Formal Nights

manime

Just returned home from our favolosa western med cruise earlier this week.

We only had one formal night and dresses ranged from summer dresses, cocktaildresses to very few long dresses.

The gentlemen wore dsrk trouses and shirts, some a whole suit, i don't remember anything dressier than that.

Thanks for that. Looking forward to it. Food seems to be the biggest debating point on Costa. Have booked shuttle to Rome and that is the only costa trip. Thanks again.

I have seen a couple of conflicting answers to this question. Does Costa do formal nights and how dressed up do we need to be if they do. Thanks.

Costa calls it Gala Night, not Formal Night. Very few people do formal and I've never seen more than 1 or 2 tuxes at most. I would say it's more cocktail or smart casual, maybe.

Just off the Serena - there was indeed only one Gala night - but to be honest, a LOT dressed up -

who knows, seems to vary from cruise to cruise

Our cruise started with quite an "upmarket" clientele - but ended in an OMG:eek: motley crowd... (more to follow) -I doubt the next gala night in our loop would have brought out much bling

I was glad anyway we didnt take DHs Kilt - he wore tux and cummerbund and I a very simple evening dress - def not as dressed up as we would normally do. Still, saw many tuxes, bow ties and bling - but as I say, as the loop changed - it was def heading downhill ;)

No complaints on the ship or crew though - Serena scored higher for us than we expected!

Thanks for that. Looking forward to it. Food seems to be the biggest debating point on Costa. Have booked shuttle to Rome and that is the only costa trip. Thanks again.

hi, we too are from the Scottish Highlands, we cruised on Favolosa 10th-17th June from Barcelona. The ship is beautiful, we have cruised in the past with Royal Caribbean and although we love RC unless you are on the Oasis Class all the ships seem to have the same layout so we thought we would try another cruise line.

As i said the ship is stunning but unless you are Italian or Spanish dont expect to understand what is going on. The food, well we lived on burgers and chips from the poolside snackbar as there was never anything that we fancied, not once did i see steak, everything seems to be in sauces. Not wanting to put you off as we did have a great time, are you AI ? what a deal that is. if you have any questions just ask, oh by the way, where about you from lol xx

hi, we too are from the Scottish Highlands, we cruised on Favolosa 10th-17th June from Barcelona. The ship is beautiful, we have cruised in the past with Royal Caribbean and although we love RC unless you are on the Oasis Class all the ships seem to have the same layout so we thought we would try another cruise line.

As i said the ship is stunning but unless you are Italian or Spanish dont expect to understand what is going on. The food, well we lived on burgers and chips from the poolside snackbar as there was never anything that we fancied, not once did i see steak, everything seems to be in sauces. Not wanting to put you off as we did have a great time, are you AI ? what a deal that is. if you have any questions just ask, oh by the way, where about you from lol xx

Hi Lacey Jane, yes we are all inclusive for my wife, myself and 2 girls. Really using this cruise as a try and see type cruise. No idea what to expect but we do tend to enjoy our holidays no matter what is thrown at us. Did you do many trips etc. we have one booked to Rome but the rest we are not so sure. Planning a DIY to !Magaluf water park and a beach day in Ibiza. Not sure about Savona and Palermo. We stay in Britains most Northerly town, Thurso.

Thanks everyone for the advice regarding formal/ gala night, not sure now whether to take a dress jacket or just shirt and tie now.

Great ports,

but don't buy the expensive shuttle in ibiza, theres a local bus and a boat service running for much less.

Food is personaltaste. Just be sure to check the times when what is available.

May I ask what you did in Ibiza ? As I've said above not sure what we are doing in each port. Any ideas are greatly received.

Hi Lacey Jane, yes we are all inclusive for my wife, myself and 2 girls. Really using this cruise as a try and see type cruise. No idea what to expect but we do tend to enjoy our holidays no matter what is thrown at us. Did you do many trips etc. we have one booked to Rome but the rest we are not so sure. Planning a DIY to !Magaluf water park and a beach day in Ibiza. Not sure about Savona and Palermo. We stay in Britains most Northerly town, Thurso.

Thanks everyone for the advice regarding formal/ gala night, not sure now whether to take a dress jacket or just shirt and tie now.

Hi Manime, I would say if this is your 1st cruise you will be blown away, as i said it is a beautiful ship and you wont be comparing it with any other cruise. We went on shore at Palma and did the "hop on hop off" bus but you will be able to go to the waterpark as you are in Palma till about 1am (i think), I recommend you go to the back of the ship to the lido deck once its really dark and you will see Palma Cathederal all lit up. We got the shuttle bus in ibiza it was 25 euros for both of us but our tickets were not checked, ibiza town was lovely with HUGE yaghts in the marina. Palermo, well what can i say, it was like a hunting ground with touts trying to get you in their taxis or onto their horse and carraige and a huge road to try and cross where there are traffic lights but the cars/motorbikes intimidate you. Savona was lovely, beautiful buildings, lovely little harbour cafes. Oh by the way, we are from Invergordon and my husband has relatives from Thurso, Rosenda and Teanie Maclean. Have a great cruise xxx

Hi Manime, I would say if this is your 1st cruise you will be blown away, as i said it is a beautiful ship and you wont be comparing it with any other cruise. We went on shore at Palma and did the "hop on hop off" bus but you will be able to go to the waterpark as you are in Palma till about 1am (i think), I recommend you go to the back of the ship to the lido deck once its really dark and you will see Palma Cathederal all lit up. We got the shuttle bus in ibiza it was 25 euros for both of us but our tickets were not checked, ibiza town was lovely with HUGE yaghts in the marina. Palermo, well what can i say, it was like a hunting ground with touts trying to get you in their taxis or onto their horse and carraige and a huge road to try and cross where there are traffic lights but the cars/motorbikes intimidate you. Savona was lovely, beautiful buildings, lovely little harbour cafes. Oh by the way, we are from Invergordon and my husband has relatives from Thurso, Rosenda and Teanie Maclean. Have a great cruise xxx

Sounds good, really can't wait to get going. I do know your husbands relatives as Rosenda is just a couple of years younger than me and their house was about 100yards from mine when we were growing up. Rosenda is also my youngests dinner lady at school. Have loads of friends in Invergordon, played football with loads of guys from there when I played for Brora rangers. Thanks for the info.

seems to vary from cruise to cruise

I would pretty much agree with that, we have found it to be a real mixed bag. The shorter cruises tend to be less dressy, in particular the 7 night western med itinerary which you can embark and disembark at several places.

I can't remember what it was like on the TA but two which spring to mind were 1) Black Sea cruise from Savona where there were many older cruisers and the dress code was very well adhered to. Lots of very smart looking Italians in mice suits.

2) Recent re-positional on the Fortuna which again a good show.

As previously mentioned Costa call them Gala Nights and dress code is suggested.

As a post note - although I had read on here there was only one gala night for our cruise - I wanted to be 100% sure - I emailed Costa - and they indeed answered my email (pre cruise) confirming one gala night, and also the other nights such as "Italian"

I guess - when in doubt - email Costa guest services - give perhaps 72 hours for reply - but they do indeed respond.:)

Also other nights - the dress code was suggested "Informal" -not "smart casual" -

Hilarious watching 70+ year old woman in 6 inch wedges - worth a ringside seat!!

Edited by Blondie008