Diamond Princess Southbound 8/12 Or 8/26/06 - Any Difference?

florida lover

We are going one of these two dates. Can anyone here comment on whether or not it makes any difference?

Some difference in price (26th better) but not enough to bother us.

The only thing I can come up with is that the weather could be worse toward the end of the month?

Thank you.

I'm booked on the Sept. 17, 2006 sailing of the RCI Serenade.... never sailed either RCI or Alaska before.... but I've heard that at the end of the season the ports are "wrapping up" for the winter, and therefore you will encounter great deals in the shops... "clearence" items... also, some excursions won't be running, some due to weather and others due to the date....statistically it is more rainy in September, but as always is Alaska the weather is a total crapshoot any month you go....I've read many threads of wonderful sunny weather in September, so don't worry about it...I think the way we'll handle it is not to book any excursions ahead of time, and decide when we are there.... good luck to you, and have a great time!

Sorry but the above Sept. poster is hopeful. :) End of season is excellent for shopping sales, but the time of the worse potential weather. Temps average 40-55, ave 3 days of rain and dusk by 7pm. Last 2 seasons were exceptional but very atypical and not the norm. But maybe new trends?? Be well prepared if you go on the last sailings, they used to be give away trips and worth the negatives to me, but no longer. Rates are up there now.

As for your August sailings- which way are you sailing?? And are you touring interior Alaska?? If a southbound trip, I would go on the later sailing due to interior temps. Northbound, either trip for the interior.

BQ,

We're going southbound and doing 7 days on land in Alaska before the cruise.

Are you saying we're better off going on the cruise 8/26 rather than 8/12?

Thank you.

Are you on a cruisetour or independent? You can run into hot temps interior Alaska early August. But on your own, not much of an issue. The problem comes from group waiting for buses, trains, tours etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived