Haines to Skagway to Emerald Lake?

jdmss

I really want to drive to Emerald Lake but our ship docks in Haines. Is it possible to take the ferry (40 minutes?) to Skagway, rent the car and then drive to Emerald Lake and back without total exhaustion? Or should we just forget it and spend the day in Haines.

Do you have at least a 12 hour port stop in Haines??? If so, You could easily take the fast ferry- VERIFY schedules and especially the returns. They change it frequently. You can also fly between the two and get a sightseeing glacier trip added?? Haines does have attractions as well, determine what your priorities are?

Yes, thanks, we are in port from 6 am to 8 pm, so that really will give us time, not too rushed, did check out the schedules for the fast ferry, apparantly 26 sailings a day so we should be fine. Avis is closed so will have to go through Sourdough (sp? i think) rentals. Thanks for your advice.

Yes, thanks, we are in port from 6 am to 8 pm, so that really will give us time, not too rushed, did check out the schedules for the fast ferry, apparantly 26 sailings a day so we should be fine. Avis is closed so will have to go through Sourdough (sp? i think) rentals. Thanks for your advice.

IF Avis is closed, when are you going??? Significant since the ferry schedules greatly reduce end of season, I've gone in beg. of Sept. WHEN Avis was still open and they were only running every two hours. SO call them directly before you make any firm plans. I also can NOT recommend Sourdough. My car was grossly under maintained, extremely poor gas milage, there was a recent report of one of their cars also breaking down on the Klondike Highway. When I called them to report the problem- didn't seem at all concerned. It used to be their cars were just dirty- but now it has gone further, in my opinion. I was their first cruise ship passenger rental, the car should have been in top shape.

We are leaving Vancouver, September17, and I checked with Avis and they close down September17, so Sourdough is the only place left. I will phone and recheck the fast ferry schedules beforehand.

Archived