Carnival Cruise first time to Alaska

BugsAndBeans

Hi Everyone,

First off, I'd love to thank you for all the information I've gathered in the past few months reading everything!

As the title suggested, I am booked on a 7 day Carnival cruise round trip out of Seattle in July 2015. The group traveling will be me, my husband, our 2 children (6 & 4), my 50 something parents, my 20 something sister, and my almost 87 year old Grandma. We will be traveling from the East Coast, and there is a good chance it is a once in a lifetime trip for all of the adults. As such, I was hoping to gain some insight from those who have btdt.

As of right now, my immediate family (hubby and kids) are planning on the Tracy's Arm small boat excursion, switching off with my parents as my youngest and Grandma can't do it, then in Skagway doing the White Pass RR, Klondike Highway, and Gold Camp excursion, as well as the Takshanuk Mountain Trail 4x4, then in Juneau a helicopter tour and Mendanhall float trip, and the Island Wings Traitor's Cove bear tour in Ketichikan. My questions are, is there is something we are missing in these options? And what excursion I'm each port would you recommend for someone in a wheelchair (Grandma) who, while she can't do everything physically, is all there mentally?

I'm sorry this is so long, but I just want everything to go well!

Thank you so much!

B&B

Hi Everyone,

First off, I'd love to thank you for all the information I've gathered in the past few months reading everything!

As the title suggested, I am booked on a 7 day Carnival cruise round trip out of Seattle in July 2015. The group traveling will be me, my husband, our 2 children (6 & 4), my 50 something parents, my 20 something sister, and my almost 87 year old Grandma. We will be traveling from the East Coast, and there is a good chance it is a once in a lifetime trip for all of the adults. As such, I was hoping to gain some insight from those who have btdt.

As of right now, my immediate family (hubby and kids) are planning on the Tracy's Arm small boat excursion, switching off with my parents as my youngest and Grandma can't do it, then in Skagway doing the White Pass RR, Klondike Highway, and Gold Camp excursion, as well as the Takshanuk Mountain Trail 4x4, then in Juneau a helicopter tour and Mendanhall float trip, and the Island Wings Traitor's Cove bear tour in Ketichikan. My questions are, is there is something we are missing in these options? And what excursion I'm each port would you recommend for someone in a wheelchair (Grandma) who, while she can't do everything physically, is all there mentally?

I'm sorry this is so long, but I just want everything to go well!

Thank you so much!

B&B

I do not recommend the Mendenhall float trip. It's so so at best in my opinion. A very tame ride with only a brief view of Mendenhall, rest of trip is trees and back yards. Superior, by far is the Taiya River out of Skagway for a float trip, or out of Haines. Money is far better spent elsewhere in my opinion.

I don't do Traitor's in July, too early for my preference and peak viewing which is in August. In July, Anan is the winner, end of month, Neets Bay.

Overall, you have made selections based on your interests. As for "missing" sure there is plenty. :) Depends on YOU, and what your priorities are.

There is plenty available for a wheelchair user, who also has some ability to stand and take a few steps, they could do most of your listed excursions,, including Tracy Arm, if of interest for your grandmother.

One point I will make, although Carnival doesn't have that great of an itinerary, they do have one of the three (in my opinion) top ship naturalists on board. So, you may want to consider attending some of those lectures.