Purchasing Beer to bring home

maryandmarge

We will be in Roatan in March on the Norwegian Sun. I heard they have really great beer in Honduras and would like to purchase a couple bottles to bring home to my son. Someone said you can purchase at Eldon Grocery store but I'm not sure how far from the pier and is it still in a touristy neighborhood where it is safe to walk from the ship. He likes to chill it and open it up at a family get together and everyone can have a taste of it. When we were on a cruise in Alaska in August after we checked in on the ship we walked to a Safeway grocery store in Seward and I bought a couple of dark beers - handed them over to security when we reboarded the ship and they were in my room the last night of our cruise to pack up. It was a great Christmas surprise. We had no issues with customs coming thru Canada. Also if anyone has suggestions for beer at the other 3 ports where we are stopping (Cozumel / Costa Maya / Belize) I would appreciate all the input I can get. Thanks much and happy sailing to everyone

• 4 weeks later...

Eldon's Sun Grocery is in Coxen Hole and French Harbor. Not far from the cruise port there. If you dock in Mahogany Bay, you'll need to catch a taxi. But head for French Harbor where there's also a Hiper Mega store.

Bring beer back on board is up tot he ship/cruise line you are sailing on. Thoses ships that allow this (and they do allow wine and liquor) will most likely take it form you and store it until the last evening or debarking once you return. That's not a big deal, if you weren't planning on drinking it on board.

I don't know if the groceries will allow only one or two bottles to be purchased. Probably need to buy a sixer. There are several types of Honduran beers, brewed by the same brewery. Salva Vida, is the most popular with cruisers. It's a lager, similar to Bud. Imperial is a darker pilsner similar to the German doppelbock style. Port Royal is a maibock style pilsner and has a bit more flavor than Salva Vida. There's also a Barena, light beer, that's not really worth the money. If bringing these back for someone else, ask if you can mix a six; take 2 SV's, 2 Imperials and 2 PRs.

A craft beer brewery was started on the mainland at a lodge in the center of the country in 2013. Not sure if it's gained traction or just sells it's brew at its lodge, but they do have a decent Honduran coffee stout and some fruit infused brews. Ask if the store carries any beer from D&D Brewery. Answer's probably no, but worth checking for.

Thanks so much for the info - I've printed it out to take with me. Son likes the darker brews so I'm hoping to pick up a couple of different beers to bring back. His friends get together and all get a taste of each one so it's not so much if they like it - it's more the experience of trying something different from out of the US. Happy Sailing

Thanks so much for the info - I've printed it out to take with me. Son likes the darker brews so I'm hoping to pick up a couple of different beers to bring back. His friends get together and all get a taste of each one so it's not so much if they like it - it's more the experience of trying something different from out of the US. Happy Sailing

Don't purchase the beer cold.

Also, if you're going to Belize (common stop on cruises to Roatan) pick your son up some Belikin Beer at the tender pier. Belikin is the most common, but its lager. They brew a stout, Belikin Stout and also a Belikin Premium which is a bit more hoppy than regular Belkin. It's the only brnd of beer sold in Belize.

Thanks so much for that information. Being in my 60's and growing up on a farm in the country we basically drank the Millers, Buds, and everyday type of beer. All the fancy ones are way beyond my knowledge...so once again cruise critic members come thru and help me with my choices. I'm sure my son will appreciate that on his birthday in April if I bring some home and surprise him with it.....