Cruising with Respiratory Problems

yuvraj

I have been on many cruises and my respiratory problems have created a few challenges. So I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread and perhaps we could share information.

Biggest problem for me is sorting out arrangements to take with me my BIPAP machine on a flight. Not had a problem on cruise ships but still important to notify them ahead of time and get clearance.

One thing that always confuses me is hand luggage allowance when it comes to taking medical equipment like BIPAP. There doesn't appear to be a consistent policy across airlines.

your medical device is not included in your carry on allowence. actually DH had a heart transplant and because he takes enough medicine to fill up a travel bag they let that go as an extra too. You might want to make sure you have a current converter plug for your bipap machine incase something happens and you have to get a hotel on land in a foreign country. Also please know your machines settings. I am a respiratory therapist and you would not believe how many patients we have come in and we have top guess at what their settings are. In an emergency knowing the correct numbers can save time and get yoy feeling better faster. Not all hospitals will let you use your own machine until it is checked out by an electrician.

Edited by kassimer1

Good call!....I do not know my settings but will by tomorrow!...leaving thurs for a month on different islands so trying to provide as much med info as possible if necessary...I have had to have my machine checked at the hosp only once out of numerous times...thanks again!

I use an O2 concentrator and I just got kicked out of my seat on a round trip flight to Hawaii.

I had booked the first row of first class on a Boeing 737-800. New rules say the "bulkhead seats" are deemed exit rows and you must be physically able to assist in an emergency. News to me. Also, there is nowhere to store the concentrator for take off and landings (I thought they could store it in the coat closet right in front of me). After a bunch of hassle that included a real long look at my papers, I was moved to the back row of first class which are yucky seats in my opinion.

I was also told that I must book window seats. Guess the air tube is a tripping hazard.

I hope I don't have as much trouble on a cruise!

I use an O2 concentrator and I just got kicked out of my seat on a round trip flight to Hawaii.

I had booked the first row of first class on a Boeing 737-800. New rules say the "bulkhead seats" are deemed exit rows and you must be physically able to assist in an emergency. News to me. Also, there is nowhere to store the concentrator for take off and landings (I thought they could store it in the coat closet right in front of me). After a bunch of hassle that included a real long look at my papers, I was moved to the back row of first class which are yucky seats in my opinion.

I was also told that I must book window seats. Guess the air tube is a tripping hazard.

I hope I don't have as much trouble on a cruise!

I have just come back from a fly/cruise and flew on Virgin Atlantic. Had to jump through a few hoops to get everything authorised but the flight itself was hassle free.

I don't need to use oxygen but I have a BIPAP with a separate battery and lots of tubing etc. I chose an aisle seat and they seemed to be happy with that. A window seat would have caused so many practical problems.

As I flew economy, the space was a little cramped when it came to using the bipap. In future, I may pay extra for seats with extra leg room. It's a small premium and worth it in my opinion. Upgrading to Premium economy might be another option.

What is the difference between a C-pap and a bi-pap machine? I use a machine with a humidifier. Does the setting change from when it was set up at delivery? Guy who delivered and set up was on the phone the whole time so he was distracted and not too informative. I was just out of hospital and not too sharp at the time.

What is the difference between a C-pap and a bi-pap machine? I use a machine with a humidifier. Does the setting change from when it was set up at delivery? Guy who delivered and set up was on the phone the whole time so he was distracted and not too informative. I was just out of hospital and not too sharp at the time.

Often same machine but operating in different modes to treat different illnesses. Bi-pap is essentially a ventilator to helps you breath, similar to the ventilator you see in hospital. C-Pap stops your airways getting blocked and is used to treat sleep apnea.

• 2 weeks later...

CPAP is one continuous pressure whether you are breathing in or out. BIPAP has 2 levels of pressure. the low level is for when you breathe out and the higher level is for when you breathe in. CPAP and the low pressure on the BIPAP help to increase your oxygen level by keeping your airway open. The higher pressure on the BIPAP makes you take a bigger breath in than you would on your own. this helps to lower your Carbon dioxide level. Carbon dioxide is your waste product of breathing like your waste product of drinking is peeing. In some cases you are unable to get rid of it like you should and the doctor will put you on the BIPAP. so if you dont have trouble with your Carbon dioxide being to high you will be on the CPAP. hope this helps

Great explanation kassimer1. Thank you! I have tried explaining our son's bipap (now changed to avaps which also has volume ventilation) to my husband but couldn't find an easy way to explain it other than the continuous vs bilevel. The CO2 retention is definitely a big part of our son's issues and hits the nail on the head.

Great explanation kassimer1. Thank you! I have tried explaining our son's bipap (now changed to avaps which also has volume ventilation) to my husband but couldn't find an easy way to explain it other than the continuous vs bilevel. The CO2 retention is definitely a big part of our son's issues and hits the nail on the head.

glad i could help.

• 3 weeks later...
CPAP is one continuous pressure whether you are breathing in or out. BIPAP has 2 levels of pressure. the low level is for when you breathe out and the higher level is for when you breathe in. CPAP and the low pressure on the BIPAP help to increase your oxygen level by keeping your airway open. The higher pressure on the BIPAP makes you take a bigger breath in than you would on your own. this helps to lower your Carbon dioxide level. Carbon dioxide is your waste product of breathing like your waste product of drinking is peeing. In some cases you are unable to get rid of it like you should and the doctor will put you on the BIPAP. so if you dont have trouble with your Carbon dioxide being to high you will be on the CPAP. hope this helps

Thanks so much for this explanation! DH has sleep apnea and has used a CPAP for about ten years. But after his last sleep study test they recommended a Bipap. Didn't get authorization so no bipap. He has no problem with CPAP.