Best Flying Fish Sandwich

BornToBeABeachBum

We are interested in trying the flying fish sandwich while visiting Barbados. Where can we find the BEST flying fish? Is it served with a Bajan side dish? What can we expect to pay?

It's difficult not to find a good cutter (FF sandwich) on the island, especially if you've never had one.

We find that the best cutters are to be found in Oistins, on the south coast on Friday night. The fishing boats bring them in (flying fish) and they are cooked on-the-spot with whatever you'd like with them. Couldn't be better, or fresher. About US$3-4. Actually, Friday nights at Oistins (20 minutes from B-town) is really a huge lime (party). Music, drink, good folks and fun under the stars.

Now, if you're not there on a Friday or Saturday night, try The Waterfront Cafe in B-town. They're good there, too.

Actually, some of the best cutters are found at the seediest-looking places. It's the seasoning/breading and the bread that makes them special. Flying fish by itself without any seasoning is like eating catfish. Mild and almost tastless.

It is common folklore on the island that if you eat a flying fish sandwich, you will be compelled to again visit the island.

I guess I ate too many! :) :) :)

For the "best" flying fish sandwiches, known as cutters here, I would recommend any Rum Shop on the island. It also depends on the time of year as the fish is not caught year round. Can't remember when that season is, but should be here soon.

Mr. Barbados is right.. It depends on the breading and other factors, seasonings etc.. some people dredge them in egg and breading.. I personally leave out the egg and only dip my flying fish in bread crumbs that I have seasoned with garlic, salt pepper and other things. Most bajans also use something called Green Seasoning, with is a mixure of tyme, garlic, onion and some other fresh green herbs, chopped up fine with little oil to make it wet and come together. They put this on the fish before the egg and batter and frying.

Anyway. had to add all of that. And I agree as well, that if you have one, you will want another.. they are moreish (if that is a word).

Enjoy.

Here's a topic I can sink my teeth into!

I had good cutters, conveniently enough, at a concession next to the bar at the pier complex. But I had a better one in Bridgetown, maybe Barbados can help me out on this one. I **think** in the vicinity of Swan St / High St and Prince William Henry St, there was a pub in a covered promenade. (I got all turned around in Bridgetown). The cutters came with macaroni and cheese pie, and it rocked my world. The yellow/orange hot sauce is the perfect match. It is HOT (from the scotch bonnet chilis and mustard)

I really wanted local food for lunch. One place we tried was sold out by early afternoon. Another place, where customers ordered at a counter, intimidated me because I simply did not know how to order and I did not want to hold up the works, ha ha. So I wound up at the pub.

My very best souvenir was packets of 3 different brands of bajan seasonings - I'm guessing this would classify as green seasoning. They came from a supermarket in Bridgetown, and sadly, I've used them all up.

• 6 years later...

Bar Kanei at the east end of Rockley sells cutters.

Order it with macaroni pie, Bajan pepper sauce and an ice-cold Banks and you're all set...

Cheers, P:)

P.S. The bar is now called the Side Shore Beach Bar & Bistro.

Edited by aimodels

• 2 months later...

;)

Are flying fish kind of like eating smelt (if you have eaten them)? In other words do they cook them with the bones and innards etc? They are so small.....

They are a mild white fish similar to catfish...the seasoning brings out the taste. They are not fishey at all.

They are small but 2-3 on a plate with cou cou will satisfy you. Promise! :)

flying-fish-meal.jpg

Oh that looks absolutely yummy. They are larger than I thought. I think the reason I think they are so small is we usually see them in the wake on the side of the cruise ship. From where we are they look pretty tiny. lol I missed trying this the last time we where there so I definitely have to try it this time.

Thanks for the photo!!

Great...:rolleyes: Now y'all got me craving one of these now, too...

...and macaroni pie. Even with a decent recipe, ours still doesn't turn out as good as they make it on the island. Must be the fresh ocean air that gives it that "je ne sais quoi"...

P:)

I've just been back in the states for two weeks after spending three months on the island...and this post is making me hungry, too!

After all of these years on the island my wife is getting quite good with these cutters...but I sometimes find an exquisite example---almost perfection---in the rattiest rum shops.

I think it's not so much the fish, but the spices and the bread........

......and maybe a few too many caribe beers that make some taste so special. (Substitute Banks, if you wish.)

Please come and spend a week, or so, and sample what there is to offer.

How can you miss? :):):)

ffcutter.jpg

;)

They are a mild white fish similar to catfish...the seasoning brings out the taste. They are not fishey at all.

Whine ... Whine! I'm a fairly decent cook and am so craving a Flying Fish Sandwich! Do you think I might possibly be able to do this using fresh pond raised catfish? :confused:

Here is a greatly circulated receipe from The Waterfront Cafe in Bridgetown that they gladly give out for the asking.

I believe my wife's is a little different, but similar.

When you're on the island, bring home the spices and you won't have to go to all of the trouble of making them....you'll just have to embellish to you own taste.

Barbados Flying Fish Recipe

(As the recipe mentions, this method can be used with any meaty fish . . . so enjoy!)

This recipe serves 6

4 Large baking potatoes, peeled and sliced into long thin strips

Cold water

12 flying fish, filleted (can substitute cod or any other meaty fish)

Juice of 5 limes

Salted water

Oil for frying

Bajan Fish Seasoning

6 scallions

1 clove garlic

1 teaspoon chopped hot pepper

2 tablespoons chopped celery

1 tablespoon dried marjoram

1/2 tablespoon dried thyme

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

1/2 teaspoon salt

Fish Batter

2 eggs

1 1/4 cups all purpose flour

1 cup milk

1 cup water

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon white pepper

Breadcrumbs Mix

2 cups dry breadcrumbs

2 cups all purpose flour

Pinch (1/16 teaspoon) salt

Set potatoes in a bowl, cover with cold water, and let soak 30 minutes. Drain well and pat dry. Soak fillets in lime juice and salted water for 5 minutes. Rinse fish with fresh water and pat dry.

While the fish is soaking, make Bajan Fish Seasoning: Put all ingredients in a blender or food processor and pulse on and off until finely minced - about 30 to 45 seconds.

Rub an ample amount of seasoning into the fish. Refrigerate any leftover seasoning in an airtight container for up to two weeks.

Stir together ingredients for fish batter in a shallow mixing bowl. Combine ingredients for breadcrumbs mix on a shallow platter. Dip each seasoned fillet into the batter, then cover with the breadcrumbs mix.

Pour oil into a heavy skillet to the depth of 1 inch and heat. Fry fillets about 5 minutes, turning once while cooking, until crispy and golden brown.

In a second heavy skillet, pour oil to the depth of 3 inches and heat. Fry potatoes in 3 to 4 batches, about 2 minutes each, until golden brown. Let drain on paper towels.

Serve fish with chips.

If you try it, let us know how yours came out.

Good Luck! :):):)

Here is a greatly circulated receipe from The Waterfront Cafe in Bridgetown that they gladly give out for the asking.

I believe my wife's is a little different, but similar.

When you're on the island, bring home the spices and you won't have to go to all of the trouble of making them....you'll just have to embellish to you own taste.

Barbados Flying Fish Recipe

(As the recipe mentions, this method can be used with any meaty fish . . . so enjoy!)

This recipe serves 6

4 Large baking potatoes, peeled and sliced into long thin strips

Cold water

12 flying fish, filleted (can substitute cod or any other meaty fish)

Juice of 5 limes

Salted water

Oil for frying

Bajan Fish Seasoning

6 scallions

1 clove garlic

1 teaspoon chopped hot pepper

2 tablespoons chopped celery

1 tablespoon dried marjoram

1/2 tablespoon dried thyme

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

1/2 teaspoon salt

Fish Batter

2 eggs

1 1/4 cups all purpose flour

1 cup milk

1 cup water

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon white pepper

Breadcrumbs Mix

2 cups dry breadcrumbs

2 cups all purpose flour

Pinch (1/16 teaspoon) salt

Set potatoes in a bowl, cover with cold water, and let soak 30 minutes. Drain well and pat dry. Soak fillets in lime juice and salted water for 5 minutes. Rinse fish with fresh water and pat dry.

While the fish is soaking, make Bajan Fish Seasoning: Put all ingredients in a blender or food processor and pulse on and off until finely minced - about 30 to 45 seconds.

Rub an ample amount of seasoning into the fish. Refrigerate any leftover seasoning in an airtight container for up to two weeks.

Stir together ingredients for fish batter in a shallow mixing bowl. Combine ingredients for breadcrumbs mix on a shallow platter. Dip each seasoned fillet into the batter, then cover with the breadcrumbs mix.

Pour oil into a heavy skillet to the depth of 1 inch and heat. Fry fillets about 5 minutes, turning once while cooking, until crispy and golden brown.

In a second heavy skillet, pour oil to the depth of 3 inches and heat. Fry potatoes in 3 to 4 batches, about 2 minutes each, until golden brown. Let drain on paper towels.

Serve fish with chips.

If you try it, let us know how yours came out.

Good Luck! :):):)

WOW! Thank you ever so much! :D

The bread is a different story.....

Difficult stateside...

It's like trying to make San Francisco sour dough in Kansas City. Even with the right mother, it doesn't taste the same.

If you are able to duplicate the bread, God bless you...if not, pick your favorite up at the store.

If we were able to duplicate these cutters 100%, the draw of the island would diminish, yes?

You'll be surprised, however, just how good these taste without FF :)

Enjoy and be good to yourselves. :):):)

Edited by barbados

The bread is a different story.....

Difficult stateside...

It's like trying to make San Francisco sour dough in Kansas City. Even with the right mother, it doesn't taste the same.

If you are able to duplicate the bread, God bless you...if not, pick your favorite up at the store.

Help Again! From what I recall the bread/bun for the Flying Fish Sandwich has no taste which would take away from the flavor of the fish. Thinking of at least using a totally tasteless type of bun. Do you have a better suggestion?

You are exactly correct.

I guess I'm still thinking of the texture, but yes, it needs to be a netural flavour that doesn't sublimate the actual fish taste.

You're on your own with this, my friend...;):)