Europe Excursions and US Dollar

Jimmers

We have a TA planned for April 08 with stops at the Azores, Ireland, England, France, Belgium, and Holland. We're trying to get some idea of what our shore sightseeing/excursions are going to cost, given the US dollar value there.

The excursions aren't listed online yet. Don't know what we'll do in the Azores or England. We definitely want to go to "blarney" castle in Ireland. We plan to take a tour of Paris which I understand is an hour or more from the pier. We plan to take a taxi into Bruge for a walking or canal tour. Same thing in Amsterdam where we're staying an extra day. We already know our hotel is going to run around $500 US which includes all transfers.

I know it's a tough order but based on your own experiences or knowledge does anyone have a ball park estimate of what our shore time will cost in US dollars.

Jimmers:)

We plan to take a tour of Paris which I understand is an hour or more from the pier.

Granted, I don't know where your ship is docking, but I'd be very surprised if the journey was an hour. I think it is three hours each way from some ports.

It would help with the others if you said what ports you were calling in at, and roughly how long you have there.

Matthew

We have a TA planned for April 08 with stops at the Azores, Ireland, England, France, Belgium, and Holland. We're trying to get some idea of what our shore sightseeing/excursions are going to cost, given the US dollar value there.

Jimmers:)

Don't book your tours through the cruise line - they are way overpriced - find private tours for a group of 10 or 12 - get quotes in US $$ and lock in your price - pick up your tour partners on your cruise roll call - $500 a night even with transfers is ridiculous - you could have done much better.

More like three each way, I think. Where are you docking?

Sorry,

Sailing on Jewel of the Seas

Ponta Delgada, Azores

Cork Ireland

Cornwall (Falmouth) England

LeHavre France

Zeebrugge, Belgium

Amsterdam Holland

Jimmers

Sorry,

Sailing on Jewel of the Seas

Ponta Delgada, Azores

Cork Ireland

Cornwall (Falmouth) England

LeHavre France

Zeebrugge, Belgium

Amsterdam Holland

Jimmers

Jimmers Cork is easy to do on your own.

The train station is along side the ship in Cobh and the train goes every half hour into Cork,a short walk into town will bring you first to the bus station and the local bus for Blarney...have done this and it really is easy.

You will be there sooner than the ships tours, then hop on same bus back to Cork, have a look round , then train back to ship.

A late lunch on board then into Cobh itself and just walk around, loads of Titanic places and great local pubs, Cobh is a great town with its own Cathedral.lovely people there too.

Remember Guiness is to be drunk in Dublin but its Murphys [or Beamish also ] in Cork.

Hi Jimmers, We're getting on Jewel when you get off!

We're flying in to Amsterdam on the 12th April, staying overnight then taking a short cruise ending in Oslo! Where are you staying in Amsterdam? We've been looking for somewhere central but it's looking very expensive. Tulip season, I think.We have a room booked at the Novotel at the moment but it's not walkable to the centre, so will cancel if we can find somewhere better.

As far as Bruges goes, we were there for a long weekend in October and loved it. It's easy to fit in a canal ride and a walkng tour as it's very compact. Don't forget to buy some gorgeous Belgian chocolate and sit outside a cafe/bar/restaurant in the Maarkt square. If the weather's still a little chilly they'll have the patio heaters on and you can enjoy a gluwein or hot chocolate with a shot of something warming!! Lovely place.

Jimmers Cork is easy to do on your own.

The train station is along side the ship in Cobh and the train goes every half hour into Cork,a short walk into town will bring you first to the bus station and the local bus for Blarney...have done this and it really is easy.

You will be there sooner than the ships tours, then hop on same bus back to Cork, have a look round , then train back to ship.

A late lunch on board then into Cobh itself and just walk around, loads of Titanic places and great local pubs, Cobh is a great town with its own Cathedral.lovely people there too.

Remember Guiness is to be drunk in Dublin but its Murphys [or Beamish also ] in Cork.

Definitely looks like a great plan. Thanks for Guiness tip, I had no idea. Cobh sounds like my cup of tea. One question, is it within walking distance of the ship?

Jimmers

Where are you staying in Amsterdam?

As far as Bruges goes, we were there for a long weekend in October and loved it. It's easy to fit in a canal ride and a walkng tour as it's very compact.

We are staying at the Radisson Sas. From checking it does seem to be centrally located. As I said it was $259pp including ship/hotel/ap transfers. Probably could've got a better deal on my own but this is our first trip to Europe and didn't want any hassles.

I've done some reading on Bruges and can't wait to actually see it in person. I love history and architecture and it seems to have plenty of both. The walking/canal tour seems to be the best way to see it.

I realize we're only going to being getting a "snapshot" of these places but we figure we can always go back for a land vacation to the places we would like to explore in more detail.

I appreciate the suggestions from all.

Jimmers

Jimmers -

There is a active roll call for this cruise you might find interesting at - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=537326

There is alot of info about the ship and general port info on this Roll Call. There are 88 currently signed up for the Meet and Mingle - the more the merrier!

You can also find the excursions and costs for each port of the RCI site. You can't get the info if you try the "legal" way from your booking number. It takes a little digging but you can get all the ships excursions and prices for each port. Here's the link - http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ports/group/home.do;jsessionid=0000_JR4o1oIe_eYsdbBtEMdZ1D:12hdhua36?dest=T.ATL

Tulip season, I think.We have a room booked at the Novotel at the moment but it's not walkable to the centre, so will cancel if we can find somewhere better.

We stayed at a Novotel in Amsterdam when we went and as I think there is only one, I have to say that it was in a ok position, despite not being in walking distance of the city. There is a tram that goes from 200m away from the hotel into the city (the hotel sells ticket passes). RAI train station, which is also only a couple of 100m away has trains that go directly to the airport.

While I would have loved to stay closer to the centre, I was happy to have saved money to spend on other things. It is also close to the De Pijp area, which we found to have nice cafes and shops.

sailigkiwi - thanks for that info. We often stay in Novotels 'cause they are great value for families with young teens. We have a great rate of 162 Euros, so am having difficulty finding anything more central for anything like that price.

We have an expensive summer cruise coming up, so are trying to keep the cost of this short break as low as possible!! Cruise is a bargain, but start adding hotels and airfare and it quickly adds up. So, thanks for your positive comments!:)

Jimmers -

There is a active roll call for this cruise you might find interesting at - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=537326

There is alot of info about the ship and general port info on this Roll Call. There are 88 currently signed up for the Meet and Mingle - the more the merrier!

You can also find the excursions and costs for each port of the RCI site. You can't get the info if you try the "legal" way from your booking number. It takes a little digging but you can get all the ships excursions and prices for each port. Here's the link - http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ports/group/home.do;jsessionid=0000_JR4o1oIe_eYsdbBtEMdZ1D:12hdhua36?dest=T.ATL

Thanks so much for this info. You're right I was trying to go the legal route, didn't realize they were "hiding" it.

Jimmers

Definitely looks like a great plan. Thanks for Guiness tip, I had no idea. Cobh sounds like my cup of tea. One question, is it within walking distance of the ship?

Jimmers

The ship practicaly docks in the town.

Just walk off ship thro dock gate and you are at one end of town

A wonderful place and when we left the towns folk lined the streets and hillside to wave us off.

In the Azores you will be better off to take an Island tour as the scenery outside the city is very impressive and the town is nothing special at all.

If you do Paris "On Your Own" go to the Smartiane Dept. Store alongside the Seine, do lunch on the rooftop terrace, and get great vies of Paris for free!

I received a suggestion from a friend that we buy our Euros and GBP now instead of waiting to sail N. Europe/Baltics in July. He may have a good idea, as it's not looking as though the USD is going anywhere but down - at least until after the election. Maybe a $1,000 investment now might help our situation.

If you do Paris "On Your Own" go to the Smartiane Dept. Store alongside the Seine, do lunch on the rooftop terrace, and get great vies of Paris for free!

It was a great view. Unfortunately, La Samaritaine closed in 2005 to correct some serious fire safety problems, and is not scheduled to reopen until at least 2011. There was some talk that it might be converted into condos, prompting the Paris municipal council to instantly zone the building exclusively for retail commercial activity, to prevent conversion to a hotel or offices. Of course, that could change. Meanwhile, there's the rooftop terrace cafe at Galleries Lafayette.

For those looking for a place in Amsterdam, we faced the same problem last April and wanted a good location that would not break the budget. In the end we used Priceline and bid $122 for a 4* hotel and got the Amsterdam Marriott. What a steal at that price and its in a great location. If you want to try Priceline you should first check on their sister site (http://www.biddingfortravel.com) to get an idea of current bids.

Hank

I received a suggestion from a friend that we buy our Euros and GBP now instead of waiting to sail N. Europe/Baltics in July. He may have a good idea, as it's not looking as though the USD is going anywhere but down - at least until after the election. Maybe a $1,000 investment now might help our situation.
We have already purchased our Euros and pounds for our cruise next August and Sept. We have booked our St. Petersburg tour in US dollars and our hotel in London has been pre paid in US dollars.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought 150pounds for "walking around money" in England and Scotland for this coming July's cruise. Cost-$333.00USD yesterday. I am buying Euros but will wait until Jan. when tourist "season" is over. Cost quoted yesterday for 150 Euros was 1 Euro=$1.49USD. I think that is a little high......

All I am going to add to this thread is take more money or plan on spending more money no matter what currency you will be spending than you planned to spend.I go to Europe on a fairly regular basis and I was blown away by the prices in Paris in Euro let alone the conversion.I just came back.I usually do some x-mas shopping there etc.,and eat the difference,but not this year..way to much.Talked with some other's who felt the same way and they were traveling around a bit more than I was.They were using the ATM much more than planned.The day I went to London I just doubled everything,said no way,hello to the Queen,had a great cheesburger,and hopped the train back to Paris.

Archived