Accommodation and transport in New York

norfolk53golf

G'day to all of you knowledgable New York residents. My dw and I are looking at a 9 night cruise from Cape Liberty on Liberty of the Seas in September 2015. We are thinking of staying at the Country Inn at Newark pre cruise due to the good reviews and price. Is it relatively easy to get into New York city for sight seeing and the usual tourist things. I am an above knee amputee so have some mobility issues but generally can get around pretty well. Is it best to use the public transport system or some other method of transport from Newark. Many thanks everyone.

Looks like a nice place, although being local I have no direct experience with the Country Inn. You should know that you will be at the Newark airport, which is a few miles from Downtown and Newark Penn Station. If you use the hotel Shuttle to the train, you'll go to the airport monorail that will take you to a NJ Transit train to New York Penn Station. All easy to do, but you won't just walk onto a train to NYC.

The train fare is $12.50 or $8.75 senior/disabled and Penn Station is a good place to start in the City. I would use the train/subways to get around as it's really the best way to move around Manhattan. Many of the busier stations (Times Square, Fulton Street near Ground Zero, etc) are accessible. You can check out maps at http://www.mta.info.

One thing you should know is that it's a substantial cab fare fom the Newark airport area to the cruiseport, around $50 each way. There's not many lodging options near the cruiseport, but you ought to be prepared for the taxi sticker shock.

Bill

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Forums mobile app

What are your exact dates? What airport are you flying into? What is your hotel budget?

I just spent several days at the Courtyard in Jersey City which would be a better choice if it fits into your budget. It's an extra cab fare, but the cost of getting into the city is $2.50 instead of $10.75-$12.50/pp each way, so it might be worth the money.