Complimentary Wines - Seabourn

rwlid

Just returned from a 10 day Med cruise on Sojourn. I noticed there have been previous comments about the so called "Complimentary Wines" served. I say so called, because you are in effect paying for them anyway as part of the overall cost.

I agree that some of the wines are pretty ordinary and we asked the young lady who looked after our room if she could get a list of all the available wines. She was a little dubious about being able to get one, but next day it turned up. It revealed some quite nice wines including a Sancerre, Pouilly Fuisse, Zinfandel etc etc. When dining other wines seemed to be pushed and you had to specifically ask for these and when doing so I got some "how did you know about that one" looks from the wine waiters.

In my comments back to Seabourn in the survey, I suggested that they generally improve the quality of wine and also provide a list of available wines to all. As our cruise went through some great wine regions, I also suggested that they might try and source local wines during the various port stops.

The list of house wines is not a secret. A pleasant request to the Sommelier or the Bar Manager ( not your stewardess) and you will usually receive a copy of the list. And while it may seem to some that they are "pushing" wines each night it is more that they decide for convenience sake to highlight a red and a white each evening. When that has not been our preference we have never noticed the beverage waiter even blanch when we asked for another wine we knew was available.

Sent from my iPad using Forums