Decisions, decisions, hotels in Vancouver

I usually don't have that much trouble making decisions. We are doing a back to back cruise on the NCL Sun in August/September 2017 out of Vancouver to Seward and back to Vancouver. Then we'll be staying in Vancouver for a couple days.

I have figured out transportation, decided on excursions, what we're going to do in Vancouver, but am having lots of difficulty deciding on hotels! Part of the reason for this is that the prices really vary from day to day depending on which site I go to. I have it narrowed down to some degree, but not finalized. I watch the hotels, and read the reviews and see what I like about the area, with the google maps. All of this is due to everyone's help here, of course.

Am I making a mistake waiting a couple months to see if the hotel I want gets back up on Groupon for the time period we'll be there? Or should I just bite the bullet now and make a decision?

The list is VERY helpful.

But a few of the hotels I'm confused about because of names that are different.

For example, I saw a deal for Pinnacle at the Pier, but is that the same as Pinnacle Harbourfront?

I was interested in doing the YWCA for our first night since we're taking the late Amtrak Cascades train from Seattle, and will just have that one night before our cruise, although Pinnacle at the Pier was tempting. Hubby does not want to stay at the YWCA - but that may be out because last time I looked for our time frame, they no longer had a room with a private bathroom.

The biggest problem is that the prices vary so much from day to day, it makes it difficult. And then the groupon which has Moda (not on your list) and Executive Hotel Vintage Park (not on your list), but they expire in April, so I'd have to wait to see if they show up again for my time frame. I've been checking trivago which has prices from all the different providers (Booking.com included). Hubby likes the look of the Executive Hotel Vintage park. I thought about the Sylvia - but he wants something more modern.

So I guess the real question I have is - if I wait a couple months and keep watching, will there be nothing left except for the really expensive places? I really don't want to pay $400 a night for a place we're going to use to sleep and shower.

Thank you for all your help. It is very valuable. We have not been on a real vacation for a long time, and this is a once in a lifetime vacation so I want to make it very special.

The list is VERY helpful.

But a few of the hotels I'm confused about because of names that are different.

For example, I saw a deal for Pinnacle at the Pier, but is that the same as Pinnacle Harbourfront?

I was interested in doing the YWCA for our first night since we're taking the late Amtrak Cascades train from Seattle, and will just have that one night before our cruise, although Pinnacle at the Pier was tempting. Hubby does not want to stay at the YWCA - but that may be out because last time I looked for our time frame, they no longer had a room with a private bathroom.

The biggest problem is that the prices vary so much from day to day, it makes it difficult. And then the groupon which has Moda (not on your list) and Executive Hotel Vintage Park (not on your list), but they expire in April, so I'd have to wait to see if they show up again for my time frame. I've been checking trivago which has prices from all the different providers (Booking.com included). Hubby likes the look of the Executive Hotel Vintage park. I thought about the Sylvia - but he wants something more modern.

So I guess the real question I have is - if I wait a couple months and keep watching, will there be nothing left except for the really expensive places? I really don't want to pay $400 a night for a place we're going to use to sleep and shower.

Thank you for all your help. It is very valuable. We have not been on a real vacation for a long time, and this is a once in a lifetime vacation so I want to make it very special.

Firstly, no - do not wait for a Groupon at a specific hotel. Hotel occupancy rates in Vancouver are high, especially in cruise season - frankly, any hotel that needs Groupons to bring in business is doing something fundamentally wrong! A brand-new hotel maybe, but any established one? Warning sign to me. Moda has a great resto, wine bar, and liquor store - but the hotel itself is small and old (renovated with modern stylings but the bones are still old), right on a very busy intersection, and would not be a place I'd recommend unless you come prepared with earplugs to ensure a good nights sleep.

Pinnacle at the Pier is not the same hotel - it's not even in the same city! It's in North Vancouver, across the water. Only a Seabus ride away, so at a good rate worth considering, but be aware that you are at least 20-35mins from downtown Vancouver and double that late at night when they cut the departures to one vessel back & forth instead of two simultaneously. Always google actual address of all hotels and compare to a known landmark - and use Walking directions so you can see if there's a ferry involved!

It's a shame you didn't pull the trigger on the YWCA - it's a very, VERY popular option because it's such incredible value. Shared bathroom rooms are obviously much less desirable but even those are often entirely sold out in peak summer months.

Right now I would book ANY hotel on your list that offers a refundable rate. Prices will only drop when you get much closer to the actual date and rooms remain unfilled - if you check Expedia and similar with a month or less, there are always 3* or better hotels available for well south of US$200 (often even <CAD$200). Keep checking, Google any potential bargains, and when you do see one trust your gut - as long as you check Tripadvisor and have the actual address on a map in front of you, when you're happy with a price - pull the trigger, because deals here never last.

One final option - blind bidding. If you restrict yourself to 4* or better (and make sure it's downtown Vancouver proper, not North Van or West Van or East Van - neighbourhoods like the West End, English Bay, Central/Downtown Business District tend to be the names allocated on priceline, hotwire etc) there are literally zero bad hotels you can end up in. The worst case scenario would probably be an older room at Sutton Place - and even that's a very solid hotel with a great location. All the otherwise-decent hotels with downsides (like noise from bars/clubs) are 3.5* or less, none of the 4*+ are in the Entertainment District or similar.

Additional thoughts on the Pinnacle Pier..

as you are arriving near midnight with Amtrak..... a low frequency ferry/train is not the best way to get to hotels. Taxi may be the best option to salvage every minute of sleep time. However when you enter the numbers onto a taxi calculator.... you need to budget or add $42 the Pier rate for a taxi ride.

Just had a look at the booking.com Pinnacle Pier rates for Aug 20.... it shows as USD $208. With a cab surcharge.... the rates goes up to USD$250.

The following would good alternatives (booking.com for Aug 20 availability.)

• $116 YWCA w/ private bathroom
  • $151 Days Inn » check online reviews for potential issues
  • $178 Century Plaza
  • $186 Empire Landmark
  • $193 Blue Horizon » forum fav value hotel
  • $193 Metropolitan » 5 blocks from cruise terminal

To clarify.... what days are you looking for a hotel room?

Edited by xlxo

Thank you so much for your input.

We are arriving 8-27, ship leaves 8-28, back on 9-11, and staying in Vancouver until 9-13.

I really appreciate the help. I think I will try the priceline route. I hadn't received that kind of feedback about how to bid on Priceline, so I wasn't sure about areas, but you clarified what I needed to do. I did start to reserve refundable rooms, but did not do that, so that's a great option as well.

Thank you again.

Looking at booking.com in USD for double occupancy for August 27 one night...

• $116 YWCA with private bathroom
  • $119 Barclay
  • $145 Moda
  • $151 Days Inn
  • $186 Empire Landmark
  • $190 Century Plaza
  • $193 Metropolitan » 5 blocks from cruise terminal
  • $201 Blue Horizon
  • $215 Rosedale » suites!
  • $235 Sutton Place
  • $380 Pan Pacific

Lock in the YWCA while that room with a private bathroom is still available? Otherwise, Metropolitan is half price compared to the Panny would be my next choice for pre-cruise.

Pinnacle on the Pier is $208, but you need to add a $41 taxi surcharge. Other hotels will be around a $10 taxi surcharge.

Post cruise for TWO nights on booking.com in USD on double occupancy....

• $231 YWCA with private bathroom
  • $207 Barclay
  • $341 Pinnacle on the Pier » need to budget extra transportation costs to hotel. Ferry and subway is a great idea for additional savings
  • $373 Empire Landmark
  • $379 Days Inn » check online reviews for potential issues. 3 blocks from cruise terminal
  • $411 Holiday Inn
  • $431 Blue Horizon » forum budget fav
  • $431 Rosedale » suites!
  • $446 Metropolitan
  • $810 Pan Pacific