Nicest beach that's CLOSEST to the port?

ChristieNJ

Hi everyone!

Last time I was in Martinique was 1998 and I remember nothing about that visit! lol Anyway, we will be there in December, and I'll be with my mother who is not well, medically. We need a beach that is the closest to the ship, in case she had an asthma attack or other issue so that we can be close to the ship and its infirmary.

Any suggestions would be SO welcome!! TIA!! :)

Fort-de-France is a big city with no real beach, that I was aware of.

They call this a beach, which is right there:

https://www.google.ch/maps/@14.6015058,-61.0679719,3a,75y,110.32h,83.44t/data=!3m5!1e1!3m3!1s8y47pAJ4Kq4AAAQYKI40zw!2e0!3e11?hl=de

Though there is right in the port area a small ferry that brings you to a beach, but in case of an emergency that's probably not what you're looking for.

We normally take the local ferry across the bay from Fort de France to Pointe du Bout and go to what used to be the Sofitel Hotel (I think it is now called Hotel Bakoua, though it may still be owned by the Accor group).

Hotel has own white sand beach (half of which is reserved for residents) in a shallow sheltered bay with a bar in the sea. We normally have lunch on the verranda overlooking the beach.

Absolutely no need to book or make any arrangements for a group. The ferry leaves regularly to a published timetable from the town centre quay.

Note: Cruise ships use both the cruise terminal and, particularly the larger ships, a quay the military port. Whatever, it is an easy walk to the Trois Ilets ferry terminal from either of these terminals.

Absolutely no need to make a ferry booking, in fact I don't think one can book as it is more of a local 'bus' service on water. Ferry trip is around 3 miles. You will need Euros to pay for the ferry which I seem to recall is around 7€ each way.

Hi everyone!

Last time I was in Martinique was 1998 and I remember nothing about that visit! lol Anyway, we will be there in December, and I'll be with my mother who is not well, medically. We need a beach that is the closest to the ship, in case she had an asthma attack or other issue so that we can be close to the ship and its infirmary.

Any suggestions would be SO welcome!! TIA!! :)

Martinique is a fully integrated part of France, in the same way as Hawaii is a fully integrated part of the USA, and has excellent doctors and medical facilities of the same outstanding quality as metropolitan France.

In an emergency just dial 15 from any phone, or get a French person to do it for you from their mobile, and the SAMU (Service d'Aide Médicale Urgente), emergency medics with a fully equipped medical support vehicle, will arrive within minutes.

If the incident is transient, but the medics feel that your mother needs care and supervision, as opposed to hospitalising, then they will probably take mother back to the ship in their big red 'van'.

If you go to any beach which is near to, or part of a hotel, then you can be sure that the hotel will have well established procedures for dealing with any medical emergencies.

Hopefully this is information which you will not need to use.

Edited by Corfe Mixture