a scooter before and got one from CareVacation and it was great. You can also get wheelchairs from them. I am going again in April 2011 and again not in a handicapped room. We are in a Family Villa and again I am using a scooter. There is no problem getting down the halls. It is very doable and you will love it. Trust me I was really nervous about it and now I wonder what the big deal was. Have a great time.

Rene

Thank you for the reassurances that I shouldn't have any real issues getting down the halls or with having a "regular" cabin instead of accessible.

I already am super impressed with CareVacations. Apparently the quote they gave my TA was incorrect and the actual rental cost is significantly higher at $25/day instead of about $18/day. My TA got them to honour the original quote. Two thumbs up already, CareVacations. I hope that I'm as happy with them after the cruise as I am now.

Thank you for the reassurances that I shouldn't have any real issues getting down the halls or with having a "regular" cabin instead of accessible.

I already am super impressed with CareVacations. Apparently the quote they gave my TA was incorrect and the actual rental cost is significantly higher at $25/day instead of about $18/day. My TA got them to honour the original quote. Two thumbs up already, CareVacations. I hope that I'm as happy with them after the cruise as I am now.

Even at $25 a day, it's a cheap pleasure. You'll be SO much more able to get around and do all you want to do!

We've used CareVacations on a couple of cruises..and it was seamless. We showed up -- the wheelchair was in the cabin, with it's instructions and plug-in (DO keep the battery charged!! overnight should do it!), we left it there, and never heard another thing from them.

Oh --one other thing: When you arrive at the port, ask for "wheelchair assistance". They'll send someone out with a wheelchair, plop you in it, and push you to the front of all the lines and onto the ship! EASY!, fast, and efficient. (And if you have a companion with you, he/she can go, too! :) ) Don't try to stand in line, or move slowly through the lines, or whatever. Take advantage of the curb-to-ship assistance, and start off your cruise on the right foot! :)

The problem with the transport chair is that the rider is effectively a prisoner of their travelling companion. You have (if you are achey) no way to get anywhere by yourself. Plus I got a hernia pushing my DH around in ours before I wised up and rented a power chair for use on the ship. We use the T chair strictly for airports now. We're used carevacations 4 times now and have been very pleased. You receive it on the ship and leave it there at the cruises' conclusion. You may want to check out a scooter or a real wheel chair, too. Best of luck! Have a great cruise!

yes I understand that as I'm sometimes a prisoner... but I meant as a "back-up" in case there was a problem - not as the main transport mode.

Glad to hear you rented a scooter. It will take the burden off your spouse should you need it. And if you don't need it, consider it a well spent insurance policy! BTW, I've been drooling over the "Dream." It costs ~ $1500 on eBay. It's a dream all right!

Bon voyage and enjoy your cruise!

Silvermist,

May I just say thank you about the handicapped accessible cabin post? You truly do understand what we, who cannot use a regular cabin, go through and I commend you for not taking a handicapped room if you really don't need it. You have every right to take an accessible room and I thank you for all the other handicapped people out there who would like to cruise but can't because the rooms are all taken. I hope you have a wonderful cruise and a very speedy recovery. Best wishes.

Barbara

Oh, I would never have thought about wheelchair assistance. I know to ask for it at the airport or to look for one of those crazy golf carts to catch a ride on, but I'd never have thought to ask at the port. Since we're spending a few days at Disneyland before our cruise I am a bit concerned that I might be starting out sore already, although we're going to look into renting a chair when we're there if I do run into troubles. So assistance at the port and not having to stand for a long time will be welcomed and will more than likely be necessary. I really did expect to be 100% by the time our vacation came around because I booked it so far in advance.

Is it something you just ask for? Or do you have to have something from your doctor -- you said that I would basically bypass lines. My disability is invisible unless I'm really tired and then I have a limp but other than the limp and moving extremely slowly (and to be honest anybody could fake that if they thought there's a benefit to them) there would be no way to "show" that I would need assistance. Better pack my armour for the stink eyes I'm sure to get for "cutting line".

And Barbara, yes, unfortunately I totally get it. Since I have no need for the accessible bathroom fixtures, and even at my worst, I can manage 1 step into the bathroom, even if I have to use my arms to help lift my leg up. That's how I get into bed when my injury is flaring up. I would not want to deny somebody who has less mobility than me the enjoyment of a vacation just because I'd like a couple extra feet in my room to store a scooter.

Thank you so much for your well wishes. :)

Silvermist,

You might want to think about renting a scooter at Disneyland so that you don't start your cruise vacation exhausted and sore. We rented one for my husband at Disney World and it really made life easier for both him and me (because I did not have to push a manual wheelchair). We have also used carevacations several times for both an oxygen concentrator and a scooter and have been very pleased.

Have a great cruise!

wheelchair assistance at the port: No, you don't need any proof. Just find (or have your husband find) a crew member for your ship, and request it. You may have to wait awhile..I've had to wait up to 20 minutes..but after that, you'll be "zipped" right along with assistance all the way.

And yes, you'll get "looks". People with disabilities..visible or invisible..get looks. Sometimes I rather get the "look" than be ignored altogether..which happens a lot, too!

And do consider renting a scooter at Disney world. Another place with really long lines and lots and lots of walking!

Oh, I would never have thought about wheelchair assistance. I know to ask for it at the airport or to look for one of those crazy golf carts to catch a ride on, but I'd never have thought to ask at the port. Since we're spending a few days at Disneyland before our cruise I am a bit concerned that I might be starting out sore already, although we're going to look into renting a chair when we're there if I do run into troubles. So assistance at the port and not having to stand for a long time will be welcomed and will more than likely be necessary. I really did expect to be 100% by the time our vacation came around because I booked it so far in advance.

Is it something you just ask for? Or do you have to have something from your doctor -- you said that I would basically bypass lines. My disability is invisible unless I'm really tired and then I have a limp but other than the limp and moving extremely slowly (and to be honest anybody could fake that if they thought there's a benefit to them) there would be no way to "show" that I would need assistance. Better pack my armour for the stink eyes I'm sure to get for "cutting line".

And Barbara, yes, unfortunately I totally get it. Since I have no need for the accessible bathroom fixtures, and even at my worst, I can manage 1 step into the bathroom, even if I have to use my arms to help lift my leg up. That's how I get into bed when my injury is flaring up. I would not want to deny somebody who has less mobility than me the enjoyment of a vacation just because I'd like a couple extra feet in my room to store a scooter.

Thank you so much for your well wishes. :)

You are on vacation!! Rent the scooter for Disneyland. You are on vacation! And when people give you "the look"...smile and wave. :D

Our daughter is in a wheelchair we still get "the look" when we bypass

the lines in Disney World. You are NEVER gonna see those people again.

Archived