Celebrity Silhouette/eflection vs. HAL Westerdam (7 yo son)?

wake74

We are planning a last minute vacation in two weeks (March 22/23 departure). We are experienced travelers, and have previously been on both DCL Wonder and RCCL Oasis. Enjoyed RCCL but loved Disney. We currently live in Central Florida and visit Disney often, probably too often :-) Our crowd is more "Amelia Island" than "Myrtle Beach" if that makes sense.

We have ruled out DCL for this trip, as it is $6k verses about $2,500 for Celebrity and $3k for HAL (all in balcony rooms). The difference between two good vacations this year and one.

A bit about us:

1. I would consider us fairly experienced travelers, and have traveled with our son since he was fairly young, both internationally and domestic.

2. I would definitely say we have fairly nice tastes, and much prefer "fine" dining over Applebees, Chilis (service, food quality, clientele).

3. Our son is a single child, very smart, and is used to being around adults. Like most 7 year olds, he is currently enthralled with Wii, IPhone apps, etc, but also enjoys the classic board games.

4. He has no problem getting dropped off, and enjoyed the kids clubs in both DCL and RCCL.

5. On "at sea" days, we spend most of it together, perhaps maybe an hour in the afternoon at the kids club, but then typically we feed him at the buffet and drop him off in the evening so we can have a nice slow dinner together, preferably with a glass (or two) of decent wine.

6. Excursions will mostly be beach together as a family, unless I can get a dive excursion in while they are at the beach.

Anyone offer any thoughts who have done both and have similar tastes?

Thanks!

Glenn

I have done both and would choose Celebrity over Holland for adults and kids. The youth program, Fun Factory is awesome on Celebrity. Way better than Holland. The dining choices are also better on Celebrity- more expansive. Kids (and adults) love Bistro on Five and Qsine! Yum.

The Fun Factory offers kids' lunches (12-2) and kid's dinners (5-7PM) for a $12 fee.

Holland has larger balcony staterooms than Celebrity but I personally wouldn't choose Holland over Celebrity.

Celebrity has equally good service, better pools and hot tubs, nicer furnishings and a more youthful atmosphere than Holland.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

I can't answer for kids programs, but for a child that has cruised before, the Silhouette will have much more 'Wow factor' than Westerdam. The whold vibe will be much more sedate on Westerdam. EM