Which place for Penguin Tours

cruisetilidrop

To me there is no need to do a private tour.

I would book more than one place though because due to the high winds ships sometimes can miss a port. Around 1/3 of the time they miss the Falklands as there are times it is not safe to run tender service there and I was on a ship that missed Punta Arenas one time.

I would book a tour of Otway Bay about a 45 minute drive from Punta Arenas and I would book one in the Falkland Islands.

Keith

Going on a South American tour around the horn. If I can only do one penguin tour, which port would you pick and why? Punta Arenas, Chile or Falkland Islands? Did you do a private tour? Who would you recommend?

In the Falklands, Bluff Cove Lagoon.

We did it on a previous trip and thoroughly enjoyed it. Not only did we get penguins, but on the drive out we got a local driver who provided an excellent commentary and answered questions as we passed through some amazing scenery. At the lagoon we saw penguins, dolphins and even cattle standing in the sea and grazing on kelp!

The endless complimentary cakes and refreshments at the on-site cafe just added to a superb trip.

I think most ships offer the excursion but, if not, they have a website: http://www.falklandpenguins.com.

Hope that helps.