Prinsendam....

Rotterdam

How is she doing - anyone saiol on this lovely ship lately?

Fellow cc'ers who have just returned reported in to our roll call (bless their hearts). They all had a great time. One did report that there were some creaks (showing her age a bit I guess). When we were on in November last we were enchanted with her.:D The Elegant Explorer is scheduled for a two week drydock in November I believe.

We got on with a bit of trepidation in November and fell in love within 20 minutes:D she deserves her name IMO:) and we have booked on her again;)

I will look at the reviews...seems the old girl is showing her age....I sailed her a few years ago....fantastic ship.

I did a live review when I was on - to be honest - I hunted pretty hard and did not see too much sign of 'showing her age' (or should I say experience:p). Of course she is not new - but if she was she wouldn't be the size she is nor have the charm that she does.:)

The reviews on her seem to be very mixed - perhaps different expectations or the dream they would be on a floating hotel and not a ship? - but she still has the largest repeat passenger ratio on the HAL ships:) and deservedly so IMO:)

The biggest problem we encountered when we did the SA in 2011 was the slowness of the elevators and the fact that one of the four tended to be non-functioning. We never minded this until my husband's arthritis made elevator riding important. We would always use the stairs before that.

However, we are going on Prinsendam in the winter, the SA cruise again. Perhaps something will be done to cure the elevator problem while the ship is in dry dock.

d

D

I will look at the reviews...seems the old girl is showing her age....I sailed her a few years ago....fantastic ship.

My earlier comments on a different thread were comparing her to the condition she was in when purchased by HAL and how she looks now. Of course there would be some expected signs of aging but what I saw was pure neglect. Paint in the Lido was flaking off and exposing bare wood (I am told this entire area is to be remodeled and enlarged during dry dock). Individual cabins were in various states of disrepair. Ours had a slider to the balcony that was so frosted over we couldn't see out. Believe me I hadn't paid for a partial ocean view!! LOL In fairness - they did change it out after I made several requests. Some things that have been done have cheapened the appearance ie remodels in the top suites. They have put in downright ugly leather furniture replacing the upholstered that was formerly there. The refrigerators are exposed. Lots of little things like that I saw that downgrade her from "elegant" to just nice.

My earlier comments on a different thread were comparing her to the condition she was in when purchased by HAL and how she looks now. Of course there would be some expected signs of aging but what I saw was pure neglect. Paint in the Lido was flaking off and exposing bare wood (I am told this entire area is to be remodeled and enlarged during dry dock). Individual cabins were in various states of disrepair. Ours had a slider to the balcony that was so frosted over we couldn't see out. Believe me I hadn't paid for a partial ocean view!! LOL In fairness - they did change it out after I made several requests. Some things that have been done have cheapened the appearance ie remodels in the top suites. They have put in downright ugly leather furniture replacing the upholstered that was formerly there. The refrigerators are exposed. Lots of little things like that I saw that downgrade her from "elegant" to just nice.

Into the fray I go - we had a suite on the ship in November - our leather couches were great - and yes, we do have taste. In fact we were very impressed with the ship. Each to their own - and yes, DH and I are quite fussy - DH liked the suite better than the PH on the Zuiderdam - I think that says something - anyways each to their own - as I said - their will be conflicting reports on this ship - each to their own:D We loved it:D

hi - besides the Lido remodel, any idea what else will be worked on while the Prinsedam is in dry dock this year?

Anyone know if they remodeled the theater as remember the seats were incredibly uncomfortable a few years ago?

Seats in the theatre were comfortable last November when we were there:)

Dry Dock - also reported that they will be getting new life boats.

There are going to be soft goods done - (am assuming new furniture) that's all I have heard so far:o

Archived