Embers Tribe excursion

golfb4cruzing

Doing partial canal on Princess and looking at the Embera Excursion. It states that we travel an hour in a motorized dugout canoe. We've been on enough trips to know things can be over dramatized. I have some mobility issues and sitting in a "canoe" for an hour means I'm not coming out of it. Has anyone done this excursions and/or have a pic of said canoes?

Thanks for your help.

When we did this tour a little over a year ago, the canoe trip was only about 15 minutes.

There are a number of the Embara villages, and some are a lot closer to the dock. The bus ride to the dock was about an hour. There was a fairly steep walk from the canoe to the village, but there were members of the tribe helping people who were having difficulty. This tour, however, was a highlight of the cruise.

There was some rain and it was muddy, so wear closed shoes and carry an umbrella.

We did this through Princess a few weeks ago. We had a hand when getting in and out of the canoe, and it was more like 30 minutes. Depending on your mobility concern, an issue could be the short but relatively steep hill when you arrive at the village. If you feel like you can do it, this is an outstanding excursion!

• 2 weeks later...

Since several villages can be used for the excursions, the ones that are closer in have ''fairly'' modern facilities, while the more remote village is as you might expect more primitive. However going in April I doubt that you would use the more remote village due to low water.

• 1 month later...

After reading the posts about the canoes....have had knee replacement, and a bit on the "fluffy" side, will the getting in and out of the canoe be an issue? I would love to be able to make the trip, but don't want to be a problem!

After reading the posts about the canoes....have had knee replacement, and a bit on the "fluffy" side, will the getting in and out of the canoe be an issue? I would love to be able to make the trip, but don't want to be a problem!

The boats (Cayucos plural) used to get you to the villages are really much larger and more stable than what most people think of as a canoe. There are people to help you with getting in and out and as you can see in the pic below the boats are stable enough to stand in. Hope this helps.

6hme0k.jpg