Eden Rock vs. Cheeseburger Reef...

hgorski

Hi all! I'm looking to do some shore snorkeling on grand cayman and read a lot about each of these sites. What reef is the best for snorkeling and seeing coral and fish? Thanks for your input :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Eden Rock has a very good reputation for snorkeling and is only a 4 min walk from the tender quay. However, in January when I was last there, there was a lot of rain and wind...the upshot was that the snorkeling was pretty average, but I would put that down to the weather. I know nothing of Cheeseburger Reef but am interested in learning about it as we will be there a again this January.

Eden Rock is "big boy pants" snorkeling (as is Sunset House which regular readers might associate with me)

At Eden there is no beach ... you jump into water 'over your head' and swim out about 100 yards to the 'site'

Water depth at Eden Rock and Devil's Grotto will approach 50 feet .... as a snorkeler you'll be looking down but YES when the coral is TALL you could be 5 feet from "the bottom" REMEMBER ... NEVER stand on the coral!!!!!

From a former life guard's perspective .... you can not stand up ! ! !

So you need to be an experienced snorkeler

OP says: I'm looking to do some shore snorkeling on grand cayman

WHEN????? and what is your experience level?

Edited by Capt_BJ

I will soon be 70 and not in the greatest of shape....which may tell you something. There is a ladder/stairs at Eden Rock ingress and egress is about as easy as it comes. Once in the water, the depth at the ladder is about 4 to 5 feet so putting on fins is pretty easy. Yes, it a fair distance out to the buoy but if I can do it.....well anyone who swims and has snorkeled before should not have a problem. You may want to think about a vest though.

• 9 months later...

Snorkeling at Edens was disappointing to me, too deep. More of a diving site. It seemed 30 to 40ft to me....no colors, everything blue.

What was great however was to follow the shore north toward and past the restaurant. Many fish, groupers and parrot fish nibbling on the small coral "walls" around the area. Also very close to shore.

Thanks for sharing you experience as you move north from Eden Rock. Yes, there are some deep areas around ER but if you move out to the reef it does get much shallower. However I am certainly game to try the area you describe.